Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 9th January 2015

Liked 1,382 Times in 810 Posts
Abbey

Following the request for me to post some more views of Wymondham Abbey, here they are. It's amazing that it survived; Henry VIII's men had already started to demolish it in 1538 as part of the Dissolution, when the townspeople got together and demanded that it be kept as the town church. And so it stands today, together with the ruins of the monastic part that was demolished. It has a lovely interior, and is currently the subject of both an extension, and archaeological excavations among the ruins. http://www.wymondhamabbey.org.uk/abbey-and-history

The main tower:
[IMG][/IMG]

One classic view:
[IMG][/IMG]

A second classic view across the Tiffey valley:
[IMG][/IMG]
This view was threatened by developers wanting to build on the water meadows last year, but so far, local protest has stopped them.

The Nave and high altar (note the ornate hammer beam ceiling with its carved angels on the beam ends):
[IMG][/IMG]

And the side chapel (I believe it's the lady chapel):

It acquired its medieval triptych quite recently.
The Following Users Liked This Post:
OM USer (10th January 2015), pandora (10th January 2015), Ralph Harwood (9th January 2015)
Old 9th January 2015
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,504 Times in 2,141 Posts
Re: Abbey

It's certainly a beautiful building. The view across the Tiffey Valley also gives an indication of how big it is. It reminds me a little of Ely. I'm amazed (well, not really ) that developers are still trying to build on water meadows, given the lessons of last year's floods.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 9th January 2015

Liked 1,382 Times in 810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
It's certainly a beautiful building. The view across the Tiffey Valley also gives an indication of how big it is. It reminds me a little of Ely. I'm amazed (well, not really ) that developers are still trying to build on water meadows, given the lessons of last year's floods.
Money rules OK doesn't it? They wanted to put up very expensive four and five bed houses there. They would have made a great deal of profit - and ruined a view that has been thus for hundreds of years, as well as upsetting most of the townspeople. But do they care? Is the Pope a Catholic?
Old 10th January 2015

Thanked 1,543 Times in 1,494 Posts
Liked 4,379 Times in 1,979 Posts

Now this set really fits the title and shows what it's all about, both inside and out.

Nice set Keith.

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill