Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds

Micro Four Thirds Discuss the newly announced Micro Four Thirds addition to the Four Thirds system family here.

Old 26th January 2013

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Advice on Formula 1 and OM-D

Hi, I have an OM-D and will be going to the silverstone in general admission in June so plenty of time to plan, im wondering if anyone has had expereince with the OMD in Motorsport environment and what tips they could provide for the OMD. I dont really want to be buying another camera for three days but the option is there.

Thanks guys
Raj

p.s my lenses are Oly 12-50, Panny 100-300, Oly 45 1.8, PL 25 1.4
Old 26th January 2013

Liked 584 Times in 260 Posts
Re: Advice on Formula 1 and OM-D

Hi Raj,

We took our OM-Ds to Monaco last year, mine with a hired Oly 75-300mm (I was sorry to post it back) and my husband with the Pany 100-300mm. There are some shots with both combinations in my gallery (I can't upload any images as I keep getting an error message).

Anyway, both worked fine (I just prefer the Oly lens).

The main advice I would give you would be to keep an eye on the shutter speed and keep it as high as possible. I used shutter priority and had a higher percentage of sharp shots than my husband when he used aperture priority. We were lucky as there was plenty of light, but at times still used a highish ISO. Also, be aware that the silver cars of McLaren and Mercedes were harder to get good results as there is less contrast for the camera to work with.

Depending on where you go at Silverstone you will generally find it hard to avoid the safety fencing. Club corner and Bridge weren't too bad as there are some places where you are high enough to stand further back and clear the fence. If you are there on Friday this shouldn't be too bad but will be more challenging on Saturday and Sunday. Becketts is an awesome place just to soak up the cars.

Hope you have a good time and enjoy it!

Amanda
The Following User Says Thank You to Mrs T For This Useful Post:
raj (26th January 2013)
Old 26th January 2013

Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts

Raj

I've not shot motorsport with the OM-D yet, so can't help you there.

I'm not sure if the auto focusing will be quick enough, although you could switch to manual and pre-focus on a certain spot. I've done that in the pass with a PEN quite successfully.

Rather than buying a camera you could always hire an E-5 or similar from the forum (would be a lot cheaper and it's a service that is excellent for these types of special events).

From my last visit to Silverstone I was shooting with an E-3 with the 50-200 (sometime with the EC14 as well). So hopefully that gives you an idea on the length of tele lens. So if you do go with the panny 100-300 that should give you the right range.

Silverstone is a flat circuit (not surprisingly considering it's an old airfield) and what I have found in the past is you get a limited view eg. only the corner/section your standing at (unlike Brand Hatch where there are certain spots where you can see near all the Indy circuit).

Not that I've been to the F1 (only minor events), but the atmosphere and noise you will also want to capture, that is something that doesn't come over on the TV. So remember a wider angle lens to capture the crowds and other details of the day. Maybe a little practice on the movie mode too.

I'm not sure what past experience you have shooting motorsport, but if you have not had much/any it could be worth attending a minor race meet somewhere in advance to hone your skills. Can normally find something for 10-20, it took me a while to get my panning skills down to a tee with a slow enough shutter speed to get a nice blurred background and crisp car.

I know there are some very experienced motorsport photographers on the forum and I'm sure they can give you some other tips.

Simon
The Following User Says Thank You to The Saint For This Useful Post:
raj (26th January 2013)
Old 26th January 2013

Liked 1,281 Times in 728 Posts

I thoroughly recommend going to a minor motorsports event to try the kit out, although the particular issues at Silverstone (long distances, catch fencing in the way etc) are hard to find elsewhere at smaller venues. Unfortunately you can't alter the focus sensitivity of the OM-D to ignore fencing stanchions and roof pillars in the stands, so it's helpful to get some experience of how the camera will react before you get to your F1 seat.

Karting's cheap to attend, and fun

I've found the OM-D plus 40-150 to follow-focus better than the 100-300 if you can get close enough: single-spot CAF is pretty good, but if you want multi spot tracking that works you need to buy a D300 Nikon!

On the inside of Maggotts curve you can get closer to F1 cars at speed than almost anywhere else on the calendar - it's a good place to watch on Friday or Saturday practice, or even during GP2. You get a real impression of the violence of cornering as they clip the kerb, and you can watch the top teams dialling out oversteer as the sessions progress. It's not a good place for photography because there's a lot of fencing in the way.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drmarkf For This Useful Post:
adye1964 (3rd February 2013), raj (28th January 2013)
Old 3rd February 2013

Liked 704 Times in 373 Posts

You should not have any trouble using the E-m5. I got this with the E-m5.

I used the Panny 45-200 lens. this is taken at 140mm

@ 200mm

I am not good at my follow through.

All my garbage so far.
The Following User Says Thank You to blu-by-u For This Useful Post:
raj (3rd February 2013)
Old 3rd February 2013

Liked 39 Times in 32 Posts

Hi if you end up with a lot of clutter in front of you, you could prefocus at a point where you want to take the car in, then switch to manual focus and set to 4-6 fps and shoot as the car comes through the zone that you pre focused on.
Remember to follow through keeping the car in a steady constant position in the view finder, and fire a way, that's what the pros used todo before Auto focus, and you should get about 60-70% keepers.

Dave
adye1964 (3rd February 2013), raj (3rd February 2013)
Old 3rd February 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There are some view points at Silverstone that are better than others for amateur photography. Notable ones....? Outside of Luffield (I think) on the terrace, there's a small window in the debris fence toward the entry to Copse, some of the stands overlooking the Becketts complex look promising..... The banking on the outside of the track up at the exit of Stowe can be ok from some angles. There's an enclosure on the bank on the outside of the entry to Club that's been pretty kind to me too.....
examples here..... all taken with Olympus E450 and Olympus Zuiko 18-180mm..... http://www.flickr.com/photos/pulpquango/
The Following User Says Thank You to adye1964 For This Useful Post:
raj (3rd February 2013)
Old 3rd February 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveart View Post
Hi if you end up with a lot of clutter in front of you, you could prefocus at a point where you want to take the car in, then switch to manual focus and set to 4-6 fps and shoot as the car comes through the zone that you pre focused on.
Remember to follow through keeping the car in a steady constant position in the view finder, and fire a way, that's what the pros used todo before Auto focus, and you should get about 60-70% keepers.

Dave
Good advice. As a guy with an artificial hip I always find it takes me a few minutes to "warm up" and pan smoothly. Not knowing anything about the OM-D you might want to have mess with any IS too..... Otherwise you risk it interacting with your panning action.
raj (3rd February 2013)
Old 3rd February 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
I thoroughly recommend going to a minor motorsports event to try the kit out......

On the inside of Maggotts curve you can get closer to F1 cars at speed than almost anywhere else on the calendar - it's a good place to watch on Friday or Saturday practice, or even during GP2. You get a real impression of the violence of cornering as they clip the kerb, and you can watch the top teams dialling out oversteer as the sessions progress. It's not a good place for photography because there's a lot of fencing in the way.
Both are excellent advice. Definitely go to another event first. By the way the opportunities for good photography without fencing in the way are probably best at Oulton Park.

I don't do GP's but the Le Mans proto's are at their best out at Becketts.
raj (3rd February 2013)
Old 3rd February 2013

If you REALLY want to get close, of course, find a place on the inside of the Parabolica at Monza - that's a real test of your panning skills

Too much Oly gear.
Old 4th February 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I found my OM-D pretty poor for high speed action, the AF is far too slow. It will take a good shot but its very hit and miss ( More miss than hit). Have now changed to a Canon 7D and now 7 out of 10 will be totaly in focus.
Old 4th February 2013

Liked 888 Times in 311 Posts

I know it's not motor sport but I managed to get acceptable results (to me) with the Panny 100-300 at Airshow in the summer.
Have a look here.
Some slower aircraft and some pretty quick, I didn't use continuous tracking but S-AF, I found this rapid enough to get the job done.

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 4th February 2013

Liked 704 Times in 373 Posts

You can also set the EVF's to HIGH. The default is Normal.

Spanner/Built in EVF/Frame rate/High.

All my garbage so far.
Old 4th February 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBoo View Post
I found my OM-D pretty poor for high speed action, the AF is far too slow.
Interesting.
I find that's true for tracking autofocus, which is quite helpful for some types of street photography but is lousy for anything faster, but single-spot CAF gives the processor less to do and I don't find it bad at all for motorsports.

Too much Oly gear.
Old 4th February 2013

Liked 888 Times in 311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
Interesting.
I find that's true for tracking autofocus, which is quite helpful for some types of street photography but is lousy for anything faster, but single-spot CAF gives the processor less to do and I don't find it bad at all for motorsports.
I agree, that's my experience too, at least with fast moving aircraft.

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr