Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus Pen Lite E-PL5

Olympus Pen Lite E-PL5 The new and improved Olympus Pen Lite with the OM-D E-M5's excellenyt 16MP sensor and a touch screen that can face forwards for self-portraits.

Old 6th June 2014

Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
E-PL5 compared to Fuji X10

I hope no one minds me doing this comparison, the first image is from the E-PL5 and 17mm pancake lens and the second is from the Fuji X10....which I picked up as a bargain for 167 in Dubai (how could I deny myself at that price)

..I think this is pretty good for a 2/3 size sensor...it takes a bit more post processing to achieve the same result....but I'm impressed. What do you think.

We all know M43 sensors are challenging DSLRs....but I was not aware compact size sensors had come such a long way.
I've been impressed with some of the posts on here with images from the Stylus compact...so maybe I should have known.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Crazy Dave (7th June 2014)
Old 7th June 2014

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts
Re: E-PL5 compared to Fuji X10

On the matter of 2/3 sensors I have hundreds of images taken on a Leica Digilux 2 in 2005/6/7 which are of amazingly high quality and several still grace my walls as A3 prints. The Digilux 2 had a 2/3 sensor which I believe was made by Sony.

David
Old 7th June 2014
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,504 Times in 2,141 Posts

I'd say there is about half a stop exposure difference between the two but otherwise it's hard to tell then apart - especially at web resolution. I suspect that 100% crops may tell a different story, but who in the real world views their pictures as 100 crops? You got a bargain.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 7th June 2014

Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts

I loved my X10 and the only reason I sold it was my ongoing need to use cameras with a viewfinder. Just sold my RX100ii this week because I cant get on using just an LCD.

I think your comparison shows just how good the X10 is.