Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Exhibitions, stock photos, professional work

Exhibitions, stock photos, professional work This board concentrates on topics that explore the potential of your photography being seen by a wider audience and even earning you some money.

Old 6th October 2016

Liked 46 Times in 10 Posts
Re: Looking for some advice after applying for Sports work

Ha Dave. NPN was a blast at the time, no power boat shots allowed though Think I was only posting macro then as well, heck I was a moderator on there. Ahhh many moons ago Dave and I still have your butt shots ....... birds of course ..... feathered kind, LOL. I must post those back up somewhere and get a few more off ya. Got a heck of a lot myself now days

Thanks John. I tried the E-M10 last year on the power boats between the main races, not too bad, but was still not sure about it. After another thousand or two BIF shots, I know it will work well. So starting in March next year, the E-M10 will be stuck behind the Canon lenses for sure on them.

All the best.

Danny.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Zuiko (6th October 2016)
Old 6th October 2016

Liked 1,313 Times in 792 Posts

As crazy as it seems it's was probably 15 years ago we were hanging out there. I moved to NS.net for a while after the mass migration but haven't hung out there for years.

David M's Photoblog or follow me on Instagram.
Old 6th October 2016

Liked 2,279 Times in 1,506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzmacro View Post
I was asked at one time to take milk drops into a bowl. Everyone was running around taking pretty coloured water drops at the time, but this was for a milk company in Malaysia. I submitted the shot and was told it didn't have the size they were after. So, I told them I would redo the RAW and send it again. The camera was jpg only. I simply enlarged the file and sent it off again. The money went into the bank account. So it just goes to show how daft it all is really. It's frustrating for sure.

All the best and yep, it is just nuts sometimes.

Danny.
Going back to earlier days of digital photography I remember reading reports that photo agencies wouldn't accept images taken on the Olympus E1 because it didn't have a high enough pixel count. (I seem to remember they expected 6 MP or above).

However, if you interpolated an E1 image in Photoshop to double the pixel count they would accept it!

Sadly, quantity always seems to win out over quality in the modern day world.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following Users Liked This Post:
nzmacro (7th October 2016), Zuiko (6th October 2016)
Old 6th October 2016
Administrator

Thanked 3,149 Times in 2,458 Posts
Liked 4,455 Times in 2,116 Posts

Getting back to the original problem, if it's mainly a group of photography students who are being exploited, what's to stop them joining together to form their own agency? They could probably undercut their present "employer" and still earn a lot more from it.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Naughty Nigel (9th October 2016), nzmacro (7th October 2016), RogerMac (6th October 2016)
Old 9th October 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Getting back to the original problem, if it's mainly a group of photography students who are being exploited, what's to stop them joining together to form their own agency? They could probably undercut their present "employer" and still earn a lot more from it.
That is a good plan John. The problem though, I suspect, is that many of the photography students will be unfamiliar with this genre of photography, and/or would have difficulty setting up the necessary 'studio' facilities.

There is also the matter of having the necessary software (to automatically identify competitors from their numbers), and a website on which to sell the images. I daresay they would have had to pay the Great North Run organisers to be there as well.

The job basically entailed taking several thousand mugshots of non-professional runners standing in front of backdrops of the Tyne Bridge; rather like typical school photographs taken against a backdrop of a library. A monkey could have been trained to do the same job - just as long as he didn't stray down the road to Hartlepool!

The same company seems to cover just about every mass participation sporting event in the country, using exactly the same formula.

A much better alternative would be for the students to apply to the organisers for press passes, allowing photography on the route, but I suspect these are very carefully controlled, and are probably conditional on silver crossing the right person's palm!

However, my greatest ire is aimed at the university's staff, who told the students that ' this is the real world', and 'this is the kind of work (and pay) you can expect as a graduate photographer' - which I would suggest goes to show just how in touch these people are with the real world.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 9th October 2016
Administrator

Thanked 3,149 Times in 2,458 Posts
Liked 4,455 Times in 2,116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
That is a good plan John. The problem though, I suspect, is that many of the photography students will be unfamiliar with this genre of photography, and/or would have difficulty setting up the necessary 'studio' facilities.

There is also the matter of having the necessary software (to automatically identify competitors from their numbers), and a website on which to sell the images. I daresay they would have had to pay the Great North Run organisers to be there as well.

The job basically entailed taking several thousand mugshots of non-professional runners standing in front of backdrops of the Tyne Bridge; rather like typical school photographs taken against a backdrop of a library. A monkey could have been trained to do the same job - just as long as he didn't stray down the road to Hartlepool!

The same company seems to cover just about every mass participation sporting event in the country, using exactly the same formula.

A much better alternative would be for the students to apply to the organisers for press passes, allowing photography on the route, but I suspect these are very carefully controlled, and are probably conditional on silver crossing the right person's palm!

However, my greatest ire is aimed at the university's staff, who told the students that ' this is the real world', and 'this is the kind of work (and pay) you can expect as a graduate photographer' - which I would suggest goes to show just how in touch these people are with the real world.
Yes, the exploitation of the students by the events company really comes as no surprise. It is the advice and attitude of the university that causes the most concern, I hope my daughter has a better experience when she studies photography at uni next year.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following User Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (10th October 2016)
Old 9th October 2016

Liked 1,313 Times in 792 Posts

In the 70's students did an industrial secondment in a photo department. I did mine at Rolls Royce and a Shell research establishment. They were unpaid but educational. As all my lecturers had worked in photography before teaching I can't see them agreeing to this sort of gig.

David M's Photoblog or follow me on Instagram.
Naughty Nigel (10th October 2016), Zuiko (10th October 2016)
Old 10th October 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Yes, the exploitation of the students by the events company really comes as no surprise. It is the advice and attitude of the university that causes the most concern, I hope my daughter has a better experience when she studies photography at uni next year.
I hope so too John. Gigs of the type that we are discussing could be done by almost anyone with a suitable camera, and certainly don't need experience.

The course content so far has been good and varied, with much of the work done in B&W using large and medium format cameras. Students have to process their own films and learn how make enlargements from the negatives. There is more use of colour from the second year onwards.

However, I have always been of the opinion that the use of coloured filters is an essential part of B&W photography, (outside of a studio at least), but this aspect is not taught at all.

When the subject was raised with the principle tutor he responded that 'nobody uses filters anymore; we do it in Photoshop or when enlarging'.

I would dearly love to know how this works when using B&W film?

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing