Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 22nd May 2014

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts
Re: Are you happy with your E-M1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Ramona View Post
I am seriously considering selling my E-5 for an E-M1 and until today have only hears amazing things about the camera. Now I am worried because of all these stories of lockups.
I have been an Olympus user for many years. E10, E300, E1, E3, E5 and have never had a single problem with any of these cameras. Rock solid and they have been taken all over the place and in some harsh conditions.
I am worried that I might be buying something that is too clever for its own good. For me one of the great attractions of Olympus kit is its "weapons grade" build quality. Granted (up till now) they have not been cutting edge and other brands have had more pixels, focus points or whatever - that did not matter to me. Simple and solid - and of course amazing lenses - thats why i stick with them.
Anyone else feeling the same? Should I be worried?
Thanks
James
James, even with the probs I am in utter AWE of the IQ I have to admit to mainly OOC posts and as others have post processed a couple of my images (which I will do when I get ... time ) they are actually far far better than posted and especially RAW post processed images are knocked your sox off BRILLIANT IQ

Sometimes in life, we have to take a risk - I invested substantial sums in my E-5 and then the ONE and M.4/3 glass - I am never disappointed with the images I capture - any I miss with locks ups/black outs ... Well there is always another day and another dollar - after all I miss enough myself with panning "training" This ONE body + glass never disappoints and many ex NikCANons say the same and many of them are Pros

At the Wildlife Centre I definately got as many brilliant high IQ images of all subjects with my kit as they with theirs ... only difference was my kit was 1/4 the price and weight of theirs
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 22nd May 2014

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

Love my em1', never had a single lock up yet, if I had and e5 myself with good glass, I might have been ambivalent about the em1 as for me there is something about being comfortable in having grown into a system , but I came from an ep1 so the em1 was such a step up.
Old 22nd May 2014

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Okay, I guess there is a bit of fear from leaving my comfort zone. I have grown up with SLRs then DSLRs and am getting ready to step away from slappy clunky mechanical things into new territory! I guess that the advance in portability, convenience, and image quality will be worth it. Plus I do lighting for stage shows and I believe that the one is a better animal for shooting stuff like that.
Old 22nd May 2014

Liked 888 Times in 311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Ramona View Post
I am seriously considering selling my E-5 for an E-M1 and until today have only hears amazing things about the camera. Now I am worried because of all these stories of lockups.
I have been an Olympus user for many years. E10, E300, E1, E3, E5 and have never had a single problem with any of these cameras. Rock solid and they have been taken all over the place and in some harsh conditions.
I am worried that I might be buying something that is too clever for its own good. For me one of the great attractions of Olympus kit is its "weapons grade" build quality. Granted (up till now) they have not been cutting edge and other brands have had more pixels, focus points or whatever - that did not matter to me. Simple and solid - and of course amazing lenses - thats why i stick with them.
Anyone else feeling the same? Should I be worried?
Thanks
James
James, a few thoughts, firstly I think the E-M1 is a worthy successor to the the E-5. E-3 and E-1 bodies, it's the first m4/3rds body to my mind that now feels solid and dependable like the E-5 does and I've not had a single lockup (touch wood).
However much as I like and appreciate the capabilities of my E-M1 the funny thing is it doesn't quite have that something my E-M5 had when I first purchased it and still has to this day (can't put my finger on it).

Having looked at your really very impressive portfolio to see what subject matter you tend to gravitate to I would say the the E-M1 will definately do you proud.

I have however a further thought that might be considered a bit of heresy but here goes... had you thought about giving a Fuji X-T1 a trial?
The lens range is quickly expanding with real tangible quality and the output from the X-Trans is sublime (I had an X-E1 until recently), it's a real low light monster rivalling output from 35mm sensors.
The new X-T1 has as many boxes ticked that than E-M1 has and more in some areas... as I say just a thought. I'm sure Fuji would also suit your photography style very well as will the Oly E-M1

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 22nd May 2014

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

I have both the xpro1 and the em1, I like both and agree the fuji is great for low light and most things. I shot a wedding with both and got very good results with both but 75% of the images I shot were with the em1, this was mostly because the em1 was so much more responsive and has in my view much better handling over the fuji. In IQ terms for a real world situation there is not much to separate the two IMHO. If I had to have one, I lean toward the em1 because I have invested in good glass and I don't have the same sense of having bonded with the fuji
The Following User Says Thank You to Glee For This Useful Post:
Greytop (23rd May 2014)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Alpha1 (24th May 2014)
Old 23rd May 2014

Thanked 1,339 Times in 1,044 Posts
Liked 2,182 Times in 1,164 Posts

Now that the firmware 1.4 has improved the AF with 4/3's lenses, it shouldn't be forgotten when comparing the E5 & E-M1 now. For the couple of lenses I have tried I can see some improvement & I think the SWD lenses should be better than they were now. I like the E-M1 but am also glad I also have the E-M5. That was a ground breaker when it came & is still a great little camera & the two will keep me satisfied for a long time (it has to, my wife said!). I am also glad I have the Stylus 1 as an alternative & back-up to my kit & also pleased to still have the E30 to drag out now & again, just for the sake of it & compare things etc.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 23rd May 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glee View Post
I have both the xpro1 and the em1, I like both and agree the fuji is great for low light and most things. I shot a wedding with both and got very good results with both but 75% of the images I shot were with the em1, this was mostly because the em1 was so much more responsive and has in my view much better handling over the fuji. In IQ terms for a real world situation there is not much to separate the two IMHO. If I had to have one, I lean toward the em1 because I have invested in good glass and I don't have the same sense of having bonded with the fuji
Interesting to hear your thoughts on the X-Pro1 verses the E-M1 but the X-T1 is a very different animal, much more responsive, faster focussing, smaller more compact, weather sealed, excellent EVF etc etc. In other words much more E-M1 like.

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 23rd May 2014
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

Neither the XT1 nor its lenses have any form of image stabiilisation (if I'm correct).

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
The Following User Says Thank You to StephenL For This Useful Post:
Old 23rd May 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
Neither the XT1 nor its lenses have any form of image stabiilisation (if I'm correct).
All the Fuji X zooms are image stabilised including the forth coming weather sealed XF16-55 f/2.8 and XF50-140 f/2.8. The primes are not stabilised.

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 23rd May 2014
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greytop View Post
All the Fuji X zooms are image stabilised including the forth coming weather sealed XF16-55 f/2.8 and XF50-140 f/2.8. The primes are not stabilised.
Ah - thanks for that. I couldn't find any reference, and the "other" forum seemed to be suggesting otherwise. Good to know - the XT1 looks a great camera otherwise.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 23rd May 2014

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Thanks Huw for you kind comment on my folio, its appreciated. As you can see mostly my subjects don't run around very much, but having gotten used to the speedy autofocus on my E5/12-60 combo I dont want to go any slower now. Plus I think that with eye detection I might start trying to shoot people a bit more.
I have spent quite a long time looking at the Fujifilm X-T1 as an alternative. As I would eventually replace all my glass with the new native four thirds stuff, effectively all that would remain from my old system would be two flashguns. More on that later.
So yes, a total switch sounded interesting. I already have a little Fujifilm X10 which I love, and it took many of the pictures on my Flickr pages recently.
Fujifilm is a company thats different, like Olympus in many ways (but maybe with a bit more financial acumen) They think different and make truly interesting and desirable kit. Their lenses are superb. And the sensor makes gorgeous pictures. They are also about to bring out two new zooms of constant f2.8, weatherproofed, of just the kind of range that I like, and the idea of the slightly bigger sensor and fixed aperture fast lenses does certainly appeal.
But they are not out yet. And as mentioned above, no IBIS so lenses are going to be bigger. However having said that the system complete is still smaller that E5 kit by quite a margin, and its got a bigger sensor. But crucially, there is no decent flash and that is something I use quite often, with the Olympus off camera units triggered by pop/up or clipon in case on E-M1. I have been told that its not necessary to use TTL flash and therefore you can get third party remote triggers, but once you have something good it is tough to give that up and use a less effective and easy method.So that became a bit of a deal breaker really.
I picked one up for the first time yesterday and it is really lovely. Great construction and I love all the dials - that would work for me. It does not feel quite as well made as the M1 but theres not much in it. Controls were a bit more positive on Olympus.
I played for a while with the M1 in the shop and liked it a lot but honestly preferred the feel and response on my E5. But thinking on the drive home, I am giving up that familiar clunk and OVF but gaining so much - better sensor, IBIS, dynamic range, low light etc, so I think its a price worth paying.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Greytop (23rd May 2014)
Old 9th June 2014

Liked 74 Times in 45 Posts

yes outrageously so!
Old 9th June 2014

Liked 305 Times in 193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody View Post
yes outrageously so!

Me too, a simply awesome camera
Old 9th June 2014

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 6,007 Times in 1,955 Posts

I picked up a used E-M1 last week and I'm very happy with it so far. It's certainly got improved handling over the E-M5, the EVF is nicer and it's overall a more responsive camera. IQ seems a wash between the two. I've had no untoward behaviour yet either. So, all-in-all I'm pretty happy.

BUT... I must concur with others here about the E-M5. It's really a cute camera. It has that certain Je ne sais quoi that the E-M1 doesn't have. I guess part of the problem is the grip on the E-M1; it's all very functional, but pretty it ain't. However, where it comes to taking photographs with the minimum of fuss and the best functionality, then it's got to be the E-M1. These things are cameras not fashion models!
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following User Says Thank You to pdk42 For This Useful Post:
yorky (10th June 2014)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
davy59 (10th June 2014), Greytop (9th June 2014), Ross the fiddler (10th June 2014)
Old 10th June 2014

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Have to say I spent about a year thinking about upgrading from my E5 to the EM-1. I bought an EM-5 in July last year and it blew me away along with the purchase of some prime lens.

I had the idea that using the EM-5 with prime glass would improve my photography but I also found myself increasingly wishing I had a body which could use my 3/4 zooms and my micro 3/4 primes. I really missed the menu of the EM-5 and the ease of use when I went back to the E5. The E5 is also a heck of a weight compared to the EM-5!

Don't get me wrong, I still loved my E5 but I wanted a camera I could use all my glass. My main worry was I do a lot of avaition photography and there has been so much talk about focusing issues and the EM-1; I was frightened to make the change.

Finally it was the grip offer and the good quote for trade in on the E5 that moved me to act and finally last week end I got to try the EM-1 with a moving aircraft. Why did I worry?? Andy on here after the BIF day said the EM-1 would not disappoint and that was very true. Dare I say it is significantly better than the E5 at action? True I have done a lot of aviation photograpy with the E5 and I think I kind of second guess how the kit/lenes will behave. It is certainly as good as the E5 with the firmware 1.4 if not better, focus can hunt around a bit but I have yet to experience any Olympus or indeed any camera which does not hunt around at any time! I also love the focus buttons, they are so much easier to use in action photography a serious improvement. The E5 drove me mad switching focus points with an object flying towards you at speed, too often I messed up single focus point shooting because I missed the button.

I adore the EM-1 not because I have gained more 'Explore' awards on 'Flickr' but because it gives me everything I want in a great package. I also don't have to sell my beloved 50 - 200mm SWD!
The Following User Says Thank You to davy59 For This Useful Post:
Chevvyf1 (10th June 2014)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Chevvyf1 (10th June 2014), Ross the fiddler (10th June 2014)