Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 25th July 2017

Liked 1,382 Times in 810 Posts
Returned from a long absence

Hello everyone.
I received an email about the forum update this morning, and thought "OMG! It's ages since I visited the forum!" Over a year, in fact. Doesn't time fly? So I thought I would pop in and say hello, and see if I can find a bit of time to become active again. Though I have to say, photography has taken very much a back seat over the last year. I bought a PL7 last year, and found myself using that more and more, its light weight and very smooth shutter release weaning me off the M5 more and more, when I could find the time to take photographs. (May even flog my P3 too)

I read some of the discussion on what to do with one's photographs and (paraphrasing) a tendency to boredom with keep doing the same thing. It's definitely an issue. I have a subscription to AP. I find myself more and more bored with it. The subjects are monotonous: often 'how to do XXX' is something I won't ever be doing now at my age; equipment reviews, well, with prices going up in leaps and bounds, I won't be buying new stuff any time soon; and adverts, well, I need say nothing. Take all that out, and what is there? I like to record this that and the other of what I have done or seen. I still lead a U3A photo group, and we go out as a group. But now in my 70s, I'm not likely to set the world on fire, and I'm not going to expend a lot of effort trying to "improve" after 54 years of serious photography. (And an awful lot of other things to keep me busy now)

So many people take photographs now, of every imaginable subject, it's almost impossible to do something new or "exciting"; yet this seems to be the overarching thrust of magazines and clubs. Very often the "exciting" is more a product of Photoshop than of the cameraman. It would be lovely and very useful to get some ideas on how to do some 'different' things with our cameras, without busting our ancient guts, and not have to worry about complying with the club or competition scene! Maybe I'll find some ideas back on the forum.....
The Following User Says Thank You to KeithL For This Useful Post:
iso (25th July 2017)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
cliff (19th August 2017), Ian (25th July 2017), iso (25th July 2017), Janet (26th July 2017), OM USer (27th July 2017), Ronel100 (25th July 2017)
Old 25th July 2017
Administrator

Thanked 2,521 Times in 1,269 Posts
Liked 1,692 Times in 768 Posts
Re: Returned from a long absence

Well at least can say my newsletter had at least one positive result

Welcome back Keith!

Ian

PS I edit a page in AP (Tech Help) every week - hope you don't find that boring!
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian For This Useful Post:
KeithL (25th July 2017)
Old 25th July 2017

Liked 122 Times in 62 Posts

I know what you mean Keith... good to see you back
The Following User Says Thank You to crimbo For This Useful Post:
KeithL (25th July 2017)
Old 25th July 2017
Administrator

Liked 1,580 Times in 910 Posts

Hello again, welcome back

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
The Following User Says Thank You to Graham_of_Rainham For This Useful Post:
KeithL (25th July 2017)
Old 25th July 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Well at least can say my newsletter had at least one positive result

Welcome back Keith!

Ian

PS I edit a page in AP (Tech Help) every week - hope you don't find that boring!
Of course I do Some of the questions are a bit naff, though, aren't they....?:roll eyes: (Go on, admit it! I know, you have to cater for beginners and all that...) Actually, I liked Inbox, and I am not happy at it being cut down to only about two letters a week. I am not going on Facebook for it. AP seems to have shrunk a lot of late; perhaps inevitable with a weekly publication.

So many things now suffer from overload. Take TV; how many new ideas are there? Not just lots of repeats, but now remakes of old comedy shows, like Dad's Army. And they are rarely anywhere near as good as the original. I think we all suffer from sensory flooding from all sorts of directions.
Ian (25th July 2017), iso (25th July 2017)
Old 25th July 2017

Liked 233 Times in 201 Posts

Keith - for sakes keep coming with your comments. Been on a long costal walk today so flagging a bit. There is much in them that needs a response. What is Photography for???? etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to iso For This Useful Post:
KeithL (26th July 2017)
Ian (25th July 2017), KeithL (26th July 2017)
Old 26th July 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by iso View Post
Keith - for sakes keep coming with your comments. Been on a long costal walk today so flagging a bit. There is much in them that needs a response. What is Photography for???? etc.
I will do my best, time permitting! I'll try to post a pic or two so that you can tear them to pieces (metaphorically, anyway....) I haven't being feeling very artistic of late, so they might be a little lower than my usual standard. If I have one.

One of these days, I'll get around to dragging my 1938 Leica IIIb out, put a film in, and go and do some real photography. Or even the Pentax S1 that I bought in 1963 and still in lovely order. I think I need bringing down to earth with a small bump. One of my friends is into the "gotta have more equipment" syndrome; based on, "you need more and more kit to get good photographs". This lady is quite small, and lugs around the biggest gadget bag I've ever seen! (well, not quite) It must weigh 30 or 40 lbs. We worry that she will damage her back. BTW - that's without tripods, and other accessories stuffed in pockets and filling each available hand. And on one of our group outings, she missed the best photo opportunities! She took a compact on her hols recently, and was worried that she wouldn't use the big stuff afterwards. I suggested that she borrow my Leica or Pentax, that would have REALLY brought her down to earth with a crash. Why do people get in this mode? A lens for every eventuality? Several camera bodies, some full frame, some APS-C. All carried together! That isn't what photography is about, is it?

My wife used to be a pro photographer; her boss said to me about 50 years back, "you want to waste a lot less time worrying about the technology of taking photographs and spend a lot more time on the the art of creating good pictures." He never spoke a truer word.

Now there's a topic for you!
The Following User Says Thank You to KeithL For This Useful Post:
iso (26th July 2017)
Old 26th July 2017

Liked 233 Times in 201 Posts

Thanks KL. More words of wisdom. The gadget thing is, I understand, the same for those that participate in Golf or Lake Fishing, or, or ????. Guess we are all guilty of it to one extent or another. I do have more Glass than I need, or to be honest, actually use. But at least I have drawn a line now and am content with what I have. Just need to work on the end result bit!

In the same vein what are your thoughts on post-processing?? I mean the 'sophisticated' stuff, that enables people to remove or swap chunks of the image which 'distract or get in the way'?
As for Pentax, well I had an SV and stuck with them right through to the K Series.
Old 26th July 2017
mike_j

The newsletter brought me back to have a look as well!

I always liked this forum but having deserted the mft world I can't contribute much.

Good luck with the forum, shame DPNow can't pick up to the old level.
Old 26th July 2017
Administrator

Thanked 2,521 Times in 1,269 Posts
Liked 1,692 Times in 768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_j View Post
The newsletter brought me back to have a look as well!

I always liked this forum but having deserted the mft world I can't contribute much.

Good luck with the forum, shame DPNow can't pick up to the old level.
I'm working on it!

The same updates will happen on DPNow as here and then we'll have a go at raising its profile.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 27th July 2017

Thanked 1,493 Times in 1,421 Posts
Liked 1,405 Times in 896 Posts

My advice - take pictures you like and forget about the rest of the world.
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
Learn something new every day
The Following User Liked This Post:
Ricoh (27th July 2017)
Old 27th July 2017

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM USer View Post
My advice - take pictures you like and forget about the rest of the world.
Good advice, also shoot to please yourself, not anyone else.

on flickr
The Following User Liked This Post:
iso (28th July 2017)
Old 28th July 2017

Liked 122 Times in 62 Posts

Hi Keith
would you be the KeithL who wrote Monoveon ?
Old 17th August 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimbo View Post
Hi Keith
would you be the KeithL who wrote Monoveon ?
I don't know, I've forgotten. Sorry! :-)
Old 17th August 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by iso View Post
In the same vein what are your thoughts on post-processing?? I mean the 'sophisticated' stuff, that enables people to remove or swap chunks of the image which 'distract or get in the way'?
As for Pentax, well I had an SV and stuck with them right through to the K Series.
Post-processing. H'mm! I think it is useful at times. I tried three times when we went there to get a decent (record) shot of Stavanger cathedral. Each time, someone totally ignored me and my camera and stepped in front at the exact moment I pressed the button. Since I had three of the identical view, with different parts obscured by a blurred body hurtling past, I gave up, and made a composite from the two best after I got home. I reckon there were so many people around, I could have taken 20 shots and still had the same problem! What else to do?

BUT, as a rule, I don't like post-processing. I had a long history of taking slides, and you can't change whatever they come out like. So I have a natural antipathy to making images look very different form what they were when in the viewfinder.

Having said that, sometimes, it's fun to do it, just for the hell of it! So, I guess you could say that I'm a bit ambivalent... and I don't use Photoshop, I have Affinity Photo and Designer. And I am very happy with Affinity. (Just thinking, twenty years or so ago, at work, we used to modify our photos with scissors and scalpel and glue......)