Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Wide angle

Wide angle Lenses with focal lengths shorter than 14mm.

Old 26th November 2016

Liked 65 Times in 52 Posts
PanLeica 15mm f1.7 with Pen-F

A friend recently bought an EM10 Mark II and I sold him my Olympus 17mm f2.8 Pancake lens, which I used to use with my Pen-F. I now want to replace it with either the Panasonic 14mm f2.5 II or PanLeica 15mm f1.7 (NOT the Olympus 17mm f1.8 which I already have and use with the EM5 II). I like the specs of the PanLeica and am veering towards it despite the higher price tag but want to clarify a few things.

1. Are there any electronic link issues with the PanLeica 15mm f1.7 and Olympus bodies? I was looking at an earlier thread where a buyer had problems with that lens and another camera.

2. Does the aperture ring on the PanLeica work with Olympus bodies, specifically Pen-F?
Old 26th November 2016

Liked 18 Times in 17 Posts
Re: PanLeica 15mm f1.7 with Pen-F

Two easy questions to answer....no issues on Olympus M43 bodies and no, the aperture ring is not enabled on Olympus cameras.

Very nice lens...
The Following User Says Thank You to sdb123 For This Useful Post:
Loup Garou (26th November 2016)
Old 26th November 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdb123 View Post
The aperture ring is not enabled on Olympus cameras.

Very nice lens...
Thanks, but are you sure that the aperture ring won't work on even a relatively new camera like the Pen-F? Slightly disappointed if it does not because I was hoping for the old-fashioned feel of using an aperture ring. I do not own any MFT lens with one after I sold the Samayang fisheye last year.
Old 26th November 2016

To clarify...aperture rings on Panasonic lenses will not function on Olympus M43 bodies, they only work on Panasonic bodies.
The Following User Says Thank You to sdb123 For This Useful Post:
Loup Garou (26th November 2016)
Old 26th November 2016

OK, I surrender. But out of interest, is this an unsurmountable issue or something that could change with a future firmware update on one or the other?
Old 26th November 2016

It's a cross-company issue...the assumption is that it should be an easy enough fix to implement via firmware however Olympus & Panasonic need to work collaboratively to make it happen. I won't hold my breath.
Old 26th November 2016

I placed an order with Wex just now. As I wanted the silver one, it is going to take a week to get it, but I'll wait.
Old 26th November 2016

Liked 305 Times in 193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loup Garou View Post
I placed an order with Wex just now. As I wanted the silver one, it is going to take a week to get it, but I'll wait.

Good choice as it's a cracking lens.

Simon
Old 26th November 2016

Liked 1,281 Times in 728 Posts

Yes, I agree. It's certainly sharper than the Oly 17, although you have to pixel peep to see it.

Plus it looks good in silver on a silver OMD or Pen-F body, for those bothered by that sort of thing!

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Old 26th November 2016

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

The 15/f1.7 is indeed a sharp lens, and focus is lightning fast. Personally I prefer using it on a Panasonic body to utilise the incorporated aperture ring. On an Olympus body I find the need to remap my brain to ignore the aperture setting. Bit confusing to begin with, especially if you've grown up with film cameras.

on flickr
Old 2nd December 2016

Wex had problems getting hold of the silver PanLeica 15mm that I wanted and so I was forced to cancel the order. Then I checked with all the other usual big High Street dealers like Park, Wilkinson, LCE, Clifton, Fotosense, Harrison etc and none of them had a silver one. Plenty of dodgy looking "Eastern" type "UK based" warehouse dealers had it but I do not trust such sellers and ignored them. There was one on Amazon at £499 which I left as a last resort and tried e-bay; most offers were once again "Eastern" dealers like Kacha but this morning I found a private seller from Yorkshire with full contact details (name, phone, e-mail, postal address) and a 100% positive feedback rating from almost 1000 transactions. His lens was also brand new and at £399 came with a free 2-year Leica guarantee and free UK delivery. His name is Gary Hodgson and although my only attempt (so far) to phone went to voicemail, he sounded very native British. I therefore took a chance and placed the order. Delivery by ParcelForce.

Do others think this is OK or should I have looked for a established outfit? I paid by Paypal and have full protection.
Old 2nd December 2016

Quote:
but this morning I found a private seller from Yorkshire with full contact details (name, phone, e-mail, postal address) and a 100% positive feedback rating from almost 1000 transactions. His lens was also brand new and at £399 came with a free 2-year Leica guarantee and free UK delivery. His name is Gary Hodgson and although my only attempt (so far) to phone went to voicemail, he sounded very native British. I therefore took a chance and placed the order. Delivery by ParcelForce.

Do others think this is OK or should I have looked for a established outfit? I paid by Paypal and have full protection.
With that sort of feedback I should 'think' you are ok but whether Panasonic will provide the warranty is another matter. Although the lens is apparently new you are purchasing via a private sale and not through an appointed dealership .... just something to bear in mind.

BTW, Carmarthen Cameras have a silver one in stock ............

.............. http://carmarthencameras.com/lenses/...ns-silver.html

Simon
The Following User Says Thank You to Simon Bee For This Useful Post:
Loup Garou (2nd December 2016)
Old 2nd December 2016

Quote:
With that sort of feedback I should 'think' you are ok but whether Panasonic will provide the warranty is another matter. Although the lens is apparently new you are purchasing via a private sale and not through an appointed dealership .... just something to bear in mind.
Thanks. Yes, I know but I got a bit desperate when I could not find a silver lens. I normally do not buy any electrical or electronic goods from a private dealer but since a lens is an optical instrument for the most part, I decided to take the risk. I'll check it out as soon as it arrives to ensure that the electronic contacts are all OK and the autofocus motor is working properly. If there is the slightest doubt, I'll send it back and get a refund.

Quote:
BTW, Carmarthen Cameras have a silver one in stock
............ Scheitzen! And a good price too! The irony is that I have used Carmarthen Cameras before but it slipped my mid this time. Perhaps I should have asked the forum member's help in finding a silver lens before ordering from e-bay.

Well, let us hope that my deal turns out all right.

Old 2nd December 2016

Update: I discovered that this "ycm18" on e-bay is not a private seller as I had thought but a bona-fide on-line dealer called York Camera Mart, complete with a respectable looking website. Looks like I may be all right after all.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Simon Bee (2nd December 2016)
Old 2nd December 2016

Quote:
Update: I discovered that this "ycm18" on e-bay is not a private seller as I had thought but a bona-fide on-line dealer called York Camera Mart, complete with a respectable looking website. Looks like I may be all right after all.
There we go, should all be ok then

Simon