Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > General photography discussion

General photography discussion Please look for a specific board to start your thread but if you can't find an appropriate one, post it here.

Old 5th September 2019

Liked 553 Times in 285 Posts
Re: Photography in Public Places

Surely anyone wanting to take pictures which could be 'used' wouldn't be so daft as to use a camera.
They would use a phone which is perfectly fine for any use, application, area, near schools, at private places, etc. etc. etc. you name it.
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (5th September 2019), royd63uk (5th September 2019), wornish (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 5th September 2019

Liked 2,404 Times in 1,584 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith-369 View Post
Surely anyone wanting to take pictures which could be 'used' wouldn't be so daft as to use a camera.
They would use a phone which is perfectly fine for any use, application, area, near schools, at private places, etc. etc. etc. you name it.
Indeed. You could even pretend to be making a call whilst recording video. The quality of phone images and videos these days is pretty good too.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Liked This Post:
wornish (5th September 2019)
Old 6th September 2019

Liked 542 Times in 380 Posts

Interesting comparison to the discussion last fall

https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49445
Naughty Nigel (6th September 2019), shotokan101 (6th September 2019)
Old 7th September 2019

Liked 194 Times in 132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
So then please answer my first question?

Are you suggesting that the sale of cameras and motor vehicles should be banned outright to protect 'vulnerable' individuals? That would certainly avoid any ambiguity.

Talk about the lowest common denominator.
The way cars are used is very heavily regulated: driver training and licencing, age restrictions, car condition and roadworthiness, speed limits, traffic lights etc. I for one don't want that level of regulation around cameras, which are comparatively harmless devices. Few people if any are hurt or killed by photography (though I do realise someone might know of a scenario where a murderer found a victim by way of a photo innocently taken and shared by an innocent party).
shotokan101 (7th September 2019)
Old 7th September 2019

Liked 114 Times in 83 Posts

https://youtu.be/y-6DijNE3Z0
Old 7th September 2019
Administrator

Liked 1,602 Times in 925 Posts

All to often young inexperienced officers will say things which are intended to give them the position of authority. Sometimes what they say is incorrect!

If you challenge what they say, they often treat this as a challenge to their authority, which they cannot accept.

However if what they say is false, they are guilty of misrepresentation...

“Misrepresentation
An untrue statement of fact or law made by Party A (or its agent) to Party B, which induces Party B to enter a contract with Party A thereby causing Party B loss. An action for misrepresentation can be brought in respect of a misrepresentation of fact or law.”

Misrepresentation of the law is a very serious offence, which every officer will very quickly understand.

https://uk.practicallaw.thomsonreute...ge=true&bhcp=1

But unless you are really up for a long argument and willing to be detained, it’s best to be completely cooperative.

Security staff on the other hand are just doing whatever they are told and unless you are on “their” property have no more authority over the public as the public themselves. However they too cannot misrepresent the facts or the law.

Have fun...

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 7th September 2019

Again, and I have to say, If she had been using a phone camera to do the same thing, I bet they would have just walked on by.

So wrong the discrimination between cameras and phones. Both doing exactly the same thing.
Jim Ford (8th September 2019), MJ224 (8th September 2019), royd63uk (7th September 2019), shotokan101 (7th September 2019), wornish (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 8th September 2019

Liked 114 Times in 83 Posts

Yes but if every photographer accepts this sort of treatmen then it only confirms (to them) that their behaviour is acceptable and justified....
Jim Ford (8th September 2019), royd63uk (8th September 2019)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEW View Post
The way cars are used is very heavily regulated: driver training and licencing, age restrictions, car condition and roadworthiness, speed limits, traffic lights etc. I for one don't want that level of regulation around cameras, which are comparatively harmless devices.
The use of motor vehicles is indeed very heavily regulated, but that doesn't stop law abiding drivers from being seen as public enemy number one for doing something that is still perfectly legal, and for which governments are very happy to collect all manner of taxes. The way things are going anyone using a proper camera in public will also be seen as any enemy of right minded people. Conforming to the irrational demands of jobsworth security guards and clueless coppers will do nothing to help.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Jax (4 Weeks Ago), Keith-369 (4 Weeks Ago), MJ224 (4 Weeks Ago), royd63uk (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 129 Times in 87 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post

All to often young inexperienced officers will say things which are intended to give them the position of authority. Sometimes what they say is incorrec

“Misrepresentation
An untrue statement of fact or law made by Party A (or its agent) to Party B, which induces Party B to enter a contract with Party A thereby causing Party B loss. An action for misrepresentation can be brought in respect of a misrepresentation of fact or

if a Police Officer or PCSO tells you to do something which they do not legally have the backing to do it would be an abuse of power, which falls under misconduct. Its not always inexperienced officers which get it wrong sometimes very experienced officers with the ‘Old school approach’ fall foul.
shotokan101 (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by timboo View Post
if a Police Officer or PCSO tells you to do something which they do not legally have the backing to do it would be an abuse of power, which falls under misconduct. Its not always inexperienced officers which get it wrong sometimes very experienced officers with the ‘Old school approach’ fall foul.
The real issue here is "providing information recklessly and without knowledge of the truth" (knowing that another party will make a decision based on that information).

I am not sure whether this is an offence as such, but in Contract Law any Contract signed as a result false or misleading information is voidable in law.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 129 Times in 94 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEW View Post
The way cars are used is very heavily regulated: driver training and licencing, age restrictions, car condition and roadworthiness, speed limits, traffic lights etc. I for one don't want that level of regulation around cameras, which are comparatively harmless devices. Few people if any are hurt or killed by photography (though I do realise someone might know of a scenario where a murderer found a victim by way of a photo innocently taken and shared by an innocent party).
There have been quite a few deaths caused by people taking selfies just in front of dangerous animals/situations. Nearly all of these would presumably be with camera phones so perhaps they should be banned...
Naughty Nigel (4 Weeks Ago), wornish (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 130 Times in 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith-369 View Post
Why is a mobile phone "perfectly fine" when a camera isn't? They are both cameras and both take photographs.

This is just an example of stupid, ignorant public attitude that a conventional camera in public is somehow different from a phone/camera. They BOTH take photographs!

This really annoys me

Steve
The Following User Says Thank You to Wreckdiver For This Useful Post:
wornish (4 Weeks Ago)
Naughty Nigel (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckdiver View Post
Why is a mobile phone "perfectly fine" when a camera isn't? They are both cameras and both take photographs.

This is just an example of stupid, ignorant public attitude that a conventional camera in public is somehow different from a phone/camera. They BOTH take photographs!

This really annoys me

Steve
I was being very tongue in cheek and extremely sarcastic when I said that. If you go back a little to my previous comments in this thread you might have realised that.

No harm done and no offence taken, I can see why you took it at face value. I should have finished my minor rant by using the qualifier "in the eyes of the authorities and most other people who are wont to complain"
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith-369 For This Useful Post:
Graham_of_Rainham (4 Weeks Ago)
Graham_of_Rainham (4 Weeks Ago), shotokan101 (4 Weeks Ago)