Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 7th December 2008

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Afternoon Horses

These are either totally awful or................................................ ....not.

I'm really not sure at all, hence the appearance here.

They've only had a quick pp/sharpen.

No holds barred please, the computer can't see me cry.

Normal guilty parties - me, E-3, Sigma 135-400, ec1.4, Master, The GIMP. From the Old Railway Track - Swindon, Old Town.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 7th December 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Afternoon Horses

I think I'd have to plumb for #3 to be my pick of the three, mainly for the warm hues. The biggest problem to my mind would be the cluttered views, not one horses head in full sight.
I like the way you've shot into the light in the third shot too, but this also brings contrast ranges beyond, in my oppinion, acceptable levels. Notice the large pixelated areas in the shadows, could also be due to the sharpening/compression after converting to JPEG.
Old 7th December 2008

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by photonutter View Post
I think I'd have to plumb for #3 to be my pick of the three, mainly for the warm hues. The biggest problem to my mind would be the cluttered views, not one horses head in full sight.
I like the way you've shot into the light in the third shot too, but this also brings contrast ranges beyond, in my oppinion, acceptable levels. Notice the large pixelated areas in the shadows, could also be due to the sharpening/compression after converting to JPEG.
Well -

The cluttered scene is at least 50% the point of the shot, these are horses seen through the gap in a hedge/wood.

All 3 shots are into/close to the sun and represent a viewpoint that is challenging to the eye.

I can't find 'large pixelated areas' in the shadows, I can find highlights as the low sun hits the leaves.

These, after all, aren't pictures of horses, they are pictures of views of horses.

hmm

Have they totally failed?

Nick

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 8th December 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Having taken another look, and at exif, the pixelation could well be due to the hi iso settings required by the lens length and aperture used. This may be seen more easily on a laptop screen and could be just the angle of this, have you tried a print?

Maybe a wider view for #2 to get more of the surrounds and scene, to enhance the narrative of the wild(?) horses or more separation between fowl and mare?
Old 8th December 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Temple-Fry View Post
These are either totally awful or................................................ ....not.

No holds barred please, the computer can't see me cry.
I think they'd be better if you could lift the lighting a bit and show some of the detail on the mare's head, enough so that her eyes can be seen.

I notice in the first one that it looks as if her breath is misty, that could be enhanced or exaggerated too. I wouldn't know how but I have a feeling you might have the knack
Old 8th December 2008

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
I think they'd be better if you could lift the lighting a bit and show some of the detail on the mare's head, enough so that her eyes can be seen.

I notice in the first one that it looks as if her breath is misty, that could be enhanced or exaggerated too. I wouldn't know how but I have a feeling you might have the knack
Haven't, I'm afraid, the foggiest (unintentional) idea of how to enhance the misty breath.

Can't show more of the surround 'cos I'd fall off the edge of the sensor, these are uncropped. Not sure what that would achieve other than require immense dof and show lots of branches (though I can see the possibility of a different image with a thin hedge.

I'm always loath to state my intent, it imposes a single dogma against which a picture is judged, rather than allowing the viewer their own conceptual space. But these are not pictures of a horse, but of HORSE captured unexpectedly through a gap in scrubby trees.

Anyway Number 3 warmed, glowed and with a different noise treatment.

Against all good advice I will persist

Nick

www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 8th December 2008

Liked 895 Times in 408 Posts

Nick

For fans of QI I'll be giving away 10 points now. I feel sure there is a trap here somewhere.

Sorry, I don't really like them. I don't go much beyond that because I am not sure what you like about them... and I do like to try and see why people like the things they create (and assume you do like them).

I took a load of pictures yesterday which I don't like either. And I don't know what to do with them. I tried to do something interesting and it turned out deadly dull and was a technical failure too.

For me your question implies there is no middle ground between totally awful or totally good. I'd go somewhere in between and say not my sort of thing..

Peter

You can see some of my things on Flickr
Old 8th December 2008

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by art frames View Post
Nick

For fans of QI I'll be giving away 10 points now. I feel sure there is a trap here somewhere.

Sorry, I don't really like them. I don't go much beyond that because I am not sure what you like about them... and I do like to try and see why people like the things they create (and assume you do like them).

I took a load of pictures yesterday which I don't like either. And I don't know what to do with them. I tried to do something interesting and it turned out deadly dull and was a technical failure too.

For me your question implies there is no middle ground between totally awful or totally good. I'd go somewhere in between and say not my sort of thing..

Peter
Personally I've always regarded the scoring of QI as similar to the rules of Mornington Crescent.

As to these images not being liked, well I wonder if the same reactions would have been raised if we had the fore quarters of a species we regards as wild, rather than of one we think of as domesticated and controlled. But at the end of the day the image would have been the same; a creature at ease, content within itself and following its own nature.

But as any picture (outside of pure illustration - this is a sparrow, this is a diesel fuel injector etc.) consists of a conceit and its argument. Then it is clear I have not executed the argument in a way that the conceit is understood.

Well that's encouragement to continue.

Nick

www.temple-fry.co.uk