Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > For sale or wanted small ads

For sale or wanted small ads Advertise items you no longer need, as well as interest in items you are looking for. Non-commercial small-ads only. Buyers please take maximum precautions as we can offer no protection from fraudsters.

Old 21st September 2010
Bobpatchcott

E-3 at Park Cameras

Hi, a quick look though AP today and I see Park Cameras are advertising the E-3 for 729.99 could be a good buy for someone.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Zuiko (22nd September 2010)
Old 22nd September 2010
kenzed

Re: E-3 at Park Cameras

Probably clearing the decks following the announcement that Olympus are dropping the 4/3rds system!
Old 22nd September 2010

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenzed View Post
Probably clearing the decks following the announcement that Olympus are dropping the 4/3rds system!
Really?? where was that announced??

Neil
Old 22nd September 2010

Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
There's always one...
Old 22nd September 2010
kenzed

There is a recent post in the 'announcements' section of this site:

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthre...t=announcement
Old 22nd September 2010

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:

I've read that thread but didn't come to the same conclusion!

There's no mention of Oly dropping the 4/3rds format - fair enough right now they don't have any lenses in development but they don't say they're dropping the format.

ATB

Neil
Old 23rd September 2010

Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:

Read it again - still doesn't say what you said it said. That's how nasty little rumours start.

Jim
Old 23rd September 2010
kenzed

Apologies to everyone if I have got the wrong end of the stick - just read the header and opening lines of CaptainD's post which said [quote] He [some Olympus official] confirmed that “we are not developing more Four Thirds optics”. Doesn't really matter to me - I've changed to another brand but existing/potential Olympians might want to investigate further
Old 23rd September 2010
apmgold

Just had a quick look at their website and no mention of that price.
Not had chance to see AP, is there any restrictions, ie "In store only" or some such.

Cheers
Tony
Old 24th September 2010
Administrator

Thanked 2,516 Times in 1,267 Posts
Liked 1,690 Times in 766 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill_6mm View Post
I've read that thread but didn't come to the same conclusion!

There's no mention of Oly dropping the 4/3rds format - fair enough right now they don't have any lenses in development but they don't say they're dropping the format.

ATB

Neil
I had a meeting with Olympus' Toshi Terada yesterday and he was very insistent that Olympus is not dropping Four Thirds. Micro Four Thirds cameras do not currently have the form factor for much of the kind of photography that Four Thirds does (fast telephotos, weather/dust sealing, etc.) so Olympus are considering if a larger DSLR-sized Micro Four Thirds body could be feasible, enabling a more suitable match for Four Thirds lenses. The only problem is that even if Olympus decide to go down this route, it will be a long time before such a development was realised.

Ian

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 24th September 2010
Bobpatchcott

Hi, you are right it's not on the website but it's in this weeks AP. 2nd page of their Ad right at the bottom in small print, body only 729 with 12-60 1378 if you are interested give them a ring.
Cheers Bob,
Old 24th September 2010

Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
I had a meeting with Olympus' Toshi Terada yesterday and he was very insistent that Olympus is not dropping Four Thirds. Micro Four Thirds cameras do not currently have the form factor for much of the kind of photography that Four Thirds does (fast telephotos, weather/dust sealing, etc.) so Olympus are considering if a larger DSLR-sized Micro Four Thirds body could be feasible, enabling a more suitable match for Four Thirds lenses. The only problem is that even if Olympus decide to go down this route, it will be a long time before such a development was realised.

Ian

Ian
Doesn't this go against what micro 4/3rds stands for?
Unless it ends up looking like Panasonic's GH1. If so, they are here now so no need to wait (forever???) for Olympus to deliver. But I am aware of the problems (I think) of using ZD lenses on the Panny bodies so maybe not a good option

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 24th September 2010

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post

Ian

Ian
Which is a nice statement of the difficulties that face us as Olympus customers.

Olympus are set on what they do best which is innovation, with the Pen range they are re-writing the formula that has described 'quality' cameras since the mid 20'th century. The Pen series has demonstrated that you can get a high performing interchangeable lens camera in a much smaller overall package and the vf-2 has shown how close to an optical viewfinder the evf has moved.

It has already had many advantages - I can carry the E-PL1, vf-2 and 3 lenses about in a small light bag, and effectively not notice the weight. It is a great solution for the photographer and we can applaud Olympus for it.

Olympus has made a clear statement that they regard this as the system of the future. Despite my caution (expressing it mildly) at the time of the launch of micro 4/3'rds I now think they are right.

They have expressed a direction to merge the capabilities of 4/3'rds and its micro sibling. Which is the logical direction for the standalone digital camera to develop. What they haven't done is to state exactly how it will all happen, though they have made a committment that the merged system will meet the requirements and capabilities to support the high end glass.

I really think it unlikely that the other major camera manufacturers are not seriously considering/developing their own systems based upon the same drivers that are leading Olympus down this road. The difference is that they are keeping their customers totally in the dark, no indication of direction and no committment to support the capabilities/investment already made by their customers in the system.

Because Olympus are choosing to be honest about the intent, we are faced with the worry about our investment. Because it is a developing technology (in the way that the digital SLR never was - it is essentially a digital film plate bolted onto a legacy body) it may well be uncertain as to the timescale in which it is possible to move all the necessary technology from the test bed into a production camera.

So we face the conumdrum, stay with a company that has stated that change is coming and are actively bringing about that change. Or 'jump ship' to a manufacturer that is pretending that change is not on the cards, that has not stated what it will do about change.

Those of us who stay with the Olympus train can expect an interesting time that will test our nerve. Those that go elsewhere, well you will probably get to sleep easier whilst change is being denied.

What was that old quote 'Only death and taxes are certain', well nowadays we can add 'change and uncertainty'.

It really is a blessing that we can stop worrying and take photographs instead.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 24th September 2010

Liked 1,010 Times in 300 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Temple-Fry View Post

It really is a blessing that we can stop worrying and take photographs instead.

Nick
Well done ,you've said it in a way I never could.I will not be moving as I have to much tied up in glass.I still enjoy taking the E1 out.
As you've said go out and enjoy taking pictures.

Will I end up with an E5 in the interim,who knows

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr