Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M5

Olympus OM-D E-M5 The first Micro Four Thirds camera from Olympus with an integrated Electronic Viewfinder

Old 24th August 2013

Liked 289 Times in 143 Posts
OM-D problem?

I have a problem. I also have no idea if this is the best place for this thread, but i do suspect it's an omd issue.

I have been importing my photos into iPhoto and now it's time to switch everything over to Lightroom. As the iPhoto library cannot be accessed directly i'm copying all the 'events' (folders) one by one. I've noticed something odd with the numbering system of all my images when listed by the operating system (OSX Mountain Lion). Some of these folders have up to 600 images in them and contain no issues, however there are several folders where several images share the same number.

Here's a screenshot of a portion of a large folder with just one reused number (P6200100 2), note that it is not a duplicate created by myself as it has a " 2" and not an underscore "_2".

Here's a more problematical folder with up to 4 images sharing the same number. It has the added annoyance as it has dragged all the images out of chronological order.

I don't get what's going on here, is there something i've been doing wrong, or is there a gremlin residing in my camera? All thoughts appreciated.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/122278067@N06/
Old 24th August 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: OM-D problem?

Hi bredman

Is it possible that you have the file name setting on the OMD set as "Reset"? The E-M5 user manual notes the following:
Quote:
File Name

[Auto]: Even when a new card is inserted, the file numbers
are retained from the previous card. File numbering
continues from the last number used or from the highest
number available on the card.

[Reset]: When you insert a new card, the folder numbers
starts at 100 and the file name starts at 0001. If a card
containing images is inserted, the file numbers start at the
number following the highest file number on the card.
This is under Menu Option "H" with the little gear symbol.

I don't know about Apples, but in Windows if a file gets transferred to the Hard Drive from another source (e.g. Camera) where the same file name already exists then Windows will create the new file with a number in brackets after the original filename. For example, if the file "P6160043.jpg" exists and the same file name is on the camera, on transfer, Windows will add the file as "P6160043 (1).jpg" or similar.

This could be happening on your drive as the Operating System preserves the original file i.e. it doesn't overwrite the one already on the disk with the new file that has the same name. I know in Lightroom you can bulk rename files so that they have a custom name followed by a sequence. Otherwise you could try to sort in Created/Modified date rather than file name to get them in correct sequence.

Does this help?

Regards

Colin
The Following User Says Thank You to Happammee For This Useful Post:
bredman (24th August 2013)
Old 24th August 2013

Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts

Pete

I remember having a similar problem when I first got the camera. At that time I hadn't switch over to a custom filenaming in the camera (as me and other half have camera normally have first three digits as initials so know which camera file has come from). Since then I've not noticed a problem.

Might be worth going and customing the file name in your camera too. I assume its a little bug that does allow enough file number variants before it restarts.

Simon
The Following User Says Thank You to The Saint For This Useful Post:
bredman (24th August 2013)
Old 24th August 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
Pete

I remember having a similar problem when I first got the camera. At that time I hadn't switch over to a custom filenaming in the camera (as me and other half have camera normally have first three digits as initials so know which camera file has come from). Since then I've not noticed a problem.

Might be worth going and customing the file name in your camera too.
Thanks a lot Simon. Done. .

Old 24th August 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happammee View Post
Hi bredman

Is it possible that you have the file name setting on the OMD set as "Reset"? The E-M5 user manual notes the following:

This is under Menu Option "H" with the little gear symbol.
Colin - many thanks, this was indeed the issue . All new to me, but every time i imported the images to the Mac the camera was resetting . I don't remember ever changing it so i assume it must be the default.

I'm going to have dozens of images with the same number scattered across folders/events.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happammee View Post
Otherwise you could try to sort in Created/Modified date rather than file name to get them in correct sequence.
I hope this can be done and will look into it as it is the main issue.

Old 25th August 2013

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bredman View Post
Colin - many thanks, this was indeed the issue . All new to me, but every time i imported the images to the Mac the camera was resetting . I don't remember ever changing it so i assume it must be the default.

I'm going to have dozens of images with the same number scattered across folders/events.

I hope this can be done and will look into it as it is the main issue.
Indeed my OMD was originally factory set to "Reset" for file naming, but as I do not use the original file names anyway as they are less than useless it made no difference to me.

1- If you import them into Lightroom using the same folder set up then duplicates should not be a problem as long as they are in different folders.

2- Better still if you use LR to Copy them to a new folder/location then you can set the rename option on importing then duplicates will not be a problem.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/