Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Motion pictures - video and animation > Movie mode - technical discussions

Movie mode - technical discussions Still imaging is complicated enough but for most of us video and movie making is a whole new world to get to grips with - here is the place to request help and advice and to post it too.

Old 16th December 2013

Liked 2,405 Times in 1,585 Posts
Viewing *.MOV Files from OMD-EM5

I have been using the video mode on my E5 for the past two years, and have never experienced any problems replaying my videos. However, I have just tried to view some videos taken recently on my OMD-EM5 and have drawn a blank.

To explain, I am using Windows 7 64 bit, which is fairly recent. Windows Media Player refuses to play the videos reporting that it doesn't have the correct Codec. So I thought I would try Olympus Viewer 3.

I could see the video file previews in Viewer, but when I clicked on the thumbnails I saw a message advising that I needed to connect an Olympus camera with movie function (just once) for the video replay to work.

I tried this with both my E5 and EM5, so it now opens Windows Media Player, which reports that it doesn't have the correct Codec!

I can view the files on my Windows 8 laptop, but I am then connected to Microsoft's game download site, which I have to close before I can watch another video file.

Finally, I have tried to view my files in Photoshop CS6, but it reports that my videos are 'the wrong files'.

Any ideas?

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 16th December 2013

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts
Re: Viewing *.MOV Files from OMD-EM5

Download Quick Time it will play them.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/
The Following User Says Thank You to OlyPaul For This Useful Post:
Naughty Nigel (16th December 2013)
Old 16th December 2013
mike_j

Or try VLC. It plays almost everything and doesn't try to take over your computer.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Naughty Nigel (16th December 2013)
Old 16th December 2013

Liked 2,405 Times in 1,585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyPaul View Post
Download Quick Time it will play them.
Thank you. I have always declined Apple's offer to install QuickTime, so I will give that a try.

The VLC media player is one that I have used before on Xp machines. Maybe I should try it again. I doubt that it would need updating as often as Apple's software.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 17th December 2013

Thanked 1,339 Times in 1,044 Posts
Liked 2,182 Times in 1,164 Posts

With using Win7 (or 8), the video files are still defaulting to Windows Media player & to make those .MOV files open in OV3 (after doing that initial camera connection), right click on the file (icon, thumbnail in Windows Explore file browser), hover mouse over Open with & (left) click on Choose default program... & then select OV3 (you might need to search 'Programs files' & the OV3 program folder & find the EXE file to make this happen), ticking the 'always use this program' option & it will then default to OV3. On the other hand....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_j View Post
Or try VLC. It plays almost everything and doesn't try to take over your computer.
Yes, that is the best I have found too & it doesn't limit the audio output either (with plenty of extra level output available).

Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).