Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk

Accessory talk Those important extra system components.

Old 8th September 2015

Liked 130 Times in 72 Posts
Mmf-3

Having had my E-M1 for a few months now I decided it was time to start thinking about using it with my large range of FT lenses.

I see that the current adapter is the MMF-3 and is supposed to be weather proof (?). A bit of Googling seems to raise doubts on just how weather proof it is and also its ability to be used with heavier longer lenses such as the 50-200mm + teleconverter or the 35-100mm f/2.0 - surely, no one would try to take the weight of such lenses on an MFT body! That's why they have a tripod mount.

I just wondered what users of this adapter thoughts were re: weather proofing, use with long lenses, focusing issues etc.

Also, is the Panasonic DMW-MA1 a better option? It certainly seems to be cheaper.

Thoughts, comments, advice most welcome.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 8th September 2015

Liked 866 Times in 242 Posts
Re: Mmf-3

I think with any of the MMF adapters and big lenses you have to adopt the mind set of fixing the camera to the lens rather than vice versa. Always support the lens and the adapter should cope with the weight of the camera.
MMF-3 has the rubber seals to make it 'weatherproof' (1 and 2 don't), but I wouldn't like to test it in a heavy downpour - not on my own kit anyway!
Sorry don't know about the Panasonic DMW-MA1.

E-M5 II, E-M1, E-M1 II, 7.5, 8-18, 12-40, 25, 40-150, 45, 60, 300

Website
Flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to IainMacD For This Useful Post:
Wreckdiver (8th September 2015)
Old 8th September 2015

Liked 733 Times in 490 Posts

I have used it with the 50-200 and EC-14 converter on an E-M1. This was for rugby so there is a good chance it has been rained on as well. I don't think that is recorded in the EXIF data though so I can't search for it

As for using the tripod mount - one annoyance I have with these medium-sized lenses (including the lovely new 40-150mm f/2.8) is that although they have a tripod collar they don't have strap lugs. Moving around for live sport makes use of a monopod really cumbersome, specially if you are running two bodies at once. I support the lens during shooting with a video shoulder pod, but it can still hang round the neck when not actively in use. I'm not comfortable with this as it will put strain on the lens mount, body mount, adapter and body strap lugs and have started using a sling strap on the lens mount instead. This is a rather expensive way to get round a problem that would be easily solved by having strap lugs on the lens (as the big and definitely heavy 90-250 f/2.8 does).

As far as I can remember the Panasonic adapter does not have the rubber seals.

John
The Following User Says Thank You to Bikie John For This Useful Post:
The Following User Liked This Post:
Old 8th September 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikie John View Post
I have used it with the 50-200 and EC-14 converter on an E-M1. This was for rugby so there is a good chance it has been rained on as well. I don't think that is recorded in the EXIF data though so I can't search for it

As for using the tripod mount - one annoyance I have with these medium-sized lenses (including the lovely new 40-150mm f/2.8) is that although they have a tripod collar they don't have strap lugs. Moving around for live sport makes use of a monopod really cumbersome, specially if you are running two bodies at once. I support the lens during shooting with a video shoulder pod, but it can still hang round the neck when not actively in use. I'm not comfortable with this as it will put strain on the lens mount, body mount, adapter and body strap lugs and have started using a sling strap on the lens mount instead. This is a rather expensive way to get round a problem that would be easily solved by having strap lugs on the lens (as the big and definitely heavy 90-250 f/2.8 does).

As far as I can remember the Panasonic adapter does not have the rubber seals.

John
That's a good point John and one that didn't cross my mind: using the camera strap puts the weight of the lens onto the camera/adapter mounts. I do have a BlackRapid Yeti Dual camera strap that has connectors to mate with tripod collars thread. Using that (or a single sling strap that you use - BTW, which one is it?) would be the preferred method.

Thanks John,

Steve

Couldn't get the insert link option to work properly, so posted below:
BlackRapid Yeti Dual Camera Sling Strap with 5 Year: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo BlackRapid Yeti Dual Camera Sling Strap with 5 Year: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

Old 8th September 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckdiver View Post
That's a good point John and one that didn't cross my mind: using the camera strap puts the weight of the lens onto the camera/adapter mounts. I do have a BlackRapid Yeti Dual camera strap that has connectors to mate with tripod collars thread. Using that (or a single sling strap that you use - BTW, which one is it?) would be the preferred method.]
These days I use two cameras for rugby. One sits on a Black Rapid strap across the chest, so the camera sits on my left hip with the strap screwed into the tripod collar. I've just got another cheapo single strap, I think the brand name is Joby, it's a much less flexible version of the Black Rapid but similar idea - it has an attachment that screws into the tripod bush, but unlike the Black Rapid you can't slide it up the strap. I tried it cross-body but this didn't work as it wouldn't pull up easily so on Saturday I just hung it round my neck like an ordinary camera strap - and let the mechanical damping properties of my well-fed belly protect the camera This arrangement seemed to work OK, and avoided having the weight on the body lugs of either camera.

John
Old 8th September 2015

And .... I hadn't seen that Black Rapid double before. Could be interesting, thanks for posting it.

John
The Following User Liked This Post:
Old 8th September 2015

John, you've convinced me that I need a single shoulder sling in addition to the double sling

Added to the shopping basket

Steve

Black Rapid RS-Sport Strap: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo Black Rapid RS-Sport Strap: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

Old 8th September 2015

I've just twigged that in talking about the mechanics of dangling heavy camera/lens combos I completely overlooked your other questions.

Optically there should be absolutely no difference between the MMF-1/2/3 and the Panasonic equivalent. They don't contain any glass, they are just tubes with a "Big43" female mount of the front and a Micro-4/3 male mount on the back, plus appropriate electrical connections. I have used it on the E-M1 with the 50-200, 150mm f/2 and 90-250, with and without converters, and all work fine. I wouldn't want to trust it in an absolute deluge, but in general I am glad of the extra sealing of the MMF-3 and treat it just the same as any other supposedly sealed lens-body combo.

It's difficult to make definitive comments about focussing because there are so many variables and we all have different expectations. I have found it plenty good enough for stuff for the local paper and A4 prints - probably not as snappy o focus as the small fast m43 lenses but it does the job.

Hope this helps ... John
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bikie John For This Useful Post:
alfbranch (28th September 2015), Wreckdiver (10th September 2015)