Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-3

Olympus E-3 E-3 specific discussion.

Old 4th June 2010
Old Junior Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
E3 LCD fell apart!

Anybody had a problem with their LCD screen coming apart. I usually have mine folded in so the screen is protected and open it as and when necessary.
Using the camera as normal I had viewed the set up and looked at a few images, opening the screen as is my normal practise when required.

Got a bit of a surprise when trying to view an image and the screen came apart i.e. the main part of the screen stayed in the camera and the plastic back with the lifting indent came away from the rest of the screen, partly exposing the electronics. I was unable to get the back to clip back on so left as was and shipped to Olympus.

I have two weeks left on the warranty so hopefully it will be covered. However not looking forward to the two - three weeks service time I have been quoted by customer service

Was I putting to much strain on the LCD using it as I was. I had thought the build quality should stand up to regular use of the LCD.

How do others use their Camera/LCD? Would it be normal to have the LCD viewing side out most of the time?

Cheers
Roy C
Old 4th June 2010

Liked 130 Times in 72 Posts
Re: E3 LCD fell apart!

I leave the screen permanantly displayed. I also have a screen protector fitted.

Steve
Old 4th June 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Clarke View Post
Anybody had a problem with their LCD screen coming apart. I usually have mine folded in so the screen is protected and open it as and when necessary.
Using the camera as normal I had viewed the set up and looked at a few images, opening the screen as is my normal practise when required.

Got a bit of a surprise when trying to view an image and the screen came apart i.e. the main part of the screen stayed in the camera and the plastic back with the lifting indent came away from the rest of the screen, partly exposing the electronics. I was unable to get the back to clip back on so left as was and shipped to Olympus.

I have two weeks left on the warranty so hopefully it will be covered. However not looking forward to the two - three weeks service time I have been quoted by customer service

Was I putting to much strain on the LCD using it as I was. I had thought the build quality should stand up to regular use of the LCD.

How do others use their Camera/LCD? Would it be normal to have the LCD viewing side out most of the time?

Cheers
Roy C
There have been others who have had this happen to their e-3 screens too With a bit of luck Olympus will tuen it around a bit quicker than they have quoted you
Old 4th June 2010
Kiwi Paul

That's a shame Roy, once the service centre gets it they usually do turn repairs around quite fast so I wouldn't expect it ti take that long, may 3 or 4 days.

Paul
Old 4th June 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yep it's a very common problem it seems, the various forums on the net are littered with grumblings about it. My Uncles E3 was affected by it but in the end was a very simple fix after sourcing a new back. The fixing screws that hold the two parts of the LCD cover together split the plastic lugs they are screwed into as they are put in presumably, and eventually the screws rip through the plastic lug and the covers separate. Being as it's within the warrantee period you might as well send it back but for 5 or so you can get the replacement backs from Luton cameras, 4 small screws and it's job done so it's not the end of the world...

Last edited by PaulE; 4th June 2010 at 02:46 PM.
Old 4th June 2010

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Welcome to the club Roy. I documented the same thing here a while back. It's a design fault. The little thumbnail indent is on the wrong side of the join. It's a shame, as one could use the E3 to hammer home masonry nails....for whatever reason. Oly did fix mine.

David
Old 4th June 2010
Rod Souter

Mine also, fixed under warranty by Olympus. Not very quickly! but I suppose it went to Portugal for a break

Rod
Old 5th June 2010

Thanked 1,339 Times in 1,044 Posts
Liked 2,181 Times in 1,163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Clarke View Post

Cheers
Roy C
I have the E30 & I normally leave the screen faced in. The E3 did have that weekness & I think that was overcome with the new design of the E30. I got the camera (2nd hand) with a screen protector on it & felt it was more reflective than the original surface & took it off. Now I have a small scratch on it.

Ross
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 5th June 2010

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

My E-3, one of the first available on the UK market, has had no care or attention payed to the screen, it's always visible when the camera is in use and I usually forget to flip it over for storage, so far no problems.

It is a known E-3 problem, and I suspect just a little too much pressure in assembly can damage the threads/fitting. But you should not expect it to happen. The E-3 is a lovely camera, there is no reason not to treat it mean to keep it keen.

Hope its holiday in Portugal is not too extended, once it comes back don't worry, it is a tough camera.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 5th June 2010

Thanked 1,339 Times in 1,044 Posts
Liked 2,181 Times in 1,163 Posts

Quote:
Hope its holiday in Portugal is not too extended, once it comes back don't worry, it is a tough camera.
Please pardon my ignorance, but I keep seeing Portugal mentioned for servicing of cameras in some forum threads. Can someone please fill me in on when this occurs because I haven't had to deal with service in Australia yet which is less than an hours drive away in Sydney. Is this a Europe arrangement or what?

Thanks,
Ross
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 5th June 2010
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Yes - most (if not all) of Olympus' European servicing is done in Portugal.
Old 5th June 2010

Liked 190 Times in 126 Posts

Roy, It's a well known problem, been there had it etc. There is a replacement part available with slightly larger lugs for the screws, so hopefully the problem won't re-occur. I'm not certain, but I suspect that any e-3 going in for any repair has the lcd surround upgraded if it's still got the old one fitted. Mine went in for a viewfinder blind fault & came back with a replacement lcd surround.
Look on the bright side, you've only a couple of weeks warranty left, so if you send it in for repair, you will get a camera back that's been thoroughly checked out and looking almost like new.
In some ways I hope I get a genuine fault just before my warranty expires
The problem seems to occur with those who are the most fastidious, always turning the screen over when not in use.

The nearest I have to a home page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
They're Watching You!
Old 10th June 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That has just happened to mine today, first one lug went then the other, now I can't get the LCD screen opened. Mine was one of the 1st, bought November 07 so it's out of warranty and it hasn't had much use since buying an E-420 last year.

Looks like I'll need to get in touch with Olympus or check Luton cameras.
Old 22nd June 2010
Old Junior Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: It's Back!

It's back after 18 days and looks very clean.
The only difference seems to be the finger indent is more tactile than the original. Not a bad thing. On the down side the settings are back to factory default, only to be expected I suppose.

Technical Repair form states "Product Adjusted, Verified, Cleaned, +6 months of warranty" does that mean warranty on repair or an additional 6 months on everything? Can I also assume it has been serviced as I believe it is supposed to be after two years.

Thanks for all the encouraging responses to my original post, I took some solace in knowing I wasn't the only one.

Roy C
Old 22nd June 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think the 6 months warranty is a general one, not just for the repaired bit