Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 10th August 2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quick question on AF points

Hi all, not sure why I can't figure this out (or find it in the somewhat lacking manual).

The other cameras I have used have the option to use single AF point or multiple (letting the camera decide on which point or points to use).

I normally use a single AF point.

I can switch face priority on and off but cannot seem to switch between the single AF point (which I can adjust in size and position) and multiple AF points.

Maybe I'm expecting too much? My other cameras will select 3, 4 or more points but I can't find the option for this on the M1.

I'm astounded I can't and look forward to feeling an idiot

Thank in advance for any help.

One positive is the mild annoyance of this has led me to find this forum
Old 10th August 2014

Thanked 1,435 Times in 1,325 Posts
Liked 2,419 Times in 1,141 Posts
Re: Quick question on AF points

Welcome to the forum, I agree about the manual it's not the easiest read.
To select the af points go to your super control panel and highlight the af tile. Press ok so that all the points are full frame on the screen. Then press the info button and you will see two yellow icons pop up on the bottom lhs corner. Then pressing the up and down arrows will cycle through the options to use single points ,9 points, all points and small points. I tend to use the small centre point myself generally although the 9 point setting is quite useful for BiF shots.

I'm sure there are other ways to do this and others may have some shortcuts but this is how I do it.
Old 10th August 2014

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 798 Times in 467 Posts

A warm welcome to the group, glad you found us.

You will find the information on selecting AF areas on page 52 of the manual.

Hope this helps.

Edit. As Phill says there are other ways to do most things on this (and all OM-D's) camera. It's a very configurable device and takes a while to get it set up to your personal preferences.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
Old 10th August 2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank you Phil and Peter. Both for the welcome and the info.

That has certainly worked.

Well, it now selects it's own AF point from the range.

Does the M1 only select one or will it select multiple if the conditions are right?

Thank you again.
Old 10th August 2014

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 798 Times in 467 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wd40 View Post
Well, it now selects it's own AF point from the range.

Does the M1 only select one or will it select multiple if the conditions are right?

Thank you again.
It will select the focus box which has the greatest contrast in it.
Remember these cameras use the contrast detection AF system so do not have "focus points" as phase detection AF systems do, just boxes.

This means that if, like me you photograph a lot of things like birds in trees you need to make sure it will focus on the subject rather than any of its surroundings which may be in the same focus box. To deal with this Olympus introduced the "small" focus box with the E-M1 (and added it to the E-M5 which I use).
If you are taking shots of landscapes etc. the larger focus box or a group will usually be quite satisfactory.

Contrast detection actually gives the possibility of some useful tricks like face detection ( although it will not always pick the face you want to focus on in a group ) and eye detection. Eye detection can be very useful for portraits where you usually want the eyes to be the sharpest element. It can even allow you select the right or left eye, pretty neat!

Regards.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.