Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 1st June 2019

Liked 534 Times in 373 Posts
Re: W10 peek-a-boo for Junes update

but having sucked it up we get on with using all the facilities we need or want, I have USB, on Macbook, I could have pen on the iPad, I have high speed image input into the Macbook.
Old 2nd June 2019

Thanked 1,116 Times in 699 Posts
Liked 1,460 Times in 729 Posts

After reading through all of the above, especially the pro comments, I decided to bite the bullet and upgraded to W10. To coin a phrase from MASH - suicide is painless - it was exactly that.

Downloaded W10 from the official MS web-site and took the dog for our morning stroll. Came back, pressed a few keys to finish the updates etc., and it worked straight out of the box as it were.

Just needed to download 1 driver and was ready to rock & roll.

A few tweeks and a fair load of the dreaded MS crapperoony has gone down the chocolate tube ... hopefully, never to resurface at the next W10 update session.
PS: If it doesn't work for you, the option to revert back to W7 is still there to use.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Old 2nd June 2019

Thanked 1,402 Times in 1,294 Posts
Liked 2,334 Times in 1,108 Posts

Interesting comments guys. Having recently jumped for a Dell Win10 laptop I still find myself not using it as much as I do this old win7 desktop. I think it's just operator familiarity really (or senility!) and I haven't quite worked out the best way to organise my files and Lightroom catalogue on the new system yet as it seems I can't get it to share easily between both systems.
Any suggestions and hints of what to turn off in Win 10 that Jax and Wally eluded to would be most helpful. It works fine and quick but just feels rather busy to me and I don't feel in control of it yet.
Old 2nd June 2019

Liked 2,269 Times in 1,499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
Any suggestions and hints of what to turn off in Win 10 that Jax and Wally eluded to would be most helpful. It works fine and quick but just feels rather busy to me and I don't feel in control of it yet.
There is an option in Windows Update to delay installing all but critical updates for four months if I remember correctly. That way others get to beta test updates before you do.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 2nd June 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekW View Post
but having sucked it up we get on with using all the facilities we need or want, I have USB, on Macbook, I could have pen on the iPad, I have high speed image input into the Macbook.
And a mouse?

The new MacBooks don't have USB sockets or Ethernet ports either. I asked at the Apple store in Newcastle and was offered a pair of expensive adaptors.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 2nd June 2019

Liked 693 Times in 471 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
My experience with Win 10 on a Windows Surface Book 2 is appalling. Stability is poor and there are glitches in everything from the keyboard to the power management. Junk.
Thereís no excuse for this surely, the Surface Book is a Microsoft device so if anything is going to run together smoothly youíd think it would be a MS O/S on a MS device (yes, I realise there isnít actually a Microsoft factory knocking out the Surface devices).
Apple manage it and they donít make their stuff either!
Old 2nd June 2019

Liked 693 Times in 471 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
And a mouse?

The new MacBooks don't have USB sockets or Ethernet ports either. I asked at the Apple store in Newcastle and was offered a pair of expensive adaptors.
Thereís a rumour that mouse support is coming in the next release of IOS. Canít say Iíve missed not having it. All the new MacBooks have USB-C but lack the useful stuff. For me the MagSafe power connector was the greatest loss.
Plenty of cheapish adaptors out there to give you USB-A, Ethernet, HDMI etc

Still waiting to buy a new MacBook Pro but the spec I want is a huge shock to the wallet.
Old 2nd June 2019

Liked 472 Times in 248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
After reading through all of the above, especially the pro comments, I decided to bite the bullet and upgraded to W10. To coin a phrase from MASH - suicide is painless - it was exactly that.

Downloaded W10 from the official MS web-site and took the dog for our morning stroll. Came back, pressed a few keys to finish the updates etc., and it worked straight out of the box as it were.

Just needed to download 1 driver and was ready to rock & roll.

A few tweeks and a fair load of the dreaded MS crapperoony has gone down the chocolate tube ... hopefully, never to resurface at the next W10 update session.
PS: If it doesn't work for you, the option to revert back to W7 is still there to use.
Can I ask, Wally, did you do the free upgrade from Win7 to Win10 via the 'How To' thread you posted or did you pay for Win10? If you did the free upgrade, how did you manage it, I'm having difficulties.

Keith
Old 3rd June 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
Any suggestions and hints of what to turn off in Win 10 that Jax and Wally eluded to would be most helpful...
I went through each of the apps I didn't want: ie., XBox, Candy Crap etc., and found that it now allows the option to be removed from the system. There are still the odd exceptions. This wasn't possible in the previous version I used several years back.

Within the new update menu - as NN hinted at - it does allow updates to be held in limbo via various options - 7 day's etc., = you decide.

I've also found it to be much faster to load on my 2 years + old system, under 20 seconds.

It's early days and it's looking good. I had to update a single driver, Intel GFX card and it was found and sorted via the Intel Driver Update.

For those still on W7, everything was carried over 'as is / was' on W7.

I didn't need to go through any qualifying sign-ins as the official MS updater proggie now uses a digital system to check the validity of the previous system.

The option to revert back to W7 remains.

Old 3rd June 2019

Liked 3,486 Times in 1,626 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
My experience with Win 10 on a Windows Surface Book 2 is appalling. Stability is poor and there are glitches in everything from the keyboard to the power management. Junk. And to top it all, the UI is as ugly as sin.
I use a Surface 3, with Windows 10, as a second computer (when in the lounge with it on my knees). I have rarely had any problem with it, it works very well with a mouse, and the pen works with MOST apps/programmes. It boots up in 20 seconds, and is reasonably fast with its i5 chip. I have used it for several years now, so that chip is of older generation I guess. The battery is beginning to have a shorter life, so may need replacing. The keyboard is not hot, but usable. The screen gives very good colour, but a little small for optimum use. The Surface is excellent for putting in the camera bag and taking away on holiday....

I have used Windows 10 since it was upgraded from W8, other than the update enforcement, it works very well for me....

You might have guessed that I like it.... (gerry 1963)

My Flickr
Old 3rd June 2019

Quote:
I went through each of the apps I didn't want: ie., XBox, Candy Crap etc., and found that it now allows the option to be removed from the system. There are still the odd exceptions. This wasn't possible in the previous version I used several years back.

Within the new update menu - as NN hinted at - it does allow updates to be held in limbo via various options - 7 day's etc., = you decide.

I've also found it to be much faster to load on my 2 years + old system, under 20 seconds.

It's early days and it's looking good. I had to update a single driver, Intel GFX card and it was found and sorted via the Intel Driver Update.

For those still on W7, everything was carried over 'as is / was' on W7.

I didn't need to go through any qualifying sign-ins as the official MS updater proggie now uses a digital system to check the validity of the previous system.

The option to revert back to W7 remains.
Was this a paid update from W7 Wally or did you somehow get a free update to W10?

Also, was this a corporate-type machine that came with W7 pre-installed as these seem to be much easier to install OS upgrades on. The machine I have in mind is an HP 8200 SFF that originally came with the option of installing W7 or W8/8.1 but also had a DVD for those who wanted to install Xp.

(I am wanting to give said machine to someone who isn't very computer literate so I would rather them have a current OS rather than be faced with updating it themselves when W7 ceases to be supported.)

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 3rd June 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
Was this a paid update from W7 Wally or did you somehow get a free update to W10?
My Lappie is an Lenovo which came with W8 pre-installed. I suffered for months and in the end purchased a W7 Pro installation disk. I then upgraded to W10 on the MS update offer and wasn't impressed. Again, after a while, I upgraded to W7 using the W7 Installation CD via the DVD / Bluray drive.

This time around, as the free update offer had expired 2 years or so ago, I downloaded the W10 OS Installation dowload facility from the provided link on the MS website.

As said earlier, the process was painless and, required no - Product Key - input from me to allow the process to complete. The W10 update process, as I understand it, is done digitally during the installation check process.

I can only presume it either works or it stays as is prior to the W10 update process. This links to the required procedure https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/soft...load/windows10

Hope this helps?

Old 3rd June 2019

Quote:
My Lappie is an Lenovo which came with W8 pre-installed. I suffered for months and in the end purchased a W7 Pro installation disk. I then upgraded to W10 on the MS update offer and wasn't impressed. Again, after a while, I upgraded to W7 using the W7 Installation CD via the DVD / Bluray drive.

This time around, as the free update offer had expired 2 years or so ago, I downloaded the W10 OS Installation dowload facility from the provided link on the MS website.

As said earlier, the process was painless and, required no - Product Key - input from me to allow the process to complete. The W10 update process, as I understand it, is done digitally during the installation check process.

I can only presume it either works or it stays as is prior to the W10 update process. This links to the required procedure https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/soft...load/windows10

Hope this helps?
Which answers the question I asked earlier, thanks.

From what you say, your laptop has already had Win 10 installed on it via the free upgrade when it was available. If that is correct, then perhaps your machine will have kept that information and allowed the update again without any more ado.
Old 3rd June 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith-369 View Post
Which answers the question I asked earlier, thanks.

From what you say, your laptop has already had Win 10 installed on it via the free upgrade when it was available. If that is correct, then perhaps your machine will have kept that information and allowed the update again without any more ado.

My apologies. Should have paid more attention. as I missed out on that query?

Just to clarify: I reinstalled W7 onto a new SSD, so the original software W8 / W10 etc., wasn't there to overwrite. Thus, the only product key available for digital checks would have been for W7.

The Following User Says Thank You to Wally For This Useful Post:
Keith-369 (3rd June 2019)
Old 3rd June 2019

Quote:
My apologies. Should have paid more attention. as I missed out on that query?

Just to clarify: I reinstalled W7 onto a new SSD, so the original software W8 / W10 etc., wasn't there to overwrite. Thus, the only product key available for digital checks would have been for W7.
Ahh, thanks for that, Wally. I tried an update using the USB drive method but it wouldn't let me, saying that Win10 wouldn't install whilst a USB was in a socket.
I also tried using a USB drive which I made when the free upgrade offer was available, it allowed the USB drive but did not allow my Win7 product code.

I'll give it another go over the next couple of days and see what happens on a direct upgrade.