Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 4th August 2018

Thanked 1,543 Times in 1,494 Posts
Liked 4,376 Times in 1,976 Posts
The Windows10 Disaster

Having bought a new computer to replace my previous 10yrs old crashed machine running Windows7, I now find myself in company with Windows10. What on earth was the intellectually paralysed Microsoft thinking of when it released this monstrous product. My advice, anyone running Windows7 should hold on to it and definitely not make a switch unless it be to an Apple Mac.

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill
Old 4th August 2018

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 6,007 Times in 1,955 Posts
Re: The Windows10 Disaster

Yes, I agree. I hate Win 10 with a vengeance. Still, at least it's better than Windows 8!
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 4th August 2018

Thanked 1,128 Times in 705 Posts
Liked 1,469 Times in 734 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
Yes, I agree. I hate Win 10 with a vengeance. Still, at least it's better than Windows 8!

A dead computer would be better than W8.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Old 4th August 2018

Thanked 1,435 Times in 1,325 Posts
Liked 2,417 Times in 1,139 Posts

OK as someone who needs to get a new PC fairly soon and who is currently on Win 7 dare I ask what is wrong with Win10?
I'm likely to stay with Microsoft but there is a large faction in my local camera club who say I really should switch to apple? just not sure I want to add all that extra hassle to the learning curve.
Old 4th August 2018

Liked 542 Times in 380 Posts

Fear of the Apple conversion, the conversion is not as bad as you think - plenty of books and web sites available plus you can get help at Mac user groups.

I converted in 2004 - I ran the old machine and system in parallel for about a year and discovere the space the old system was taking in my study was not justified so I did a final transfer and got rid of the old way of life.

If you used Unix in your working life you know far more about the Apple system than you
realise.
Old 4th August 2018

Thanked 1,128 Times in 705 Posts
Liked 1,469 Times in 734 Posts

In my case, I can sum it up in a single word... bloatware.

I don't need 90% + of what comes preiinstalled, such as games, x-box etc., The updates have also proved problematic in that in many cases they take an age to instal or, they refuse to instal. You can clear up many of the unwanted items but in some instances these just get replaced.

The upside, again for me, is that you can upgrade memory and hard disks easily in a laptop and can even totally upgrade a desktop at component level from the mainboard upwards if you are that way inclined. In addition you are not tied into a single OS system. All of this, is of course down to your skill level set.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Old 4th August 2018

Liked 1,684 Times in 1,084 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandora View Post
Having bought a new computer to replace my previous 10yrs old crashed machine running Windows7, I now find myself in company with Windows10. What on earth was the intellectually paralysed Microsoft thinking of when it released this monstrous product. My advice, anyone running Windows7 should hold on to it and definitely not make a switch unless it be to an Apple Mac.
I 100% agree Mark - except for the Mac bit!

Jim
Old 4th August 2018

Liked 2,403 Times in 1,583 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
Windows 8 or 8.1?

I really like W8.1 and have never had a problem with it. I also like W7 but it is getting a bit long in the tooth now, and is slower loading than W8.1.

Interestingly, and contrary to opinions stated here, Windows 10 actually has a smaller footprint when up and running than either Windows 7 or 8.1.

I did run Windows 8 for a while on my laptop and had no problems with it, but it auto-updated to W8.1 which I am happy with.

The problems of crapware are often down to manufacturers and outlets like PC World looking to make extra money rather than Microsoft. You can buy Windows 10 quite cheaply to do a fresh install and you won't get all of the crapware with it.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Says Thank You to Naughty Nigel For This Useful Post:
Old 4th August 2018

Liked 2,403 Times in 1,583 Posts

On switching to Mac; Apple undoubtedly make some very good machines but you pay very heavily for the privilege. Not for nothing has Apple become the worlds first $1 Trillion company this week!

The Apple OS is excellent and seems to work better with photographs and video than Windows, but not all software will work with it. Sage accounts for example won't work with Apple.

Also, make sure you buy the machine that you want and need. You cannot add graphics cards or other adaptors to most Mac machines, whilst adding memory, changing hard drives or CPU's is generally a no-no. Apple wants you to buy top spec from the Apple shop, at sky high prices; not from online sellers.

Apple displays (on the iMac) are particularly good, but unfortunately they no longer make stand alone displays for Mac Minis and the like.

I have also heard complaints about the new Macbooks, because they only have one connector now, so you have to buy expensive adaptors if you want to charge your Macbook whilst using a USB device.

Steve Jobs was known to be a control freak and true to form, Apple is a very controlling company!

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Says Thank You to Naughty Nigel For This Useful Post:
Old 4th August 2018

Thanked 1,543 Times in 1,494 Posts
Liked 4,376 Times in 1,976 Posts

Unless I'm missing something the most frustrating aspect of Win10 is the inability to display two web pages side by side on the home screen. It's default browser is IE (vers. presently unknown).

IE7 on the crashed machine lets me copy the image URL from my forum gallery but the browser on the new machine doesn't. To post an image requires dragging the url into Word then copy and paste into a new post. This is a far cry from the simple IE 7 select the url, copy and paste it as a new post.

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill
Old 4th August 2018

Liked 1,684 Times in 1,084 Posts

A few years ago I bought a new machine to use PS on, and installed W7 on it. It worked OK, but when W10 came along I was persuaded to install the free W10 'upgrade'. Immediately afterwards the system spewed all my files across the screen, filling it.

W10 truly is horrible - vile even!

Jim
Old 4th August 2018

Liked 935 Times in 592 Posts

A year or so ago I would have agreed about sticking with W7 but W10 has finally matured into a reasonably stable and reliable OS. Sure, the unstoppable upgrades can be a pita (why does it always want to update when I want to shut the pc down and leave the house in a hurry?) but otherwise I wouldn't go back to W7. I don't like the built-in Photo and Video apps but you can disable those and stick with Photo Viewer and Media Player, and you can disable 90% of the spyware. I certainly wouldn't consider a Chromebook given Google's raison d'etre!
The Following User Liked This Post:
Johnheatingman (4th August 2018)
Old 4th August 2018

Liked 1,382 Times in 810 Posts

I have to say that:
a) I bought a refurb windows machine with W7Pro 64 bit preinstalled on it. It worked well at first, then the problems started in true Microsoft pattern. It dorve me spare. After about two years, I was spending more time fixing problem after every update - and sometimes it was three a day! - than using the machine for useful work. I then bought a Macbook - a refurb again - found it utterly stable and reliable, and I still have it. Later I bought a refurb iMac 21 inch, and I can only say that it is the most reliable computer I have ever had.

b) I have a Windows phone. Yup, I'm a glutton for punishment! Runs Win 8.1, and it has been OK. Some very poor design features, but i don't care, it does all I need.

Would I go back to Windows? Er, would I like a hole in the head done with an electric drill? I'll leave you to 'go figure', as the Yanks say.
Old 4th August 2018

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,451 Posts
Liked 1,448 Times in 925 Posts

I quite like W8.1; W8 was a disaster. NT4 was nice as well. I could give W10 a miss. My 8.1 tried to update to 10 - emphasis on the tried - and it was a right royal pain to get it back to a useable W8.1 again as it was stuck in limbo.
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
Learn something new every day
Old 4th August 2018

Liked 3,320 Times in 1,790 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
OK as someone who needs to get a new PC fairly soon and who is currently on Win 7 dare I ask what is wrong with Win10?
I'm likely to stay with Microsoft but there is a large faction in my local camera club who say I really should switch to apple? just not sure I want to add all that extra hassle to the learning curve.
I dreaded the upgrade to W10 but it is the best move ever. W7 was crap.

I recently sorted the update installation failure issue and have no remaining ones. (I got ride of Edge, which is an irritating nuisance).

Harold
Johnheatingman (4th August 2018)