Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Introduce yourself

Introduce yourself Don't be bashful - please say hello so we can all welcome you here!

Old 1st December 2008

Liked 68 Times in 37 Posts
Interloper from Hampshire

Have been retired nearly 8 years now after a career in the semiconductor industry. Have been active on and off in photography for around 55 years! Remember at the age of 15 building a very crude enlarger and trying to make prints in the cupboard under the stairs. Eventually, many years later, had a Kaiser colour enlarger and processing drum which revolved in a water bath. Life is much easier with Photoshop.
First 35mm camera Voigtlander CL. Subsequently graduated to Pentax Spotmatic F and then Program A both of which I still have. I was a late adopter of digital photography, I was sceptical that it could match the IQ of my Pentax. However, having taken the plunge 3 years ago I am totally converted.
My current digital is an Olympus SP550. Despite its well known shortcomings i.e. focussing difficulty at high focal lengths in poor light and noise at high ISO I am pretty pleased with it as an alround carry camera. The noise problem has never been an issue with me as I do not tend to shoot fast moving (they are mostly stationary) subjects and the IS is magic! I have produced good quality prints up to 16"x12".
I am now contemplating the major step to DSLR. The obvious candidate, given the glass I have might be the Pentax K20D. But I have a high regard for Olympus optics and the physical size makes the E520 (must have IS) a likely candidate. Then along comes, or is at least coming, the E30 to further make my life difficult. It is not an easy decision as one is going to invest in a system
Although not yet an E-System user I have joined this group in order to learn more, maybe be persuaded and if I do make the jump to share my experiences. I hope that this is permissible under your rules.

Flickr
Old 1st December 2008
Administrator

Liked 1,606 Times in 928 Posts
Re: Interloper from Hampshire

David,

You sound like so many of us here you will feel right at home.

Look forward to seeing some pictures.

Welcome

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 1st December 2008

Liked 1,341 Times in 507 Posts

You are most welcome here :-)

I am an ex Nikon film user, and I moved via the excellent optics of the Olympus 8080 to the E510 - and yes, I find I.S. is essential especially as I get older.

Feel free to ask this lot any questions you might have.. They are a friendly bunch

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 1st December 2008
tlove

Welcome - and don't worry, we'll soon spend your money for you on new camera gear

They're a good bunch on here - no question is too daft (believe me, been there, done that, got the tee shirt!), so ask away!
Old 1st December 2008

Liked 872 Times in 286 Posts

Hi David -

Welcome.

I was a Fuji fanatic for some years and when looking to go DSLR I found Olympus and the idea of the 4/3rds system appealed. I chose the E-510 as did my wife due to the quality of the twin lens kit. Since then we have added lenses and I have graduated to the E-3.
Anne is keeping her options open re the E-30.

There is much to see on the site - hope to see you around.

Regards. Barr1e
Old 1st December 2008

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Welcome David.

Quite a few on here from Hampshire...

peterlittlephotography.com
Old 1st December 2008
Ijay37

There's a co-incedence I also made my own enlarger and set it up under the stairs about 53 yrs ago. Welcome to the forum.
John
Old 1st December 2008
Administrator

Liked 546 Times in 294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adagio View Post
I was a late adopter of digital photography, I was sceptical that it could match the IQ of my Pentax. However, having taken the plunge 3 years ago I am totally converted.
Me too (see the profile - I saw an MZ5+ lenses in a shop window for < 100 at the weekend - sob!)

welcome aboard - if you do take the plunge you'll find some of the most helpful photo adicts on the web in this forum

Regards
Andy
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/
Old 1st December 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi David, good to meet you

Settle in and enjoy yourself, you'll notice that there are quite a few of us "down here" in the south, some not very far from you.

It's hard to decide what system to buy into, whatever you decide is up to you but if it's Olympus I don't think you'll regret it, not least because the anti-dust system is fantastically effective and even the kit lenses are superb.
Old 1st December 2008
Administrator

Liked 1,606 Times in 928 Posts

David,

To get you quickly up to speed on some of the ways this site works, I've sent you a PM (Private Message) We often use it to discuss things so the forum isn't cloged up with "chat"

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 1st December 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi David,

I'm another David and I'm pleased to meet you.

I'm also a new member and not nearly as clever as the helpful lot in this group. As a result though, I am learning by the day. I just need to put it into practice.

I last used a SLR many years ago and about 8 years ago went 'digital'. In retirement, my wife and I have recently done a few African holidays and initially I used a Sony DSC-H1, which did pretty well for wildlife. This year I wanted to improve my photography and made the decision to go for an Olympus E-520 as I had previously been impressed by the E-510 from a handling point of view. I went for a twin lens kit including the 70-300mm lens. I'm still getting used to it but it is just what I needed for wildlife. I don't think you would be disappointed if you wet for the E system. Some of the fantastic shots taken by members of this group may well convince you.

Regards

Dave
Old 2nd December 2008

Thank you all for your warm welcome. This has never happened on any forum that I have previously signed up to.

Flickr
Old 30th December 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm a relative newcomer and like you, couldn't believe how friendly this forum is based on experience of others so I'll also add my welcome. Have you taken the plunge yet? People on this forum would be interested to know I'm sure.

Despite entering the dSLR world via an Olympus E510 with kit lenses, I was really attracted by the speeds and feeds of the dSLR bodies from Canon, Nikon and Sony when I was looking to "move on" to a camera that would put me into a postion to get good hand-held sports and adventure images, as often as possible, in variable light, with lively focussing and continuous shooting from moderately-wide angle to moderately-telephoto in all kinds of weather conditions without having to carry a back-pack full of heavy equipment.

Functionally, this requirement could easily be met by those brands but the "system" I ended up with was unbeatable for price/performance and compactness, no back-pack required, just a modest shoulder bag all-up. An equivalent weather-proof, >5fps, 12-280mm (24-560mm) f2.8-5.6 combo from the others were upwards of 50% more expensive and 50% heavier/larger overall, way into back-pack territory.

If you have a full-frame future in mind or a very different set of requirements, the story could be very different of course, but the value of looking at the System is huge and Olympus's trump card, they don't seem to do a duff lens for example, quite the opposite. At first sight I thought Oly might be near the bottom of my evaluation but I was totally wrong about that!

Last edited by michaelavis; 30th December 2008 at 06:32 PM.
Old 5th January 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelavis View Post
Have you taken the plunge yet? People on this forum would be interested to know I'm sure.
Michael thanks for your welcoming remarks. I thought that I had made up my mind on an initial investment of E520 + 12-60 mm. The imminent arrival on the scene of the E30 has caused me to pause. I will almost certainly wait until the pricing becomes known. It will probably exceed my budget

Flickr
Old 5th January 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi David i would also like to say welcome ,i also think this is a great friendly place hope you get a good bit out of it

Mick

Petroleums Hey
retired oil boiler