Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-3

Olympus E-3 E-3 specific discussion.

Old 7th August 2010
geirsan

Aggresive anti-aliasing on E3

Kirk Tuck wrote about the EOS7D yesterday since adding it to his camera fold along with the E3. He writes somewhere that pixel quality is better on the 7D, writes:
Last Summer I was shooting everything with Olympus cameras and lenses. I liked them and they worked fine for most of the stuff I shot. I was thinking (incorrectly) that the bulk of our work was heading for the web and that the 12 megapixels and overly agressive anti-aliasing filters of the current Olympus cameras wouldn't present a problem.
My question is: How does this aggressive anti-aliasing manifest itself, and can you overcome it in postprocessing, and does it affect both RAW and JPEG files or only JPEG files?

These kinds of things worry me.
Old 7th August 2010

Liked 53 Times in 42 Posts
Re: Aggresive anti-aliasing on E3

it's prior to the jpeg engine - so it affects data collection rather than rendering

you can't pp something that isn't there, but for most applications you wouldn't notice it

there is an anomally in KTs comment in that the E3 is 10mp and the e30 has a less agressive AA filter. The E-P1 is a little agressive but the E-PL1 is very mild and more in line with the older E410/510 approach.

more AA means less A but a equally a slight lowering of detail levels - think of it as a really really low level noise filter.........
Old 8th August 2010
Administrator

Thanked 3,144 Times in 2,453 Posts
Liked 4,450 Times in 2,112 Posts
Re: Aggresive anti-aliasing on E3

I think these comments should only cause concern if you notice any shortcomings in the image quality of your own pictures.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau