Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Tutorials, Informative & Classic threads

Tutorials, Informative & Classic threads A new e-Group area for all the wonderful tutorials and helpful threads put on here by our members. Tutorials on using software, camera hardware - and feel free to request a tutorial if you need assistance!

Old 6th July 2017

Liked 220 Times in 100 Posts
Bridal Rain Portrait

This image was taken at a wedding on the 14th November 2015, and the weather was particularly foul.

My main aim was to ensure I lit as much rain as possible, and also provide an interesting composition for the two girls.
Behind the girls at a height of around four feet, there's a Godox Witstro 360Ws (available in various guises and badges, including Cheetah Stands in the US, Strobies or Lencarta etc.). This was married to the dedicated beauty dish but without the grid fitted. Bearing in mind I wanted maximum spill for a couple of reasons. Firstly to illuminate the rain, and also to provide a rim light to the girls and the ground either side.
If I had gridded the beauty dish, the light would have been reduced in output, it wouldn't have spread enough for the full rim light on the girls, and nor would it have lit the rain to the same extent.
The output was set to .

The key/fill light was provided by a Godox 600Ws Energiser (available in different guises from several suppliers). It was mated to a 150cm folding octa with a honeycomb fitted, and at a height of five feet, positioned camera left and a little further forward of my position. I was shooting from a crouched position to ensure I managed to get the reflection in the wet floor.
The key light was also set to a output.

E-M1 1/10th sec ISO400 40-150mm f2.8 @f3.5 & 80mm

The slow shutter speed was to try and gain sufficient ambient light (a bit of a joke, TBH!), whilst trying to keep noise to a minimum with an ISO of 400

Budget version:

Substitute both lights for good speedlights. The rear light should be fitted with a stofen or equivalent and firing at power. You may find you don't quite get the distance for the rain, although I had more than enough for my frame.

The key light will need to be at full power, and should be fired into a silver lined reflective umbrella. The lack of diffusion panel will ensure minimal light loss, but the size of the umbrella will reduce the light's harshness. It's a compromise.
You may be able to move the key light closer to your subjects, although you may need to raise it higher to avoid frame fouling.

Things to bear in mind:

Use clear plastic bags for the light sources (An SB800 detonating in the rain will remove eyebrows far better than wax. Ask me about it sometime!)

Use something to weigh down or tether your lightstands. Umbrellas and softboxes make great parachutes, and will destroy your lighting gear in the slightest breeze.

Wear your waterproofs! Expensive suits look like any other collection of rags when you're soaked to the skin. (yep, you can ask me about that too!)

Ensure your client has suitable weatherproof jackets. They can be taken off for the actual shot, but generally help to reduce the likelihood of a manslaughter charge.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Michael Sewell For This Useful Post:
ashtonsd (7th July 2017), Graham_of_Rainham (7th July 2017), jchallen (7th July 2017), Zedex10r (7th July 2017), Zuiko (6th July 2017)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
AMc (10th July 2017), ashtonsd (7th July 2017), bassman (7th July 2017), Cerebus (6th July 2017), drmarkf (6th July 2017), Graham_of_Rainham (7th July 2017), MJ224 (7th July 2017), PeterBirder (6th July 2017), Zedex10r (7th July 2017)
Old 6th July 2017

Liked 233 Times in 201 Posts
Re: Bridal Rain Portrait

Fantastic shot Michael. Lack of response so far could be caused by 'confusion in the ranks' .......
Old 6th July 2017
Administrator

Thanked 3,146 Times in 2,455 Posts
Liked 4,453 Times in 2,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iso View Post
Fantastic shot Michael. Lack of response so far could be caused by 'confusion in the ranks' .......
Hey, you have to give people a chance to take it all in! There's a lot of info to absorb........

It's way out of my league but I find Michael's walk throughs fascinating and I love the creativity and originality of his work.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following User Liked This Post:
Michael Sewell (6th July 2017)
Old 6th July 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by iso View Post
I do realise that most members are very heavily into wildlife photography, and this kind of thing won't be for them.
However, I do hope it may help attract new members, or pique the interest of established members who may consider widening their repertoire.

Or something like that
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michael Sewell For This Useful Post:
Barr1e (7th July 2017), PeterBirder (6th July 2017)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
MJ224 (7th July 2017), PeterBirder (6th July 2017)
Old 6th July 2017

Liked 1,259 Times in 720 Posts

As someone who spends a great deal of time photographing people candidly, unposed and with whatever providence has given in the way of light, I am always delighted to see and learn what portraiture experts can achieve!

Lovely stuff.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Michael Sewell (8th July 2017)
Old 6th July 2017

Thanked 1,493 Times in 1,421 Posts
Liked 1,405 Times in 896 Posts

Another great tutorial; thanks Michael. I'd love to try some of the shots have shown us but the opportunity and lighting equipment are not on my radar unfortunately.
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
Learn something new every day
Old 6th July 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM USer View Post
Another great tutorial; thanks Michael. I'd love to try some of the shots have shown us but the opportunity and lighting equipment are not on my radar unfortunately.
This is achievable with three speedlights and a brolly.

The girls you'd need to source on your own
Graham_of_Rainham (7th July 2017)
Old 6th July 2017

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 5,995 Times in 1,953 Posts

Very interesting Michael. Maybe one day I'll get into studio work, but for the moment I'm really an ignoramus on it. So - thanks for the education. Lovely shot BTW.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 6th July 2017

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 797 Times in 466 Posts

A very informative tutorial.

Even for those of us who either through lack of opportunity or disinclination for artificially lit photography do not use these techniques learning how light can be "constructed" to give particular effects gives us a better understanding of how we may be better able to make use of different types of natural light to enhance our own photography.

Many thanks for taking the time to produce this.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
Old 7th July 2017

Thanked 1,151 Times in 1,026 Posts
Liked 1,232 Times in 802 Posts

Nice shot, and interesting detail on the lighting set up.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
Michael Sewell (7th July 2017)
Old 7th July 2017

Liked 1,711 Times in 638 Posts

Michael,

Many thanks for the tutorial, I've had a couple of goes at flash portrait work and have not done that well with it... I think my main issue is that I don't fully understand how to choose the flash settings and camera settings to get the best.

I've got Olympus flash guns so that I can use the remote control built into the camera, and set different flash values if required. While this works quite well for fill in photos I cannot get decent photos using the flash as the main light source, they always come out very underexposed.

What is your approach to getting the exposure correct? As you simply state "I've set this at power that at power" and away you go... do you measure the flash, or employ empirical adjustments?

Typical set up I've tried is two FL36R on white umbrella stands indoors plus an optional FL600 for highlighting usually set up with the two umbrellas at around 1.5m left and right 45 degrees either side and slightly above the subject, with the option of an additional slave to give backdrop lighting.

I think I may set up a still life to try the lighting on (as it won't complain as much as my subjects have to date)

Many thanks

Paul

Some Olympus stuff
I didn't get where I am today...
Old 7th July 2017
Administrator

Liked 1,580 Times in 910 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sewell View Post
I do realise that most members are very heavily into wildlife photography, and this kind of thing won't be for them....
While I work at a Wildlife Trust, most of my photography is of people in studios and on location.

Inspirational shots, like these, can be the basis of all sorts of ideas for others to explore.

Thank you for these postings, they are really appreciated.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Michael Sewell (7th July 2017)
Old 7th July 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walti View Post
Michael,

Many thanks for the tutorial, I've had a couple of goes at flash portrait work and have not done that well with it... I think my main issue is that I don't fully understand how to choose the flash settings and camera settings to get the best.

I've got Olympus flash guns so that I can use the remote control built into the camera, and set different flash values if required. While this works quite well for fill in photos I cannot get decent photos using the flash as the main light source, they always come out very underexposed.

What is your approach to getting the exposure correct? As you simply state "I've set this at power that at power" and away you go... do you measure the flash, or employ empirical adjustments?

Typical set up I've tried is two FL36R on white umbrella stands indoors plus an optional FL600 for highlighting usually set up with the two umbrellas at around 1.5m left and right 45 degrees either side and slightly above the subject, with the option of an additional slave to give backdrop lighting.

I think I may set up a still life to try the lighting on (as it won't complain as much as my subjects have to date)

Many thanks

Paul

With regards to 1/4 or 1/2 output, I'm referring to using the speedlight in manual mode, where you dial the required output.
TTL can give inconsistent results, because it relies on measuring the amount of light being bounced back from the subject, and this can vary depending on a number of factors, including colours.
A bridal gown will reflect more light, and can fool the TTL into registering the scene as over exposed, quenching the flash early and causing the scene to be under exposed.
A groom in a black or charcoal suit will reflect less light, and cause the TTL system to attempt to increase the light output to compensate, over exposing the scene.

By taking manual control, you are developing the look of the image exactly as you intend to record it. Adjusting the output of the speedlights up or down to get the effect you want.

Does that make sense?
The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Sewell For This Useful Post:
Walti (7th July 2017)
Old 7th July 2017

Liked 1,711 Times in 638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sewell View Post
With regards to 1/4 or 1/2 output, I'm referring to using the speedlight in manual mode, where you dial the required output.
TTL can give inconsistent results, because it relies on measuring the amount of light being bounced back from the subject, and this can vary depending on a number of factors, including colours.
A bridal gown will reflect more light, and can fool the TTL into registering the scene as over exposed, quenching the flash early and causing the scene to be under exposed.
A groom in a black or charcoal suit will reflect less light, and cause the TTL system to attempt to increase the light output to compensate, over exposing the scene.

By taking manual control, you are developing the look of the image exactly as you intend to record it. Adjusting the output of the speedlights up or down to get the effect you want.

Does that make sense?
Yes that makes sense, how do you work out the starting point though? Especially when using reflectors and umbrellas.

Some Olympus stuff
I didn't get where I am today...
Old 7th July 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walti View Post
Yes that makes sense, how do you work out the starting point though? Especially when using reflectors and umbrellas.
Experience will give you an idea what light output you get at a given setting with a given modifier at a given distance to the subject.
.Yeah, I know, it doesn't help

However, a rule of thumb would be to put them all at 1/4 output, Camera at ISO400, 1/125th sec and f5.6 and take a test shot. Then you can adjust up or down as required. (This is assuming an indoor environment).

1/4 output leaves you with two stops more output going up, and up to five stops going down. (If your speedlight goes down to 1/128th)