Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 12th July 2019

Liked 1,789 Times in 662 Posts
Firmware versions

Everyone's got excited about the MKii firmware upgrade, the MKi is now on V4.6, so it can be used with the latest greatest bits and bobs!

It's quite slow to focus with the 300f4 PRO + MC20 but it does OK eventually!

Some Olympus stuff
I didn't get where I am today...
The Following Users Liked This Post:
drmarkf (14th July 2019), Ross the fiddler (13th July 2019)
Old 13th July 2019

Thanked 1,339 Times in 1,044 Posts
Liked 2,179 Times in 1,162 Posts
Re: Firmware versions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walti View Post
Everyone's got excited about the MKii firmware upgrade, the MKi is now on V4.6, so it can be used with the latest greatest bits and bobs!

It's my second camera so good to know it's possible to use it (in good light, I guess).
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 13th July 2019
Stock Shooter

Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
Re: Firmware versions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walti View Post

Bits and Bobs eh?

That set me thinking, what are these B&B's and do I ever use them?

Since giving up my day job in 2004, I have been busying myself with stock photography. So far it has earned enough to pay for all the new photographic equipment I have bought. I get to do all this photography and it it costs me nothing but time, and I have enough of that available.

In my final years of shooting film I had an OM2SP and a few lenses of which my favorite was my 50mm f1.4 Zuiko.

When I started stock shooting in 2005 I had several 4/3 cameras. The E1 did not have a big enough sensor for the Agency, but I up-rezzed the images and got away with it. . .

During the 4/3 years, the camera I liked best was an E410, an impulse buy a demonstrator for 200 from the local Jessops. I kitted it out with the 25mm prime, and there I was back in the same mindset as the OM2SP + 50mm.

I used it the same way nearly always in Aperture Priority.
I have a range of lenses covering FL of 7mm too 300mm.

Now I have the EM1 with firmware 4.6. I often use it with the 17mm f1.8 and do so in the same way as I did with the E410. I only take a zoom lens if I have a specific shot in mind.

16MP is all I need.

I had a look through what I have in the EM1 and I find the following B&B's which I have never used:

Bracketing
HDR
Keystone Compensation.
RC Mode.
Focus stacking.

On my EM5ii, I also have Hi Res, but I never use that either.

When I started in stock I was using Photoshop 5.5. Now I have the Adobe CC subscription so my PP is much advanced.

I like using the silent shutter when needed and sometimes the Multiple exposure.

So B&B's non withstanding, I still use the EM1 the same way I did with my OM2, with consistently excellent results.

Am I missing something? Is there something I should be doing a different way?

OM-D E-M1 OMD-E-M5ii Various Olympus lenses
The Following User Liked This Post:
Melaka (14th July 2019)