Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 8th February 2014

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts
Re: EM-1 Lock-up Information

S-AF is better for moving objects as you re focus each frame

Re My Sets I have some notes printed off Business card size - both sides of 3 so 6 sides and laminated them and have them hanging from my neck strap - so at least I can be reminded of the settings and not get DUFF blurred images because I have forgotten a My Set setting Insurance
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 8th February 2014

Liked 734 Times in 491 Posts

I went a month without any lockups and was beginning to get some confidence in the camera. Then I got three - the first of which was very embarrassing as it was a fairly unrepeatable event. At rugby, our mascot for the day was leading the team onto the pitch - I get the pic and we present nice framed prints to them all at the end of the season

It makes me think that it might have roots in something mechanical. It all works for a while, then something gets slightly stuck when the CPU tells it to move, causing the whole system to freeze while it waits for a response. Then after while, or a jerky bike ride or something, it frees itself.

I had a new symptom with the last one - viewfinder was showing reasonably-focused image of the ground, and the orange light which shows writing to the card was blinking. It was as if I had taken a shot (which to the best of my knowledge I hadn't) and refused to record it properly on aesthetic grounds. I will update the case via email to Olympus.

John
Old 9th February 2014

Liked 48 Times in 33 Posts

Hi, two lock-up's today. The first with the 75-300 at 300mm, but SAF. Battery removal/replace cured this.
The second is more intersting, was with 60mm macro. In SAF mode. Initially, I appearede to be able to change shutter speed, but the sound remained the same when it should have sounded quicker. Then complete lock-up with exception the image on the LCD remained and showed whatever the lens was looking at, but of course unable to focus.
Not sure now how take this forward with Olympus, now no confidence in camera.
Old 9th February 2014

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

My first one today while reviewing images. No lens on - what do we make of that?

David
Old 9th February 2014

Liked 1,327 Times in 625 Posts

there is no consistent pattern?
Old 10th February 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by pault View Post
Hi, two lock-up's today. The first with the 75-300 at 300mm, but SAF. Battery removal/replace cured this.
The second is more intersting, was with 60mm macro. In SAF mode. Initially, I appearede to be able to change shutter speed, but the sound remained the same when it should have sounded quicker. Then complete lock-up with exception the image on the LCD remained and showed whatever the lens was looking at, but of course unable to focus.
Not sure now how take this forward with Olympus, now no confidence in camera.

Paul WHEN did you get your ONE ?

I am still having these ... but half the image on the screen and grey or black bottom half of the screen and off does not clear it have to remove battery !

I am hanging in because the IQ is AWESOME ! Low Light it eats for Breakfast ...

the ONE photo album
The Following User Says Thank You to Chevvyf1 For This Useful Post:
jamsa (10th February 2014)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Old 10th February 2014

Liked 1,281 Times in 728 Posts

After my initial issues, I've still had nil since. For example I just returned from a 2-week trip to the Caribbean with 2000+ images, high temperatures, lots of lens-swapping and assorted button pressing (almost no CAF, though) and not a single lock-up.

I'm about to update the firmware, so all available digits are crossed...

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drmarkf For This Useful Post:
jamsa (10th February 2014), pault (10th February 2014)
Old 10th February 2014

Hi Chevvy
Got it early Nov 13. When they came with 12-40 lens. ( I think this was second phase launch) This is my second one, the first was Body only, which I returned as Viewfinder was leaning to the left about 10deg.
I too like the camera just get frustrated with "lock-up's and now IBIS issue's. Aggravated by no definitive information from Olympus, how long do we have to put up with this?
I am tempted to watch the Fuji X-T1 forums to see how there camera performs, might sway me, but not seriuosly really wanting to change.
Still have E-M5, if IBIS plays up again, intend contacting Chris Dale.
Pault
Old 10th February 2014

Quote:
Hi Chevvy
Got it early Nov 13. When they came with 12-40 lens. ( I think this was second phase launch) This is my second one, the first was Body only, which I returned as Viewfinder was leaning to the left about 10deg.
I too like the camera just get frustrated with "lock-up's and now IBIS issue's. Aggravated by no definitive information from Olympus, how long do we have to put up with this?
I am tempted to watch the Fuji X-T1 forums to see how there camera performs, might sway me, but not seriuosly really wanting to change.
Still have E-M5, if IBIS plays up again, intend contacting Chris Dale.
Pault

Paul, I have had Olympus Cameras (only a Kodak instamatic at AGE 11 as my first ever camera) since my OM Still have 3 legacy lenses ) and I really want to be an Olympus Camera person STILL

I lurve the IQ - I hated its "smallness" at first, from the E-5 but got used to it in three weeks and NEVER use the grip as I like the "smallness" now !

It is packed with so much and punches way way above its weight ... to me I shall hang on until May (when I get another dollop of dosh) and then ? who knows ... I have never ever looked at a Fuji or the Pentax K :eek; both of which I "hear" about from other Olympus people ...

the ONE photo album
Old 10th February 2014

Chevvy,
I have always liked small camera's. In film days had Pentax ME. When digital, If recall correctly Pentax were slow to develop. First digital was Fuji, can't remember model but it stood up in vertical plan like packet cigarettes with lens in one corner. This followed with Nikon but found to be too big and heavy and went with Olympus E-620 for small size/weight etc.
As you say IQ with E-M1 is superb and no complaints.
I have been doing some lateral thinking. If Olympus need help sorting out the current issues maybe we could help. If they took firmware back to a more basic state, isolating some of the newer features like IBIS, for example they field test by loaning cameras to members here, and as we report problems /no problems they could do firmware updates via internet gradually adding more functions until issues resolved.
Are you there Olymous?
Paul
Old 10th February 2014

Quote:
Chevvy,
I have always liked small camera's. In film days had Pentax ME. When digital, If recall correctly Pentax were slow to develop. First digital was Fuji, can't remember model but it stood up in vertical plan like packet cigarettes with lens in one corner. This followed with Nikon but found to be too big and heavy and went with Olympus E-620 for small size/weight etc.
As you say IQ with E-M1 is superb and no complaints.
I have been doing some lateral thinking. If Olympus need help sorting out the current issues maybe we could help. If they took firmware back to a more basic state, isolating some of the newer features like IBIS, for example they field test by loaning cameras to members here, and as we report problems /no problems they could do firmware updates via internet gradually adding more functions until issues resolved.
Are you there Olymous?
Paul
WELL Paul, if I were Beta Testing software that is EXACTLY what I would do (as there is no clear single route to these problems). I wonder if we sent our ONEs back they could retrieve all the data ... and work on that for a remedy ?

the ONE photo album
Old 10th February 2014

Chevvy,
Thats a very good idea, it could lead to identifying weaknesses in the design for future improvement as well action to take in carrying out repairs.
Paul
Old 10th February 2014

Liked 1,281 Times in 728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
I'm about to update the firmware, so all available digits are crossed...
Sorry, correction, 2 weeks on the Westerhall Vintage rum has softened my brain. The E-M1 had already been updated, but it was the M5 that needed one more step - all went well.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Old 11th February 2014

Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Exclamation Re: EM-1 Lock-up Information

I have been following this thread with interest.
I have not really had a good opportunity to give my E-M1 a real workout yet but have not had any problems (knocks on wood-head) .
I read that many of you have had lock ups in S-AF and I wonder if the cause could be similar to what people complained about with the E-3 and sometimes the E-5.?

Something I discovered on the E-3 (back in the day ) ,was that lock ups almost always occurred when I did a quick sequence of 'feathering' the shutter button to capture motion, since C-AF was about useless on the camera. The shutter release button on the E-M1 has a very different tactile feel than the E_3 and 5 and may be even more finicky. By 'feathering' I mean rapidly half pressing to focus .
It makes the camera go into convulsions, the processor quits, and locks up to protect itself, and a reboot is in order, just like trying to run too many programs at the same time on a slow computer.

Just a thought.
David
The Following User Says Thank You to dh202 For This Useful Post:
Chevvyf1 (11th February 2014)
Chevvyf1 (11th February 2014)
Old 11th February 2014

Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikie John View Post
It makes me think that it might have roots in something mechanical. It all works for a while, then something gets slightly stuck when the CPU tells it to move, causing the whole system to freeze while it waits for a response. Then after while, or a jerky bike ride or something, it frees itself.

John
Sticky button or lever, possibility!