Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II The second Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 7th August 2019

Liked 70 Times in 40 Posts
C-AF preferring the background

I finally have some free time in which to play with my not so new MkII. This morning I was out on the water attempting to photograph seals in the water. Sadly, in most of the photos, the background was in focus more often than the subject.

I was using my 4/3rds 70-300mm at the top end and the camera was set up with a single focus point and C-AF and sequential low silent. I used shutter priority with the shutter set at 1/1000 and ISO 800.

To make it difficult I was low to the water and bobbing around in a kayak so there was a lot of potential for the background to feature in the images. Understanding the conditions I want to try to force the camera to focus somewhere in the vicinity of where the subject rather than the background (which I assume is at infinity). To avoid stressing the animals I was about 50m to 100m from them (unless they got curious and came to me) so I am right on the limit of the lense.

I was thinking of adjusting the aperture to f11 or f14 to increase the depth of field to assist the AF (or increase the chances of the subject being I'm the field of view) but I am not sure if that would work.

I tried using five focus points yesterday but more often than not the focus just behind or in front of the subject (although the conditions were a bit different).

I'll try to post some photos later but I need to remember how to.

I know I am attempting to sprint before I can crawl but I don't get these opportunities very often, any ideas will be greatly appreciated.
Old 7th August 2019

Liked 542 Times in 380 Posts
Re: C-AF preferring the background

Have you installed the very latest firmware for the camera for details see previous threads
Old 7th August 2019

Liked 56 Times in 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willom View Post

To make it difficult I was low to the water and bobbing around in a kayak so there was a lot of potential for the background to feature in the images. Understanding the conditions I want to try to force the camera to focus somewhere in the vicinity of where the subject rather than the background (which I assume is at infinity). To avoid stressing the animals I was about 50m to 100m from them (unless they got curious and came to me) so I am right on the limit of the lense.

I was thinking of adjusting the aperture to f11 or f14 to increase the depth of field to assist the AF (or increase the chances of the subject being I'm the field of view) but I am not sure if that would work.

I tried using five focus points yesterday but more often than not the focus just behind or in front of the subject (although the conditions were a bit different).

I'll try to post some photos later but I need to remember how to.

Stopping down will not affect the AF because the camera performs AF with the lens wide open. At 50m the head of a bobbing seal is going to be rather small in the viewfinder and thus difficult for the AF to lock on to. Using anything larger than a single focus point will only make this worse. In most areas the seals will come much, much closer of their own accord so patience is the order of the day. I find C-AF+TR works well for photographing seals from a boat.

Wildwood
Old 7th August 2019

Liked 72 Times in 54 Posts

Before you try anything else, follow these three steps.

1. Make sure you are using firmware 3.1. This is most important in your case.
2. Try single focus point.
3. Use C-AF not +TR.
Old 7th August 2019

Liked 246 Times in 153 Posts

I only tend to turn to C-AF for fast moving subjects like birds in flight. For subjects like Seals (recently photographed in the Scillies)

I prefer S-AF, which is very fast to acquire on the E-M1 Mk.ii, especially if you pre-focus on the sea where the Seal is bobbing up and down. Make sure you use small focus points, to minimise distraction by the background. ( I'm not sure whether this actually works with C-AF, where the camera tends to use phase detection, which only operates at specific points) You could also try Pro-capture to anticipate the moment when a head pops up.
Old 7th August 2019

Liked 70 Times in 40 Posts

Thank you all for your quick responses.

I don't have the latest firmware as I am still trying to figure out how to install it as my laptop runs on Linux instead of Windows or Apple.

They are indeed small in the viewfinder. I wanted to use C-AF as these seals do porpoise at certain times and I would love to photograph that behavior. One of today's images have one almost standing on it's tail. Shame the tress a mile away are in sharp focused and the seal is nicely blurred.

I'll see if I can update the firmware but will also try on S-AF with burst.
Old 7th August 2019

Liked 3,816 Times in 1,762 Posts

Alternative is to use manual focus with peaking.....

With slow moving objects such as seals, you should be able to see precisely (?) what is in focus...

When taking birds photos, I quite often use MF, as the poor camera is not sure what I want......

My Sailing Page

My Flickr
Old 7th August 2019

Liked 72 Times in 54 Posts

I would suggest you stick with S-AF until you have upgraded to 3.1
3.1 is a huge improvement for C-AF.
Can't you borrow a PC for 10 minutes?
Old 8th August 2019

Thanked 1,339 Times in 1,044 Posts
Liked 2,181 Times in 1,163 Posts

I do not know of any method to update your firmware with using Linux, unless the LightSnowDev method can do it.

Another thing, also make sure your 70-300 lens is updated too (not possible through LightSnow Dev though) as it should be at FW 1.4 released in February 2012.
https://cs.olympus-imaging.jp/en/sup...s/ed70_300.cfm

Quote:
ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 70-300mm F4.0-5.6 Firmware Update
ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 70-300mm F4.0-5.6 Firmware Ver1.4
has incorporated the following upgrade.
[Modification]
Focusing during MF operation has been improved.
* Upgrade history *
ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 70-300mm F4.0-5.6 Firmware Ver1.3
Resolved unstable sequential shooting when using C-AF on the E-3 and E-30.
ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 70-300mm F4.0-5.6 Firmware Ver1.2
IMAGER AF is available when supported by the camera. *Depending on the condition of the subject, the focusing speed near the telephoto end may slow down to maintain focusing accuracy.
ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 70-300mm F4.0-5.6 Firmware Ver1.1
Stabilized exposure precision.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 8th August 2019

Liked 246 Times in 153 Posts

You can downloaded the firmware files from https://lightsnowdev.com/Olympus/OMD/OMD-E-M1II.html then copy the (large) file to an SD card after re-naming as per the instructions.

Save your setting first because they will be lost when using this method.
Old 8th August 2019

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

There is another solution, try focus limiter function on camera menu. You can set 3 different preset areas (camera focus inside one of them) and if you assign a button for the function (focus limiter) keep press this button and with back dial you can change to one of the three different areas.
If you don’t know the distance to assign it on focus limiter you can use another camera function (ΜF prefocus) to measure as a distance laser.
The Following User Says Thank You to kbouk For This Useful Post:
OM USer (8th August 2019)
Old 8th August 2019

Liked 1,594 Times in 787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbouk View Post
There is another solution,...........

If you don’t know the distance to assign it on focus limiter you can use another camera function (ΜF prefocus) to measure as a distance laser.

Your last sentence about using the MF prefocus as a distance laser is interesting.
How exactly do you do that. Are you saying simply MF and then read off the focus distance from the lens focusing ring or is there a way to get a more accurate read out of the actual distance possible?

I have looked at the exif data and it doesnt seem to show the focus distance.

My Flickr
Old 8th August 2019

Liked 56 Times in 37 Posts

As a point of interest how many of you who are offering solutions have actually photographed seals from a boat?

Wildwood
Old 8th August 2019

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wornish View Post
Your last sentence about using the MF prefocus as a distance laser is interesting.
How exactly do you do that. Are you saying simply MF and then read off the focus distance from the lens focusing ring or is there a way to get a more accurate read out of the actual distance possible?

I have looked at the exif data and it doesnt seem to show the focus distance.
PreMF is an AF mode actually (inside AF menu after SAF,CAF,CAF+TR....), it makes the lens focus only at the one focal distance , you can set and lock any AF capable lens (first when you choose it hit info and then the shutter) to a predefined focus distance between 0 to 999.9(infinity). When you use it the camera focus at one point (first info then shutter) you will see also the focus distance on the LCD, try it.

The AF limiter function is a different one and you will find it inside camera’s menu, you have up to 3 presets to program the camera to rack focus only within the range(x-y) that you specify with specific values.
The Following User Says Thank You to kbouk For This Useful Post:
wornish (8th August 2019)
Old 8th August 2019

Liked 3,816 Times in 1,762 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildwood View Post
As a point of interest how many of you who are offering solutions have actually photographed seals from a boat?

Aground, fate sealed

by Mark Johnson, on Flickr

My Sailing Page

My Flickr