Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 23rd December 2013

Liked 1,323 Times in 796 Posts
Re: Are you happy with your E-M1?

Good one John.

David M's Photoblog
The Following User Liked This Post:
Zuiko (23rd December 2013)
Old 23rd December 2013

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

Of course I got a chance to try the E-M1 in secret before the launch, ostensibly for BIF practice, and although I had reservations about it's capability in this respect I loved the feel of it and the additional buttons compared to the E-M5 so I bought one. My experience so far has been very positive, I love the ergonomics especially with the grip attached and it feels like the perfect replacement to my E5. I have had a few teething problems like soft images and IBIS issues which I was convinced was a "running in" issue, as have some others on this forum. However all is now well in the AF and IBIS areas and I have now customised the camera to suit my needs with BIFs now being fairly reliably captured. It's still not in the same league as my 7D but the quality of results means it's a camera I now can't leave behind. I'm more than happy with the AF on my 4/3 lenses too.

A couple of small niggles:

I'd love the ability to assign IBIS to a button as in the E5, which has a dedicated one.
I do so wish it had a built in flash, it wouldn't take up much room but would undoubtedly spoil the "retro" look.

All in all a very satisfactory purpose and one that I think I will be satisfied with for a number of years. Now all I need is a 3-400mm prime to complete my m4/3 outfit.

David
Alpha1 (26th December 2013), Olybirder (23rd December 2013)
Old 23rd December 2013

Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts

Although my OM-D E-M1 + 12-40 lens arrived 6 weeks ago for a variety of reasons, domestic and weather mainly I have not had the opportunity of using it as much as I would normally. I hope to remedy this during my forthcoming trip to Australia.

So far I have experienced none of the problems such as lock-ups, blurry pictures etc that have been reported. I have found the complexity of the control options somewhat overwhelming despite having used an E-M5 for the past year. I have set the new camera up so that I can control the essential functions aperture,shutter, ISO, WB, magnification and EV compensation using buttons and dials and have saved the setting to a Myset so at least I can get back to my familiar setup easily. With more experience of the camera I will add additional Mysets. Having a copy of the pdf manual professionally printed and bound proved a good investment though I think Olympus should provide a printed manual with a camera of this complexity and price.

I have been impressed by the EVF which must be one of the best available. I have also found the camera handles manual lenses very well. As a long term Leica user I have enjoyed using my old visoflex telephoto lenses with the benefit of IBIS and magnification.

I did not claim the freebies as I dislike adding weight and bulk to the camera body so have no need of a grip and I do not have any four thirds glass.

Overall I am very happy with the O-M1.
Olybirder (23rd December 2013)
Old 23rd December 2013

Liked 1,327 Times in 625 Posts

Quote:
Overall I am very happy with the O-M1.
Slipped through a time warp there Archie!
Old 23rd December 2013

Liked 331 Times in 159 Posts

I have had my EM1 since the 1 Nov and would have to admit that it is still too early for me to make a valid recommendation for others to buy this camera. My short review will focus on the things I like about the EM1 and what it can do differently from my other E series cameras.

In many respects, on paper, it has those features I have wanted in a top of the range DSLR. I have used it for real for a firework display and rock band events. Although I have had some issues I would have to say that I have got better results from these events than I had with the E3 & E5. I love the time lapse and livetime features. I do not fully understand what is going on with the long exposure noise issue but I have been able to get some useable startrials.

I like all the buttons and I wish there were more I would have a button dedicated to mysets where I could toggle through the saved mysets. I never thought I would want a grip but I just might keep this grip on because it has extra buttons Yes it is complex with sooooo many configurations but we all do different things with our cameras.

I cannot compare with the EM5 but my FT glass seems to work fine with the EM1. The jury is still out on the CAF performance with FT glass and will not know that until the bike racing season starts.

The EVF has some strong advantages over the OVF but I am still not sure about the lag but that is not really a problem because I think the ability to get the exposure tuned through the EVF is something I had not fully appreciated. The other real strength is when using long lens with IS. The way in which the image steadies when you half press the shutter is amazing. And yes the viewfinder is stunning.

Battery life is disappointing but I knew that before I brought it and have just invested in the mains adapter AC3.

I have yet to use it for my main purpose which is holiday snapshots, wildlife and bike racing.

I envy those of you who are able to get to places to photo BIF, which is high on my camera must be able to do list, but am happy that the results you are getting shows that the EM1 is capable of taking such shots.

So I have no regrets buying this new camera and being an early adopter.

Just cannot wait for the 40-150 f2.8 lens to arrive.

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1
The Following User Says Thank You to birdboy For This Useful Post:
Olybirder (23rd December 2013)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
catkins (23rd December 2013), yorky (21st January 2014)
Old 23rd December 2013

Liked 71 Times in 37 Posts

'So far so good' would be my report for the camera, and 'could do better' would be my report for the user!
I bought the camera knowing that it would be a compromise that was good for hopefully 80% of my photographic needs, so that helps temper some of my concerns, that need time to get used to, better user knowledge and/or perhaps even firmware updates to solve.

The key pluses:
  • Low light performance is a real pleasure after using the E-30 - it has coped with all my usual dark and shady places that I frequent!
  • Lightweight even using the battery grip - the grip is a big plus for me generally and is kept on at all times, but the option of even less weight/size if removed is pleasing
  • Control options - almost too many for an old brain like mine but still useful, and the Super Control Panel on the LCD screen is so simple for controlling the key options and is a massive plus for me over other camera makes
  • Manual focus with the 12-40mm Pro lens plus 'magnify' - much more tempting to use & experiment with
  • Wifi - modern life means 'social media' communications and being able to so easily transfer an image from camera to tablet for editing and then on Facebook, for example, is simplicity itself
  • Image performance - everything that I could want, images well balanced in light, colour & focus. Throw-outs are user errors in the main.
  • IS - excellent in its uses to date

Pluses & Minuses:
  • EVF - mainly a very useful plus, good & clear, but it wasn't ideal for high speed drive mode, low level aviation on initial use (more testing by me needed), and I miss the optical viewfinder when battery draining options are at work
  • Four thirds adaptor - work in progress as I need to test more but within the maxim of 'one camera for all' then so far it does the job, though I still hanker for the E7!
  • Olympus communication - an important part of owning a 'Pro' camera is the relationship between photographer and Olympus. It's had its teething problems and lessons are being learnt, especially as what I would define as an 'enthusiast/semi-pro' camera has had what seems to be a 'consumer' type camera success that perhaps surprised even the most hopeful sales department.

Minuses:
  • Battery life can be relatively short if using EVF/LCD a lot for composition, review etc.
  • Lack of a swivelling LCD screen - a big miss for me in low level landscape/close-up photography, with the E-30 reminding me what I miss
  • Concerns about reliability for low level aviation focusing/tracking - lack of recent photo opportunities mean lack of more testing opportunities until February. Total reliability from first spotting the target to when it passes by is essential in such a fast moving situation, and it need to do a lot more learning before I feel confident. I've not had a chance to see if the new firmware has made an improvement.

Now the above almost make it look like a 70/30 result, but results and user confidence with the product are also essential, and these are two big pluses for me.
So the E-M1 is certainly achieving my expectations - great work by Olympus in difficult circumstances and, more importantly, hopefully a commercial success that will ensure a great future for us Oly users.
(BTW Olympus - love the idea of full frame E-8!)

Regards
Chris
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to catkins For This Useful Post:
Olybirder (23rd December 2013), Pierre L (24th December 2013), yorky (21st January 2014)
Old 23rd December 2013

Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1208 View Post
Slipped through a time warp there Archie!
One of these senior moments I expect. Actually I never used any of the Olympus film SLRs.
brian1208 (23rd December 2013)
Old 23rd December 2013

Liked 53 Times in 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayewing View Post
One of these senior moments I expect. Actually I never used any of the Olympus film SLRs.
ah....you missed one of the best super control panel experiences ever then - you got told how many shots you started with and the ISO you had selected for all your shots too!
The Following User Says Thank You to photo_owl For This Useful Post:
ayewing (23rd December 2013)
Old 23rd December 2013

Liked 74 Times in 45 Posts

yes, although disappointingly I am yet to take an image that I think has that wow factor, but then since having it I have become fussier with my images, and it is not really my 'season' this time next year I will be able to answer that question.
Old 23rd December 2013

Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts

love it and hate it.

Let me first say that most of my pictures are taken using C-AF with 90-250. What I had hoped is a camera with similar "performance" to E-3 with better picture quality and higher usable ISO.

When you get everything right the image quality is superb and there are a good couple of stops more usable ISO.

The downside is that C-AF is unresponsive, so I keep missing the interesting action. Where as the E-3 takes a picture when shutter is pressed the E-m1 sits there wondering if its in focus. Strangely releasing shutter and quickly pressing again often gets a quick response. Also I still find that I can't move between focus points quick enough.

At the moment I just find it so much more frustrating than the E-1 and E-3 I have.

Lets hope with more practise the frustration goes and I get to capture the interesting action again.

Gary
The Following User Says Thank You to gazza95 For This Useful Post:
crimbo (24th December 2013)
Old 23rd December 2013

Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts

I am pleased with mine so far. I have not had a chance to use it heavily yet, having bought it in November, but am hoping to have some more chances to use it soon. I am still getting used to the different interface from the E-P3 that I had before, but, once I am used to it, I strongly suspect that I shall find it much quicker to use: I do love the ability to alter the function of dials and buttons using the lever.

I have not had any lock-ups (although, as noted, I have not used it heavily yet), and I have not had any particular difficulty with long exposure noise (I leave the automatic dark frame subtraction on, as I did with my E-P3, so the only issue with this in any event is the time that the automatic dark frame subtraction takes; but even this can probably be done in post). I have not noticed any difficulty with the IBIS (which I have left on its default setting) or unsharp pictures (except where I have done something wrong), and find the IBIS to be extremely good.

I do not take a great deal of action photographs, but have had good experiences so far with using the 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 with the MMF-3 adapter for pictures of squirrels in my local park (certainly a far better experience than with the E-P3 and a manual 135mm f/3.5 that I used for the purpose before). Hand-held pictures in December daylight at 200mm were perfectly sharp. I have not tried C-AF.

I find the handling to be excellent, especially as, I have found, I can use it whilst wearing gloves without much difficulty, save that I cannot use the touch screen. The grip is more comfortable in my large hands than the E-P3, even with its optional larger grip.
Old 24th December 2013

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazza95 View Post
love it and hate it.

Let me first say that most of my pictures are taken using C-AF with 90-250. What I had hoped is a camera with similar "performance" to E-3 with better picture quality and higher usable ISO.

When you get everything right the image quality is superb and there are a good couple of stops more usable ISO.

The downside is that C-AF is unresponsive, so I keep missing the interesting action. Where as the E-3 takes a picture when shutter is pressed the E-m1 sits there wondering if its in focus. Strangely releasing shutter and quickly pressing again often gets a quick response. Also I still find that I can't move between focus points quick enough.

At the moment I just find it so much more frustrating than the E-1 and E-3 I have.

Lets hope with more practise the frustration goes and I get to capture the interesting action again.

Gary
I am afraid I never managed consistent results using C-AF on E30, E5 or E-M5 so I didn't have great hopes of getting to grips with it on the E-M1. It certainly appears to work better with the ED300mm f2.8 because of the focus limiting capability but I have to admit not trying too hard to make it work for me on the M1. I find the S-AF to be much more consistent in locking focus and with a 10fps burst I can get at least 7 or 8 frames in focus before the subject moves out of the zone.

David
Old 26th December 2013
Alpha1

After well over 4000 frames shot with my EM-1, I have not fortunately suffered any lock-ups after almost three months of use. This EM-1 camera suits my needs perfectly adequately.

However, as I always need a second body I have deferred ordering another until Olympus have made some sort of statement about these lock-up problems as I don't believe in investing into anything that has a potential design or manufacturing flaw.

So my EM-5 will have to continue performing the second body role until we hear something from Olympus.
Old 19th January 2014

Liked 888 Times in 311 Posts

Well mine arrived on Saturday morning, yes I finally succumbed
So far pretty impressed to be honest, I like the build and feel and the transition from my E-M5 is relatively straight forward.
Only one minor negative is that I'm not so fond of the on off switch position.

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 19th January 2014

Liked 105 Times in 60 Posts

Congrat's Huw, body only or did you stretch to the 12-40 kit?
Greytop (19th January 2014)