Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > General photography discussion

General photography discussion Please look for a specific board to start your thread but if you can't find an appropriate one, post it here.

Old 21st October 2017

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts
Cameras and Aircraft (again)

There could be problems around the corner for photographers choosing to fly on US airlines, and the EU's ruling on such matters could be heading in the same direction. Read here: https://petapixel.com/2017/10/20/us-...eid=2a426fcff6

on flickr
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ricoh For This Useful Post:
OM USer (21st October 2017), Wally (22nd October 2017)
Old 21st October 2017

Liked 3,842 Times in 1,772 Posts
Re: Cameras and Aircraft (again)

Assume "Checked Luggage" goes into the hold.

Always carry mine in the carry-on bag...............

Other solution is to carry camera without a battery, and buy one in the visiting country. Then if it does not switch on they think its a potential device..

Difficult for tablet/laptops tho'

Or buy a small camera in the visited country of course......

3 airplane crashes in 12 years is a very significant threat I think...

What is the situation if security won't allow you to take a camera on board, ie confiscate it? I would assume you could claim it back on your return to UK. (yeah)

My Sailing Page

My Flickr
Old 22nd October 2017

Thanked 1,131 Times in 707 Posts
Liked 1,469 Times in 734 Posts

Disposable camera's may make a come-back if they remain cheap enough not to break the bank. Setting up a market stall in the arrival area exits could be a good little earner. Especially now the is down and tourism is up.

Of course, if you're an elderly cheapskate or film camera buff, you can always revert back to the film era gizmo's https://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46407

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Old 22nd October 2017

Disposable cameras are alive and kicking, eg https://www.ilfordphoto.com/cameras , and wrt the Land camera I've read it's rather 'hip' to shoot instant reversal. Just think, no need for a creative cloud subscription. I don't think film is the preserve of the elderly, far from it, I'm seeing more and more young people with old film cameras, but film is definitely not for the cheapskates, however the running costs concentrate the mind somewhat.

on flickr
Old 22nd October 2017

Thanked 1,131 Times in 707 Posts
Liked 1,469 Times in 734 Posts

I've just looked out my Miranda 35 GT film camera (60,s era) - hence my cheapskate remark - and found I still had 3 film cannisters with used film plus one still in the camers???.

The big Q is, do I attempt to have it/them processed? May have photo's from my time spent in Singapore, Malasia, Borneo 64 - 67 and Kuwait 70 -74.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Old 22nd October 2017

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 6,007 Times in 1,955 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ224 View Post

3 airplane crashes in 12 years is a very significant threat I think...
Statistically speaking it's a pretty small proportion (although that's hardly comfort for the pilots and their families of course!) and as the report says, they were all cargo only flights. Banning cameras from checked baggage won't do anything for cargo.

The big problem with cargo of course is that shipments may contain a lot of dangerous material, esp if some unscrupulous shipper decides to make false declarations or the handlers confuse the materials being put on board. The worst example of fire in the hold was the ValuJet flight that crashed in the Florida Everglades in 1996. That was caused by handlers putting banned oxygen generator cylinders in the hold and then failing to use safety pins on them, choosing to use duct tape instead.

Of course I'm for anything that improves safety but we'll never reduce risk to zero and this proposal needs balancing with counter pressures to stop passengers putting anything in the hold (RyanAir, Easy Jet etc) and in fact to ban electronics from carry on. At some point it'll get to the point where you'll only be able to take only a toothbrush (no toothpaste) and a pair of undies.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following User Liked This Post:
MJ224 (25th October 2017)
Old 22nd October 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
I've just looked out my Miranda 35 GT film camera (60,s era) - hence my cheapskate remark - and found I still had 3 film cannisters with used film plus one still in the camers???.

The big Q is, do I attempt to have it/them processed? May have photo's from my time spent in Singapore, Malasia, Borneo 64 - 67 and Kuwait 70 -74.
If they were mine I would definitely have them processed, but one at a time. Talk to a good lab such as Peak Imaging explaining the situation. Just imagine the glorious colour shifts when they return from the lab, way beyond what Photoshop could deliver. Do it.

Edit John Maloof has or had a large number of undeveloped film shot by Vivian Maier, not sure what the hold up is or was, but I'm guessing it's the chemistry.
Whilst waiting what to do Wally, place the exposed film in a freezer, in sealed bags.

on flickr
Old 22nd October 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
Statistically speaking it's a pretty small proportion (although that's hardly comfort for the pilots and their families of course!) and as the report says, they were all cargo only flights. Banning cameras from checked baggage won't do anything for cargo.

The big problem with cargo of course is that shipments may contain a lot of dangerous material, esp if some unscrupulous shipper decides to make false declarations or the handlers confuse the materials being put on board. The worst example of fire in the hold was the ValuJet flight that crashed in the Florida Everglades in 1996. That was caused by handlers putting banned oxygen generator cylinders in the hold and then failing to use safety pins on them, choosing to use duct tape instead.

Of course I'm for anything that improves safety but we'll never reduce risk to zero and this proposal needs balancing with counter pressures to stop passengers putting anything in the hold (RyanAir, Easy Jet etc) and in fact to ban electronics from carry on. At some point it'll get to the point where you'll only be able to take only a toothbrush (no toothpaste) and a pair of undies.
Of course if you're a true Scot, just the toothbrush!

on flickr
The Following Users Liked This Post:
MJ224 (23rd October 2017), Ross the fiddler (23rd October 2017)
Old 22nd October 2017

Liked 1,281 Times in 728 Posts

I recommend investing in camera and computer hire companies (and predict a rosy future for Ian’s hire business if he steps up advertising to American photo tourists unable to bring their gear to the UK!).

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Bikie John (23rd October 2017), MJ224 (23rd October 2017)
Old 23rd October 2017

This could also signal the resurgence of postcard photography... maybe the streets of London are paved with gold after all!
Personally, I like the big fat ladies in the style of Beryl Cook

on flickr
Old 25th October 2017

Liked 704 Times in 373 Posts

Have you not seen or heard of reports of theft on luggage in cargo hold and in terminals by baggage handlers? I for one won't even think of checking in my equipment unless I am sure they are very secure. BUT there are these budget airlines here that limit carry on to only 7 kgs.

Glad I settle on the microfourthird stuff.

All my garbage so far.
Old 25th October 2017

Liked 1,382 Times in 810 Posts

Getting back to reality here, I don't think many people check laptops and cameras into the hold, surely? Generally, camera batteries are pretty safe, and already have to comply with the requirements for making them safe enough to carry on aircraft. I wouldn't want to subject my camera or laptop to the low temperatures in the hold, or the rough handling by baggage handlers. I can't see it making much difference to most of us. Unless it's a precursor to banning cameras totally, of course.

IIRC, in the US, you are still allowed to carry guns on, on internal flights. You certainly are in some countries (Iceland, for one, I think). Surely they are more dangerous than cameras? However, they could restrict photographers to one battery per camera, for instance.
Old 25th October 2017

Liked 542 Times in 380 Posts

The compromise is to travel business class so that you get a more generous carry on allowance as well as a larger luggage allowance.
or drive if on the same continent.
Old 25th October 2017

Liked 3,842 Times in 1,772 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
Statistically speaking it's a pretty small proportion .
Yes but it seems to be a preventable situation if the stats are to believed.

These latest generation of batteries (Lion) may not be safest unless the manufacturing process is good.

But the knowledge is not mine, I just know that when you buy a cheap (usually Chinese) Lion battery, they never have the umph that the original battery had.

Thus I suppose, always buy the original branded battery. But that does not always work. And its at a cost.........

Amazon syndrome.............

My Sailing Page

My Flickr
Old 27th October 2017

Liked 1,382 Times in 810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ224 View Post
Yes but it seems to be a preventable situation if the stats are to believed.

These latest generation of batteries (Lion) may not be safest unless the manufacturing process is good.

But the knowledge is not mine, I just know that when you buy a cheap (usually Chinese) Lion battery, they never have the umph that the original battery had.

Thus I suppose, always buy the original branded battery. But that does not always work. And its at a cost.........

Amazon syndrome.............
I have used Haehnel ones for some years without any problem, good capacity, and about a third to a half of Olympus price. I also have a branded Chinese one off Amazon, and that seems OK too. Nearly as much as the Haehnel though, not an "el cheapo".