Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 11th July 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A novice "attempt" at some flowers

Took the kids to the park this afternoon, got caught in a storm and spent 15 minutes under a bandstand until the sun came out again.

Took these with my new E510 + 14-42 at full telephoto just to see if I could get reasonable close ups using the lens.

These were the best of the bunch although I appreciate that technically they may not be that good, busy backgrounds, composition etc.

Would value any comments or advice as I really am a novice to photography having only owned a camera since Nov 07.

Think my next lens will be a macro lens as I do enjoy taking this type of shot, so any advice on a good macro lens would be appreciated too.

Thanks.

Old 11th July 2008

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Re: A novice "attempt" at some flowers

Nice and sharp with a good kick to the colours on the 2'nd and 3'rd. Nothing wrong with the Rose except that it is just, well, a Rose and they often make the most unsatisfying of subjects.

Water droplets are nice and crisp. I wouldn't worry about dof as you've cleverly caught these against relatively unobtrusive backgrounds.

Composition, well you were trying out the lens so you probably weren't really thinking about that, not much can be done with the Rose except a fairly tight crop. The second one I might try for a square crop around the flowers and including the hanging buds.

The third one, well that has got lovely detail with the flowers pointing in different directions, the bud and what I guess are the older heads. But you've got a bit from another flower and bits are distracting, so I'd either think of cropping it out or cloning over it (and then just cropping to balance).

Nice set.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 11th July 2008

Liked 90 Times in 39 Posts

Those are very good for early attempts. The water droplets on the rose are great and the dark background in the third shot really makes the blooms stand out

Busy backgrounds can be a problem and, if they can't be avoided by changing your viewpoint, the best weapon against them is lens aperture. The wider the aperture (smaller f-number), the shallower your depth of field; use this to throw the background out of focus. Set the camera to aperture priority mode and select the widest aperture possible and take a shot. Check to see if all of your main subject is in focus; if not, reduce the aperture a bit, rinse and repeat

Bear in mind that depth of field diminishes the closer you focus and also diminishes as focal length increases. Test this by focussing on something close at 42mm (I'm guessing you have the standard kit zoom) then zoom out to 14mm and watch objects in front of and behind the subject gradually come into focus.

The composition of the first two shots is fine, the backgrounds are OOF enough not to be too distracting. In the third you might have been able to get more dark background behind the blooms my moving to the left and up a bit.

Macro lenses: I don't have either of the ZD macro lenses, all of mine are legacy OM parts but the ZD 50mm f/2.0 is a star performer judging by some of the posts here. However, don't dismiss the ZD 35mm f/3.5 in the Standard range. It is not weather-sealed but it focusses to 1:1 (life-size) magnification whereas the 50mm only goes to 1:2 and it also produces cracking results.

Keep on with the macro work, you have got some nice shots here and you don't have to go on safari to the Serengeti to access a huge range of subjects

Cheers,

JohnGG
Old 12th July 2008

Liked 855 Times in 282 Posts

I like them all. Good colours and the rain shower certainly helped your images.

Regards. Barr1e
Old 12th July 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank you for the replies and advice.

These were taken quite quickly yesterday as I had the kids with me who were getting bored after sheltering from the rain.

I will certainly take you comments on board and continue to practice.
Old 12th July 2008

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts

Very nice, its always suprising what the kit lens is capable off.
My favourite is the second one with the crop Nick suggested.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/
Old 12th July 2008
fulhamphil

Hi Bully74UK, seeing that you've only been doing photography for only a few months you seem to be learning pretty fast, keep it up. I myself have only been photographing for 2 years, yet still describe myself as a novice, there is so much to learn. As for the macro lens the zuiko 35mm has had pretty ood reviews and is modestly priced.
Old 12th July 2008
Administrator

Liked 1,602 Times in 925 Posts

Having spent years being moaned at by Kids & Wife for spending anything more than the 1/250s it takes to get an exposure, I think these are of credit to you. I agree with all the above comments so no point in adding my own, other than to say if you are going to do flowers, they have to be "perfect" specimens, or have an insect on.

Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 12th July 2008

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
Having spent years being moaned at by Kids & Wife for spending anything more than the 1/250s it takes to get an exposure, I think these are of credit to you. I agree with all the above comments so no point in adding my own, other than to say if you are going to do flowers, they have to be "perfect" specimens, or have an insect on.

Graham

Not sure I agree about perfection, (though a nice perfect specimen can make a very strong image). Autumn can be a great time to photograph Roses as the touch of decay can add a poignancy to a flower image.

Anyway this one was shot in Swindon Old Town Gardens last year, E-500, 50-200, Master, The GIMP. I hope it is good enough to make my point

As for insects, well I often carry a soft brush to encourage them away, they can be so distracting to an image

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 12th July 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I like this flowerpicture, the raindrops make the picture more intresting, thats wy I allways bring a small spraybottle with water in my camerabag. I little cheating sometimes
Old 14th July 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Temple-Fry View Post
Not sure I agree about perfection, (though a nice perfect specimen can make a very strong image). Autumn can be a great time to photograph Roses as the touch of decay can add a poignancy to a flower image.

Anyway this one was shot in Swindon Old Town Gardens last year, E-500, 50-200, Master, The GIMP. I hope it is good enough to make my point

As for insects, well I often carry a soft brush to encourage them away, they can be so distracting to an image
Mine were also taken at the Old Town Gardens Nick.
My daughter loves going there to feeed the squirrels.
Old 14th July 2008

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bully74uk View Post
Mine were also taken at the Old Town Gardens Nick.
My daughter loves going there to feeed the squirrels.
I guessed so from the description, not a bad location, although a bit dark in places with the mature trees and the fact it was originally a quarry.

And of course the squirrels are so tame, and well fed, they just beg to be photographed.

Nick

www.temple-fry.co.uk