Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 2nd May 2019

Liked 1,563 Times in 768 Posts
Will Brits Take Action To Fight Climate Change

Article on Sky news claims the majority of Brits are unwilling to change their lifestyle to fight climate change.

https://news.sky.com/story/majority-...finds-11709486

My Flickr
Old 2nd May 2019

Liked 1,719 Times in 640 Posts
Re: Will Brits Take Action To Fight Climate Change

Trying to do my bit... I'm doing all of the above! (as well as a little more!)

Some Olympus stuff
I didn't get where I am today...
The Following Users Liked This Post:
drmarkf (3rd May 2019), MJ224 (2nd May 2019)
Old 2nd May 2019

Liked 1,630 Times in 1,042 Posts

Of course 'Brits' won't take action. Like very other human on the Planet they can only think of the short term.

It's the same with the prediction that insects could die out within a century. If you say that insects are dying out to people, probably 7 out of 10 will say 'good riddance - nasty creepy crawlies', ignoring that insects are at or near the bottom of the pyramid that sustains life, including our own!

I'm _very_ pessimistic about the future of the planet as we know it now.

Jim
Naughty Nigel (3rd May 2019), Otto (3rd May 2019)
Old 2nd May 2019

Liked 720 Times in 489 Posts

Same as Walti, doing my bit although I’m not yet ready to cut down on air travel. I’m only here the once and value experiences more than possessions or house, so all the time we can put up with the horrors of long distance air travel then we’re going to do it.
Besides, all the time the experts are jetting off around the world for climate change conferences, no doubt at 1st class rates, then I’m not going to feel any guilt whatsoever.
Gone pretty green around the house, greatly reduced electric and gas consumption. No longer commuting so fuel bill has gone from £30 a week to £30 a month.
If Brits won’t take action to reduce even things like utility bills then more fool them, let alone any effect on the planet
Old 3rd May 2019

Liked 2,313 Times in 1,524 Posts

Most people are inherently selfish and will only do what is in their own interests, or that of immediate family.

Diet is very personal to most of us so asking people to stop eating McDonald's burgers, their Sunday roast or Friday night curry is a non-starter in the short term at least, even though a change of diet might improve our health.

I certainly avoid flying wherever possible; not just for environmental reasons but because the advent of budget airlines, small seats, overcrowded aeroplanes and present security restrictions have made flying a miserable experience for all of us. I really hate it to be honest but sometimes it has to be done.

However I feel there is general resentment to making personal sacrifices when we see massive wastage of corporate energy all around us, for example High Street shops propping doors wide open in winter; and when successive governments have made it their business to get us off of public transport and onto the roads. Having finally realised their mistake government is taxing us for doing what government wanted!

There is also resentment that we were encouraged to buy diesel cars to save the planet and are now being penalised for using them.

Public transport is far too expensive for many people and often doesn't go where we want to. I need to travel to Devizes for a job shortly. Being a reasonable sized town I tried to book a rail ticket there only to see a message saying "Destination not found". Slightly puzzled I Googled 'Devizes Railway Station' and found it was closed to passenger traffic in 1964 but there are plans to reopen it 'at some point'.

As for the loss of creepy crawlies I think Jim is absolutely right; many people would see this as a good thing. Just look at what happens when a perfectly harmless spider is spotted in the house.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Liked This Post:
wornish (3rd May 2019)
Old 3rd May 2019

Diet. I forgot to rant about that.
How do people, often those with less disposable income, seem to think that somewhere like McDonalds is a place to get a cheap meal?? The cost of a meal in there, including drinks, ought to be enough to feed an entire family for up to a week. That’s not even beginning to cover the crapness of it or the health risks of all that processed ‘food’.
Same with chip shops, I occasionally pick up a small child’s portion for my mum, having just chips myself (I know! But it’s an occasional treat OK ) and am staggered at the cost, yet the chip shop, on a small parade of shops next to social housing, is always packed and it’s not people driving there from more affluent areas either, yet there they are, buying chips at over £2 and paying god knows what for canned drinks. The shop must be an absolute gold mine.
Public transport: appalling if you don’t live in a major city. Over priced and few options. I can imagine those in the DoT scratching their heads about why people complain and then getting chauffeured home in an official car.
My diesel car will be the last I buy, possibly the same with the petrol one too although goodness knows how we’ll travel within the UK with an electric car. The idea of stopping off for a recharge and lunch is all very well but I might not want lunch in a motorway services (unless perhaps it’s those excellent ones at Gloucester) and what if there’s no spare chargers anyway? Do I wait an hour or two or three before I can charge.
I was sold the idea that life would get better! Rubbish!
Old 3rd May 2019

Liked 1,630 Times in 1,042 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP View Post
Diet. I forgot to rant about that.
<snip>
I was sold the idea that life would get better! Rubbish!
Yes, but apart from that, what's wrong with modern life?

Jim
drmarkf (3rd May 2019), MJ224 (3rd May 2019), Otto (3rd May 2019)
Old 3rd May 2019

Liked 43 Times in 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
Of course 'Brits' won't take action. Like very other human on the Planet they can only think of the short term.

It's the same with the prediction that insects could die out within a century. If you say that insects are dying out to people, probably 7 out of 10 will say 'good riddance - nasty creepy crawlies', ignoring that insects are at or near the bottom of the pyramid that sustains life, including our own!

I'm _very_ pessimistic about the future of the planet as we know it now.

Jim
Of course, in the long term, the planet will die regardless of human activity - if any. It is just a question of time.
Old 3rd May 2019

Quote:

Jim
Mine’s fine, I do love a good moan though. Seems there’s more to moan about nowadays as we’re constantly being told how good stuff is and how much better off we all are. I’m not convinced. Saying that, not having ice on the insides of windows is certainly better than when I was a kid.
Old 3rd May 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by chorleyjeff View Post
Of course, in the long term, the planet will die regardless of human activity - if any. It is just a question of time.
Is it something we all should be preparing for, like now?
Old 3rd May 2019

Liked 222 Times in 147 Posts

Quote:
Is it something we all should be preparing for, like now?
Yes, of course ! Just make sure your life insurance covers total planetary destruction

Jax
Old 3rd May 2019

Liked 43 Times in 30 Posts

Quote:
Mine’s fine, I do love a good moan though. Seems there’s more to moan about nowadays as we’re constantly being told how good stuff is and how much better off we all are. I’m not convinced. Saying that, not having ice on the insides of windows is certainly better than when I was a kid.
Depends how old you are.
Remember polio ? Friends with withered legs and in iron lungs ?
Remember smog so thick that we were breathing muck ?
Remember one coal fire to heat a house ?
Remember talking about whether to whitewash house windows for when hydrogen bombs landed ?
Remember talking about how far you had to be from a hydrogen bomb explosion to live.?
Remember being beaten at school for not being able to recite a poem ?
Remember all those men ( mostly) worn out by manual labour who died in their 60s ?
I could go on and on.
Life in the Uk has never been better by any objective measure.
My grandparents thought being tenant farmers milking cows twice a day for 365 days a year and not having mains water, sewers, electricity or gas was just how it was. Maybe if the sun was shining when they had their two hours rest on Sunday afternoon life seemed OK The rest of the time it was just continuous hard work providing just enough money to survive. And that was typical of life for most people before WW1.
Think yourself lucky to be living here now.
MJ224 (10th May 2019)
Old 3rd May 2019

Quote:

Jim
Quite a lot I would say. The impregnability of big business and incompetence of successive governments has a lot to do with it.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Jax (3rd May 2019), TimP (3rd May 2019)
Old 3rd May 2019

Quote:

Agreed, but there is massive frustration caused by the impregnability of big business and the incompetence of successive governments.

Being expected to wait two hours to speak to a human being who barely understands your language is just one such example.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 3rd May 2019

Liked 222 Times in 147 Posts

Quote:
Depends how old you are.
Remember polio ? Friends with withered legs and in iron lungs ?
Remember smog so thick that we were breathing muck ?
Remember one coal fire to heat a house ?
Remember talking about whether to whitewash house windows for when hydrogen bombs landed ?
Remember talking about how far you had to be from a hydrogen bomb explosion to live.?
Remember being beaten at school for not being able to recite a poem ?
Remember all those men ( mostly) worn out by manual labour who died in their 60s ?
I could go on and on.
My grandparents thought being tenant farmers milking cows twice a day for 365 days a year and not having mains water, sewers, electricity or gas was just how it was. Maybe if the sun was shining when they had their two hours rest on Sunday afternoon life seemed OK The rest of the time it was just continuous hard work providing just enough money to survive. And that was typical of life for most people before WW1.

Nope, sorry, I can't remember any of those, in fact I can't remember life before WW2 let alone WW1.

Jax
OM USer (3rd May 2019)