Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M5

Olympus OM-D E-M5 The first Micro Four Thirds camera from Olympus with an integrated Electronic Viewfinder

Old 9th February 2013
Alpha1

Re: David Busch Camera Guide

Apologies accepted of course David.

I have now ordered a new copy from Amazon UK. As I say I have lost nothing other than time learning from the book as Amazon refunded my wife for the one was that returned defective. Mine will arrive on Monday, UK time.
Old 10th February 2013

Liked 63 Times in 31 Posts

Does anybody know if this is going to be released for Kindle in UK?
Old 10th February 2013

Liked 83 Times in 48 Posts

Hi

Could anybody who has a copy of this book comment on the level at which it is aimed please?

E.g. is it aimed at a beginner with no knowledge of a digital camera and/or does it go deeper e.g. how to setup tethered connections and use remote flash units e.g. the FL50R?

Many thanks
Old 10th February 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Tethered connections and in-depth coverage of remote flash are not covered in this book. It's more of a concise introduction to the key features of the camera.
The Following User Says Thank You to David D. Busch For This Useful Post:
Invicta (10th February 2013)
Old 10th February 2013

Hi David,
I see that your book is available for Kindle in USA is it going to be released for Kindle in UK? It is a lot easier to take away on holiday that way.
Thank you
Shirley
Old 10th February 2013

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

You can get it for iBooks on the iPhone/iPad
Old 10th February 2013

Thank you jetset. I do have a tablet but it's android.
Old 10th February 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm told it's up to Amazon.uk to decide whether they want to carry my books in Kindle format. It's already been provided to them, and my publisher is in favor of it.

David
Old 10th February 2013

Thank you David. I have clicked the button to request a Kindle version, so hopefully Amazon will oblige soon.
Old 11th February 2013
Alpha1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invicta View Post
Hi

Could anybody who has a copy of this book comment on the level at which it is aimed please?

E.g. is it aimed at a beginner with no knowledge of a digital camera and/or does it go deeper e.g. how to setup tethered connections and use remote flash units e.g. the FL50R?

Many thanks
David's reply may have provided a far too limited detail of what the book offers.

It is true that detailed setting up for a pro studio set-up is not covered.

I have used a number of Dslr's and MF digital camera's mostly for field work but I have still learned much from the book about what this camera can do even after 6 month's of using it.

David does indicate very early on in his book that users of previous Olympus digital cameras will already be familiar with the menu system which follows a similar style, but with some very definite OM-D features that make it so much easier to use on this diminutive little power house of a camera.

The book is well worth the cover price for me, even after many years of using other DSLR cameras.

Recommended.
Old 11th February 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm glad that many are finding the book useful. Some background: my two previous Olympus books sold only a few copies and the publisher was adamant that we would not do another. I felt that this camera would be a breakthrough for Olympus and begged to be allowed to do the book. The compromise we arrived at was to limit coverage of some of the things I wanted to talk about, to reduce the expense/risk if the book did not sell well. That limited its potential among more advanced users, but did allow others access to what is the first and likely only book on this camera. Happily, sales have been sufficient that perhaps a follow-up book on the next model will be expanded.

Meanwhile, I am collecting advice from readers about what they would have liked to see in the book, as well as corrections.

David
Old 11th February 2013

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts

Hello David. I am sorry about the limited numbers. When I got my OM-D E-M5 I went looking for books and bought both your E-5 book (for general interest because an E-5 is too expensive for me) and the E-P2 book (because that was closer to the E-M5).
I had noticed (but wasn't going to say anything) that the E-M5 book was smaller -- now I understand why.
I am still very pleased with the E-M5 book and hope you sell a good number of copies (since Olympus seems to be doing well with that camera). You do explain things well and it much easier to understand how to use the camera with your book than with the manual from Olympus.
Thanks again and best wishes.
Old 11th February 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley View Post
Thank you David. I have clicked the button to request a Kindle version, so hopefully Amazon will oblige soon.
I have also clicked the button to ask Amazon UK for a Kindle version
Old 11th February 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invicta View Post
Hi

Many thanks
Incidentally, I believe another thread has indicated that tethered connections are considered (by Olympus) to be a "pro" feature and are not available for the E-M5 (maybe not even for the E-5?).
Old 11th February 2013

Liked 83 Times in 48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David D. Busch View Post
I'm glad that many are finding the book useful. Some background: my two previous Olympus books sold only a few copies and the publisher was adamant that we would not do another. I felt that this camera would be a breakthrough for Olympus and begged to be allowed to do the book. The compromise we arrived at was to limit coverage of some of the things I wanted to talk about, to reduce the expense/risk if the book did not sell well. That limited its potential among more advanced users, but did allow others access to what is the first and likely only book on this camera. Happily, sales have been sufficient that perhaps a follow-up book on the next model will be expanded.

Meanwhile, I am collecting advice from readers about what they would have liked to see in the book, as well as corrections.

David
Hi David

Nice to hear that your OMD book is a success. I can understand how publishers have a difficult balancing act on how many pages a book can be.

I believe there is a market for books that go beyond the manual supplied with the camera. Have you considered the self-published eBook route?

I bought such an eBook for my “other camera” and at over 850 pages I would not expect any publisher would be interested in printing hard copies.

The extra space means that:
  • More detail on why and when you would want to select a specific setting
  • Full review of all accessories and how to use them
  • Shooting video