Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 29th December 2016

Liked 1,285 Times in 496 Posts
Researching your ancestors

I have spent this week researching my ancestors, a task I have considered for some years. Eventually I gave it a go and we have gone back about 200 years on both sides of the family.

It is a sad thing seeing someone's life go by in a handful of clicks on the appropriate census results. You see women made widows when their men die from hard graft. You see the men lose wives from childbirth. You see children vanish from the record.

One of my lot was registered as a mill worker at age 9. Thats the industrial north for you.

One elderly man on my wife's side has Occupation: Pauper. That is the agricultural working class in Norfolk...

So, I decided not to grumble for a few days if that's ok with everyone..

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Ian (31st December 2016), Naughty Nigel (30th December 2016), Olybirder (30th December 2016), OM USer (30th December 2016), pault (30th December 2016), Ross the fiddler (30th December 2016), shenstone (30th December 2016), Simon Bee (30th December 2016)
Old 30th December 2016

Liked 295 Times in 186 Posts
Re: Researching your ancestors

Quite right Pete,

We all tend to grumble now and again about 'this or that' when in reality 'most of us, most of the time' have bu**er-all to truly moan about. We don't even have to look into the past to see how lucky the majority of us are, what those poor souls in Syria and other war torn areas of the world have and are going through puts most if not all of our grumbles into perspective.

Simon
The Following User Says Thank You to Simon Bee For This Useful Post:
snaarman (30th December 2016)
Old 30th December 2016

Liked 304 Times in 126 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka

9 is no great age for starting in a mill. Often the test applied was whether you could touch your left ear with your right hand over your head. If you could, and you can aged about 6, you were old enough to work. Before the 1870 education act an awful lot of people started their working lives at a very young age.

I started researching my family in 1967 and still haven't finished.

EM1i, EM1ii, EM10ii
Simon Bee (30th December 2016), snaarman (30th December 2016)
Old 30th December 2016

Liked 1,614 Times in 1,033 Posts

'Gramps' is a great tool for recording family trees. I'ts available for all platforms:

https://gramps-project.org/

(It's free.)

Jim
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Ford For This Useful Post:
Naughty Nigel (30th December 2016), snaarman (30th December 2016)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Simon Bee (30th December 2016)
Old 30th December 2016

Liked 251 Times in 128 Posts

Hi Pete

Genealogy is my other main passion. What a rewarding way to spend one's time. The appreciation of how we arrived where we are today is in my opinion, very worthwhile. I have come across some very generous people who have shared years of research about mutual ancestors. We have also swapped photographs.

One of the best parts has the discovery of living second cousins who with whom I am in regular contact. What a wonderful bunch of folk and being part of an extended family feels great. Happy hunting.

David
Simon Bee (30th December 2016), snaarman (30th December 2016)
Old 30th December 2016

Liked 2,269 Times in 1,499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
'Gramps' is a great tool for recording family trees. I'ts available for all platforms:

(It's free.)

Jim
Thanks for the link Jim. I will give that a try.

The problem I have is that all apart from my maternal grandmother only arrived in the UK about 120 ~ 130 years ago, and it seems more difficult to trace family trees in foreign countries.

My grandmother came from a well-to-do family in Norfolk, and was the eldest child, but was disinherited for the 'usual reason'.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 30th December 2016

Thanked 1,309 Times in 1,024 Posts
Liked 2,066 Times in 1,119 Posts

It is a fascinating & sometimes frustrating pastime doing family history. It is tough finding the hard side of family life & also interesting when another side is well known, especially when there are a number of people that have already found a lot, as well as there being records going back to the late 1500's.

I wish you well with your searches.

Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 30th December 2016

Liked 563 Times in 206 Posts

My wife is really into Genealogy as well. Some of things she found out are really interesting mainly around my side of the family. Has answered some queries I always had but not with any of the answers I ever expected.
Old 30th December 2016

Liked 1,614 Times in 1,033 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
The problem I have is that all apart from my maternal grandmother only arrived in the UK about 120 ~ 130 years ago, and it seems more difficult to trace family trees in foreign countries.
I started a family tree for my partner. She comes from Koenigsburg, East Prussia (now Russian Kaliningrad). I couldn't go back far as I can't get any records, except word of mouth.

(I find it quite chilling to see a swastika on her birth certificate!)

Jim
Old 30th December 2016
Ivor

Here in Northumberland, and I guess in other counties too, you can access Ancestry, Find My Past and The British Newspaper Archive websites free of charge, but only through the libraries computers. If you are digging further, they might be good resources for you.

Happy New Year!

Ivor
The Following User Liked This Post:
Steambuff (30th December 2016)
Old 30th December 2016

Liked 2,269 Times in 1,499 Posts

Quote:
I started a family tree for my partner. She comes from Koenigsburg, East Prussia (now Russian Kaliningrad). I couldn't go back far as I can't get any records, except word of mouth.

(I find it quite chilling to see a swastika on her birth certificate!)

Jim
My maternal grandfather was born to Dutch parents in or around Lowestoft in the late 19th century. His parents had arrived in Lowestoft a few years earlier and (allegedly) set up the first business on the beach there selling beach goods of the day and hiring deck chairs. Clearly there was an entrepreneurial streak somewhere.

However, my grandfather became a very skilled engineer, who along with his son (my uncle) held several patents for a variety of mechanical devices.

When WW1 broke out he moved to London where he worked designing and building the primitive aircraft of the day for the war effort.

Now the interesting bit, for me anyway, is that he went by the name of Fokkerd, which may well be a miss-spelling. Fokker is not an unusual name in Holland or Germany, (although I have never found a Fokkerd), but I have often wondered if there could be a distant connection with Anthony Fokker.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Jim Ford (30th December 2016), Simon Bee (30th December 2016)
Old 30th December 2016

Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts

The great blessing in researching your ancestry is to have an unusual surname (my mother) not a common one (my estranged, now dead father).
My mother's side - back to Charlemagne, my Father's - back one further generation! He was born in the US and his father in New York but his grandfather in England without any further information, thus a near impossibility.
Old 31st December 2016

Liked 126 Times in 92 Posts

I've done quite a bit of research into my family. An unusual surname has helped considerably too. There are only 2 incidences of my surname in the UK records that I can't link through to, I've met nearly all the others (all except the divorced wife of a cousin).
My father is dutch but was born in Belgium. Tracing his line was a holding point for quite a while - I eventually found a website with the genealogy of the town my grandfather came from. This gave me 3 possible great grandfathers and it's only with help from Dutch genealogists that I've got any clues on which is the right one!
Details my mother had been given by her great aunt gave me an excellent start on her side and I have since found some fascinating connections. Including a officer on HMS Beagle (with Darwin) & The De-havilland family (of aircraft fame)...
There are 3 links I'd love to be able to firm up to the families concerned as they are rumored to lead to more impressive connections - The Pitt's (2 prime ministers), The Wadham's (founders of a college in Oxford) & The Glanville's which would apparently link me to the Plantagenet's ~20 generations ago & supposedly Odin
Unfortunately I've only got 1-2 occurrences of each of these surnames & no evidence of which part of those rather large families.
Old 31st December 2016

Liked 205 Times in 110 Posts

Quote:

(It's free.)

Jim
Thanks for this. Do you know if it can import from Ancestry?
Old 31st December 2016

Liked 65 Times in 52 Posts

I "research" into my genealogy every day when I stand in front of a mirror. I have no idea who my real parents are and since I was illegally adopted, there is no way of finding out....ever.