Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Announcements

Announcements E-System news releases.

Old 22nd April 2009

Liked 466 Times in 206 Posts
Irksome links

As I mentioned on the Four Thirds User Forum - the sponsored links appearing in the midst of a thread is change for the worse - especially so when the advert content is dynamic.

It seems particularly odd that Olympus would wish to advertise on this site in such an "in your face" manner - considering that the forum members are by implication E-DSLR owners (and enthusiasts!). Surely a better strategy for customer retention would be if they chose to post occasional threads with official advice and guidance on how best to exploit their products.

Ian - I appreciate that these sponsors help to offset this site's running costs but...
... please restrict this awful new forum 'feature' to the side or top frames in the web page.

TIA, and apologies in advance should any of you consider this thread to be an "irksome link"
Old 22nd April 2009
Administrator

Thanked 2,543 Times in 1,279 Posts
Liked 1,755 Times in 791 Posts
Re: Irksome links

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyver View Post
As I mentioned on the Four Thirds User Forum - the sponsored links appearing in the midst of a thread is change for the worse - especially so when the advert content is dynamic.

It seems particularly odd that Olympus would wish to advertise on this site in such an "in your face" manner - considering that the forum members are by implication E-DSLR owners (and enthusiasts!). Surely a better strategy for customer retention would be if they chose to post occasional threads with official advice and guidance on how best to exploit their products.

Ian - I appreciate that these sponsors help to offset this site's running costs but...
... please restrict this awful new forum 'feature' to the side or top frames in the web page.

TIA, and apologies in advance should any of you consider this thread to be an "irksome link"
I have answered your post on FTU, but here on the E-group it is quite different, as we operate the E-group, for a set contract fee per month, for Olympus UK. However, it was Olympus' request for us to add banners to the site. The only content in these banners will be Olympus promotions pointing to Olympus UK. No third party advertising will be featured. There is only one banner on view at any one time. It's to support Olympus UK, and I would have hoped that this would be acceptable considering the investment in the site as a free resource for E-System users in the UK.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 22nd April 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
I have answered your post on FTU, but here on the E-group it is quite different, as we operate the E-group, for a set contract fee per month, for Olympus UK. However, it was Olympus' request for us to add banners to the site. The only content in these banners will be Olympus promotions pointing to Olympus UK. No third party advertising will be featured. There is only one banner on view at any one time. It's to support Olympus UK, and I would have hoped that this would be acceptable considering the investment in the site as a free resource for E-System users in the UK.

Ian
Ian,
Thanks for this explanation, and I really appreciate your efforts to run such friendly and helpful sites as this and FTU. They've helped me greatly since I became a DSLR owner.
It wasn't the existence of ads per se that I minded, (as I originally posted, a side or top banner ad isn't a problem - FTU members are well used to this), the specific issue was that the seemingly random appearance of a sponsored link in the middle of a thread viewed in linear mode disrupts the chain of thought. I suppose that demonstrates that, by some measures, the advert is doing it's job?
Old 22nd April 2009
Xpres

Whatever Olympus want, I think it's a step in the wrong direction. It makes reading posts very annoying no matter what the ad is for.
Old 22nd April 2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpres View Post
Whatever Olympus want, I think it's a step in the wrong direction. It makes reading posts very annoying no matter what the ad is for.
I will see if we can implement an exemption for registered users, though the ad on the front page will remain as it is on the left margin.

Ian

Old 22nd April 2009
mike_j

I have no objection whatsoever to sensible advertising in banners etc. I sometimes read them and click on them and accept that they are an essential part of life on the www. Websites have to be paid for.

Regrettably some ads are blatantly counterproductive. A classic example was the pop up Olympus ad on the Amateur Photographer forum and more recently the Casio pop up both of which generated hostile criticism.
Old 22nd April 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpres View Post
My thoughts too, can't see why it would be any use to Olympus UK to try to direct members (the vast majority of which are current Olympus owners / users and will probably already be pretty clued up on the latest offerings and promotions anyway) away from the forum.

A flash based Ad after every first post in every thread has to be the single most annoying place to put it, if they are a neccessary evil there surely must be a far more suitable place to put them like the page footer for instance???

Also I've noticed a pretty big hit on page load times for those pages with this flash ad too (index and other forum pages without it load as quick as normal), has anyone else noticed it? This maybe a result of me choosing not to cache flash files but since it really isn't that big a file I'm guessing it might be more to do with the implementation of the sponsored link mod? seems a strange to me to have the mod pulling the file from a different domain on the same server (Dpnow) and retrieve the associated link presumably from a separate DB there too?

Whatever the case, I'm looking forward to the possibility of it dissapearing for registered users, in the mean time I'm turning to Firefox (sorry can't currently find a quickfix in IE) + Flashblock to at least hide the annoying animation, the slower page loads still remain though .
Old 22nd April 2009
Administrator

OK, hopefully good news for everyone is that I have successfully installed some code in FTU that hides the ad from registered users as long as they are logged in.

I will install this here tomorrow (I need to go home as it's a bit late!).

I ought to point out that Olympus plans to publicise some interesting promotions via these ads, including some Micro Four Thirds info that you hopefully won't want to miss. However, the ad will still appear in the less bothersome left hand margin of the front page for all to see.

More updates tomorrow!

Ian

PS I will take the in-line ad off for tonight

Old 22nd April 2009
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,504 Times in 2,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_j View Post
I have no objection whatsoever to sensible advertising in banners etc. I sometimes read them and click on them and accept that they are an essential part of life on the www. Websites have to be paid for.

Regrettably some ads are blatantly counterproductive. A classic example was the pop up Olympus ad on the Amateur Photographer forum and more recently the Casio pop up both of which generated hostile criticism.
I bet the critisism wouldn't have been nearly so hostile if the "offenders" were Canon or Nikon!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 23rd April 2009

Ian,
Thank you.
Old 24th April 2009
Administrator

Liked 1,602 Times in 925 Posts

I fitted a "sun visor" to my monitor to hide the "Banner Adds" on many of the sites I visit

For some sites I often think a set of "Barn Doors" is needed...

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 24th April 2009

Liked 1,327 Times in 505 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
in the mean time I'm turning to Firefox + Flashblock to at least hide the annoying animation
Wow.. Flashblock... What a useful Firefox tweak :-) That has improved so many slow web sites for me.. Thanks for pointing it out

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.