Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Legacy Lenses

Legacy Lenses Discuss the use of older lenses, using adapters, from the Olympus OM system, Leica M and R-series, and the millions of others too.

Old 30th July 2012

Liked 289 Times in 143 Posts
X-Fujinon to m4/3 adapter

I found myself a rather nice Porst (made by Fuji) 50mm f1.2 lens with an X-Fujinon mount.

http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Fujica_X_lenses

So i purchased an adapter. This one --

Amazon Amazon

I did shop around but this adapter seems to be the only one available from all sellers. The adapter fits fine and is well made, it's actually tighter than the other Chinese adapters i have for other lenses. However, like OM lenses the X-Fujinon mount has an aperture coupling that needs to be activated to allow manual changing of the aperture. The OM to Micro 4/3 adapter has a small metal object in place to latch the aperture coupling -- this one doesn't. When the lens is attached to the camera there is no way for man or machine to stop down the aperture at all, it's permanently fully open.

What is the idiot (me) missing here? I've searched the tinternet and can find nothing on this adapter situation. It appears that everyone is happily using this adapter on their x-Fujinon lenses with no issues at all. I do have it working temporarily, with cotton thread i've tied the coupling to the adjacent fixed object and have control over the aperture.

Any thoughts?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/122278067@N06/
Old 30th July 2012

Liked 314 Times in 128 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka
Re: X-Fujinon to m4/3 adapter

That brings back memories! I had an AX1 and an AX3 in the early 80s but switched to Minolta when it became clear that Fuji wasn't going anywhere. I liked the bodies although the fast standard lens suffered from vignetting at full aperture. I think mine was the 50mm f1.2 and I also had a 55mm and the 80-200mm.

EM1i, EM1ii, EM10ii
Old 30th July 2012

Hi David, that 50mm f1.2 is highly sought after these days and good examples fetch a tidy sum -- hence my Porst Color Reflex which looks unused.

Old 30th July 2012

Just minutes ago i finally found some reference to my issue, on the Sony Nex Talk forum on DPR, written a couple months ago. Where's a dentist when you need one?

Quote:
Please be aware that the Kiwifotos adapter does not engage the aperture lever so you'll have to find an alternative way of doing that. My suggestion it to use rubber bands intended for use with dental braces.
A shame that, yet more 'defective' Chinese junk to add to the collection.

Old 30th July 2012

Liked 1,291 Times in 498 Posts

Well I never. A range of lenses that passed my by completely ..

They look quite tasty, and that 28mm f1.9 is quite a brave design. I wonder if it's any good...

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 31st July 2012

Liked 1,313 Times in 792 Posts

I now regret selling my screw mount EBC Fujinon 600mm f/5.6. I paid 300 for it and sold it for 500 but now I'd like to try hanging an E-System body off the back of one.

David M's Photoblog or follow me on Instagram.
Old 31st July 2012

Liked 314 Times in 128 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka

I think the mistake Fuji made was going for their own mount rather than the K mount. The bodies were good but the choice of lenses very limited compared to other manufacturers.

I guess all legacy lenses get a new lease of life when they can so easily be fitted to a modern body. I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of an adapter so that I can try my newly acquired Oly 35mm shift lens.

EM1i, EM1ii, EM10ii