Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 11th May 2013
Floribunda

Re: Dothill Pool and Tee Lake

No way I'll get bored Tim - the swan family is gorgeous and I do hope they will be ok.
Old 11th May 2013

Liked 3,047 Times in 875 Posts

I have just been catching up on this thread Tim. Excellent work, keep it up. I can't believe you have seen a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker there! I have been searching for one of these increasingly rare birds for years, without success. Congratulations on finding, and photographing, one.

Ron
Old 12th May 2013

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Timmy ! PHEW! What a great session you enjoyed there Magnificant Signets and Swans and Robin

Thanks for sharing I do so enjoy you outings
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 12th May 2013

Thanked 1,151 Times in 1,026 Posts
Liked 1,232 Times in 802 Posts

Only revisited this thread glad you have kept it going a great record of your private reserve. Well done with the woodpecker, the shot of the coot on the nest stands out for me, keep posting please

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
Old 12th May 2013

Liked 295 Times in 147 Posts

Glad you are keeping this thread going its quite an inspiration to see the different aspects you manage to capture in a location close to home. Long may the thread continue.

Tom

Its not what you see, it's the way that you see it"

Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/photofxstudios
Old 12th May 2013

Liked 260 Times in 121 Posts

Thank you for all the positive feedback, I am enjoying going over for a stroll now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterBirder View Post
You can keep this thread going as long as you like as far as I'm concerned Tim.

Your "local patch on the doorstep" is turning out to be a real gem. Lesser Spotted Woodpecker...Wow.

If you can find time to keep your County Recorder/BTO updated with sightings and counts that would be a fantastic contribution to conservation.
The threat of building development is worrying as this sounds like a site that needs protecting for the future. It might be worth contacting you local Wildlife Trust http://www.shropshirewildlifetrust.org.uk/ who should have an interest in such issues.

Looking forward to seeing more from your "gem"

It appears that the Shropshire Wildlife Trust are aware of the area:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trust is looking for funding to gather information and data on wildlife in Telford, with the aim of identifying the most important habitats.

Dothill could be awarded Local Nature Reserve status
Parts of Dothill and Apley could be two of the contenders. Shropshire Wildlife Trust is currently pressing for Dothill to be awarded Local Nature Reserve (LNR) status. Meanwhile, Apley's woodland and pool have also proved popular with local residents.
Much has already been achieved in the area, as well as projects with schools, the trust launched Wrekin Forest Volunteers, who have been looking after areas around the Ercall and Wrekin, as well as further afield.
Project officer Pete Lambert was also cautious about what the scale of the planned housing might mean for Telford wildlife: "We've got some sites protected. Other sites are just hanging on there, little-known, unsurveyed, very vulnerable to development."
Mr Lambert singled out Langley Fields as one of the most vulnerable sites under current proposals.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It appears funding is the issue, as it is with many of these things I imagine.

I have also found out there is a local nature committee too run by our local MP.
I have lived in Stokesay Road for 16 years and I know Dothill very well. I am retired and will be available to deal with your problems at all times.

I am the Chairman of the Dothill Local Nature Reserve Committee which, with the assistance of Shropshire Wildlife Trust and Telford & Wrekin Council, is in the process of protecting the green area between Dothill and Shawbirch from any more building so that it remains an attractive part of Dothill.

I have also been researching the area too, it appears that the area used to be a Deer Park and the two pools used to be ornamental fish lakes in the gardens of the local Manor House which was destroyed in the 50's.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33153464@N07/
The Following User Says Thank You to timmypreston For This Useful Post:
PeterBirder (12th May 2013)
Old 12th May 2013

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 797 Times in 466 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmypreston View Post
It appears that the Shropshire Wildlife Trust are aware of the area:
The trust is looking for funding to gather information and data on wildlife in Telford, with the aim of identifying the most important habitats.

Dothill could be awarded Local Nature Reserve status
Parts of Dothill and Apley could be two of the contenders. Shropshire Wildlife Trust is currently pressing for Dothill to be awarded Local Nature Reserve (LNR) status. Meanwhile, Apley's woodland and pool have also proved popular with local residents.
Much has already been achieved in the area, as well as projects with schools, the trust launched Wrekin Forest Volunteers, who have been looking after areas around the Ercall and Wrekin, as well as further afield.
Project officer Pete Lambert was also cautious about what the scale of the planned housing might mean for Telford wildlife: "We've got some sites protected. Other sites are just hanging on there, little-known, unsurveyed, very vulnerable to development."
Mr Lambert singled out Langley Fields as one of the most vulnerable sites under current proposals.

It appears funding is the issue, as it is with many of these things I imagine.

I have also found out there is a local nature committee too run by our local MP.
I have lived in Stokesay Road for 16 years and I know Dothill very well. I am retired and will be available to deal with your problems at all times.

I am the Chairman of the Dothill Local Nature Reserve Committee which, with the assistance of Shropshire Wildlife Trust and Telford & Wrekin Council, is in the process of protecting the green area between Dothill and Shawbirch from any more building so that it remains an attractive part of Dothill.

I have also been researching the area too, it appears that the area used to be a Deer Park and the two pools used to be ornamental fish lakes in the gardens of the local Manor House which was destroyed in the 50's.
That sounds more encouraging Tim.
I hope a successful conclusion can be reached.

Regards.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
Old 12th May 2013

Liked 564 Times in 336 Posts

With your photographic record to prove the diversity of wildlife, I should think there is a good chance. don't be afraid to mention this to the various people involved , they will jump at the chance.
Keep up the good work, I love this thread.
Old 12th May 2013

Liked 1,383 Times in 358 Posts

Quote:
I am not sure but I think this is a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, a first for me! Apparently these are becoming quite rare and are in rapid decline.

Lesser Spotted Woodpecker 06052013 by Tim J Preston, on Flickr
Yes it looks like a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, well spotted. Do you remember the size of the bird? Also what kind of tree was it hanging on?

This species is not so common in Western Europe due mainly to environmental changes caused by human. I have yet to spot one.

My Gallery on 500px
Old 12th May 2013

It was relatively small, bigger than a tree creeper but not bigger than a Blackbird. I didn't pay attention to the tree but I'll look next time I go. I think it was after insects. I took this at about 7am in the morning. It was extremely quick. Unfortunately it was disturbed by a dog walker and shot off before I could get a decent shot.

I spent an hour in the same area yesterday but no sign. Not sure what size territory they have.

To give you an idea of the habitat overall here is an aerial map view.

Dothill and Tee Lake by Tim J Preston, on Flickr

Dothill Pool, where the swans live, is lower right. Tee Lake is the bigger longer pool. There is a mixture of grassland, small copses and a denser wood to the in the left of the blue line. As you can see there is a whole area of grassland and a bigger wood to the left I haven't been to yet. The area is surrounded by housing and roads. The blue dot is where I am. All of the pictures have been taken within the blue border.

Old 13th May 2013

Couldn't resist a wander over there tonight to check on the Swans and see if any of the 3 Coots nests had produced any young!

Sadly though it appears that the Moorhen nest has been abandoned, not seen her sitting now for over a week and the nest appears empty. All 3 Coots nests are still occupied though, still no sign of any scruffy chicks yet.

All Swans are still accounted for and they seemed to have survived yesterdays terrible storms unscathed.

Mute Swan Family 13052013 by Tim J Preston, on Flickr

Not a crop I would normally use but I thought it suited it the picture.

The feather structure on the adults is nothing short of amazing.

Mute Swan Feather Detail 13052013 by Tim J Preston, on Flickr

Mrs Swan(I think) was busy feeding on the overhanginging Willow.

Mute Swan eating Willow 13052013 by Tim J Preston, on Flickr

Then we were all disturbed by another type of bird! No idea what it was doing but it was very low, circled twice and then disapeared!

Merlin over Dothill by Tim J Preston, on Flickr

I believe it was a Merlin.

I also bumped into another lady walking her dog and with a camera in hand. She asked me if I had seen the Cuckoo tonight! Apparently one resides in an old burnt out tree at the edge of the field! By the time we had finished talking though it was too dark to go investigating. One for the weekend to look forward to!

Old 13th May 2013

Thanked 1,151 Times in 1,026 Posts
Liked 1,232 Times in 802 Posts

You have caught the feather detail really well. like the copter.

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
The Following User Says Thank You to Wee man For This Useful Post:
timmypreston (13th May 2013)
Old 13th May 2013

Liked 1,383 Times in 358 Posts

Quote:

It was relatively small, bigger than a tree creeper but not bigger than a Blackbird. I didn't pay attention to the tree but I'll look next time I go. I think it was after insects.
Size assessment can be deceptive. Had you said the size of a Sparrow it would have been conclusive, but the size of Blackbird... Anyway the absence of red in the butt tells it is a lesser spotted Woodpecker. They are selective regarding habitat and will prefer trees with soft wood such as Birch, Poplar, Alder, species often found around ponds and wetlands.

My Gallery on 500px
Old 13th May 2013

Liked 3,047 Times in 875 Posts

Nice to see that the pen is doing such a good job of looking after her young family. I like the shot of her feeding from the trees. Nice work Tim.

Ron
Old 13th May 2013

I've got a feeling they may take up a fair bit of this thread now. The Cob is extremely aggressive at the moment constantly hissing and his wings are always in the raised position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tordan58 View Post
Size assessment can be deceptive. Had you said the size of a Sparrow it would have been conclusive, but the size of Blackbird... Anyway the absence of red in the butt tells it is a lesser spotted Woodpecker. They are selective regarding habitat and will prefer trees with soft wood such as Birch, Poplar, Alder, species often found around ponds and wetlands.
Not bigger than a blackbird.

The bird ID has been confirmed by The Shropshire Ornithological Society and the Rare Birds Breeding Partnership who have both requested grid references for their bird Atlases.

What is amusing is the sight of the ducklings scooting across the surface of the water catching flies. Yet to capture on picture yet though.