Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 11th September 2012

Liked 35 Times in 27 Posts
Re: What do you or do not miss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer View Post
Phrases; for Tube read Eejit.
In the Doric from furry boots country;
'Fit like, Loon (or Quine).'
'Fit like yersel'.'
'Fits it daein'.
'Nae sae bad'.
'Furry boots are ye frae?'
'Ah'm fae Foggie Loan.'

or
'Hello young man (or girl).'
'Hello yourself.'
'How are you doing.'
'Not bad.'
'Where are you from?'
'Aberchirder.'

And from Dundee;
'Ah'll heh a peh an ingin' in an' a'.'
'I'll have a pie and an onion one too.'

For pies; a Rhubarb Cumnock without sugar. Joy unconfined.
And I spend half my life rating fruit scones (as in 'on' not the effete English 'own'), butter and jam in cafes, etc. No cream that's another affectation.
Did you write for the "Broons and Oor Wullie"
Old 11th September 2012

Liked 57 Times in 36 Posts

Quote:
Did you write for the "Broons and Oor Wullie"
No but I used to go cycling with a guy who drew Desperate Dan.

I seem to have an ear for local dialects.

In the Borders, the Braw Lads fae Galashiels count; yin, twe, three, fower... but the Teries fae Hawick call them Pailmerks.

Lots of toys.
Old 11th September 2012

Liked 112 Times in 67 Posts

Best local accents here are Langholm and Gretna. Night and day and only 15 miles apart it is completely crazy
kidslateinlife (12th September 2012)
Old 11th September 2012
Loving my E1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

One of the things i miss the most is the George and gales brewery in horndean. HSB is just not the same by Fullers.
Old 11th September 2012

Liked 1,323 Times in 796 Posts

Proper fish and chips.

Bitter

Hob Nobs

David M's Photoblog
Old 11th September 2012

Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidslateinlife;186961[COLOR="Blue"
]I'm a tea totaller, alcohol is the the work of the devil[/COLOR] with stovies, I bet they have some fantastic pronunciations up there, and I have not called anyone a tube for 30 years.... must try tomorrow

Did William Shakespeare really say that about jpegs ???
...and Pork Pies...YUK.

Miss the thick thick thick Bread pudding done "fresh" each day in the greasy spoon transport cafe round the corner from where I used to work in Birmingham.
Factory and cafe both no more.
Sos and Tom sarnies with big mug of tea as well...all prepared without taking the fag out of the mouth....

Keith

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68459774@N05

E500,E510 now dead,E520 (now retired),E600 and Grip,14-42,14-45,2x40-150,Sigmas 105 and 135-400 Now Dead..ex 25. Manfrotto 190. Plus lots of OM stuff.
Now also 4 items from the dark side...........
The Following User Says Thank You to ringneck For This Useful Post:
Old 11th September 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, I miss my youth in america when I was so lean I had ta stand up twice to make a shadder, lived on slumgullion, hog jowls (prounounced johls) with blackeyed peas and collard greens, and cat heads and easy diggins with a mug of high and dry for breakfast. At school I was independent as a hog on ice, and, if you wanted to mess with me, you needed first to go out by the bike racks and practice falling down awhile. My first job description was ďIf it is the heavy end, lift it. If it the dumb end, hold it.Ē In my twenties I was just a skosh wild and when Friday night came round I ran five counties in the moonlight and was home when the last hootowl shift whistle blew. Life was hunkydory and, if you didnít cotton to it you could just leave Ďer lay where Jesus flang her, you miserable little piece of peckerwood. These days Iím not only a mossback but a silverback and tell tales of things that happened clear back when jesus christ was ordínary seaman on the ark to kids who donít have the least understanding of good, plain oldfashioned american english.

John
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JohnI For This Useful Post:
kidslateinlife (12th September 2012), StephenL (12th September 2012), Stewart G (12th September 2012)
Old 12th September 2012

Liked 1,323 Times in 796 Posts

European Robins

Common Kingfishers

Common Blackbirds

Mountain Bluebirds

Wilson's Phalaropes

David M's Photoblog
Old 12th September 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,504 Times in 2,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seonnaidh View Post

I'm currently on a Gaelic language course, this is where it gets really difficult.
When I was into Munro bagging I gave up trying to correctly pronounce the names of hills. Ben Nevis was quite straightforward and The Grey Corries self explanatory, but Meall na Teanga became "Meal in a Trangia," Sgor na h-Ulaidh became "Scare the Ladies" and the Bhasteir Tooth was affectionately known as ..... well, you get the idea!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there ó even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 12th September 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,504 Times in 2,141 Posts

I miss leaving work at 5.00pm prompt on a Friday afternoon, getting straight in the car which was already packed with weekend camping gear, collecting my mates, filling up with petrol at 38p per litre, stopping at a long-gone greasy spoon near Grantham for a fry-up of toxic proportions and arriving at the Brotherwater Inn in time for last orders, which was neccesary preparation for pitching the tent in the dark, in the rain on a muddy excuse for a campsite.

I miss the freeze-dried "Raven" backpacking meals we had in those days. We used to joke that the cardboard packaginng tasted better and was probably more nutritious! I remember a friend once getting clever and bringing what he thought was a boil in the bag meal, only to discover when he read the instructions that it was "Heat in the oven for 20 minutes at gas mark 6." There wasn't an oven within miles!

I miss my friend on a Saturday evening, taking the cap off a new bottle of whisky and throwing it over his shoulder, saying "We won't be needing that again."

I miss the long drive home on a Sunday evening, eyes propped open with matchsticks, tired but happy and smelling like a wet dog. I miss struggling into work on Monday morning and coasting the day like a zombie, as you could back then. I miss sitting down with a map and a malt on Monday evening to plan the next weekend.

I miss the solo trips when I didn't bother to pitch a tent on arrival, as the planned dawn start was only a few hours away. I miss dropping the back seats in my Vauxhall Cavalier to make almost enough space to lay out diagonally or simply wriggling into my bivi bag on some comfortable rocks beside the car.

I miss lingering on the hills at the end of the day, long after most others have returned to the valley, before pitching my tent at a secluded tarn. I miss being on the summits before dawn simply to watch the sunrise, or gain a head start on a long day. I miss tentatively descending to the valley by the light of my head torch or a full moon.

I miss sunbathing on the summit for an hour on a hot, lazy day or screaming in defiance at the wind as it lacerates my face with horizontally driven ice particles. I miss the solitude of the hills, the feeling of belonging to them, becoming attuned to my environment and spiritual home. I simply miss the hills in every sense that is possible.

I would gladly trade my remaining days, however many that might be, for just one more perfect day in the hills. It would be the middle of May, before the midges were out, a warm but not hot day with a gentle, cooling breeze. The sky would be that fresh blue, which often follows overnight rain and there would be plenty of clouds to cast dappled shadows across the land. I would chose to traverse An Teallach and would gain the first summit almost effortlessly, as I once could. Then I would follow the crest of the ridge, moving as confidently and sure-footed as I once did, exhilerated by the exposure and scrambling. What a day that would be, a day to end all days on what, had everything gone to plan, would have eventually been my last two Munros.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there ó even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following User Says Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
Old 12th September 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer View Post
No but I used to go cycling with a guy who drew Desperate Dan..
I am fairly sure (may'be another of my mothers myths, she is prone to a few tall tales, like her claim that I was born twice) that my dad was offered that job sometime in the early 70's.
Old 12th September 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Proper fish and chips.
Best fish and chips are in RYE... east sussex
Old 12th September 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringneck View Post
big mug of tea as well...all prepared without taking the fag out of the mouth....

Keith
I know her....she worked in the Hastings greasy spoon......

"One with beans"
Old 12th September 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnI View Post
Well, I miss my youth in america when I was so lean I had ta stand up twice to make a shadder, lived on slumgullion, hog jowls (prounounced johls) with blackeyed peas and collard greens, and cat heads and easy diggins with a mug of high and dry for breakfast. At school I was independent as a hog on ice, and, if you wanted to mess with me, you needed first to go out by the bike racks and practice falling down awhile. My first job description was ďIf it is the heavy end, lift it. If it the dumb end, hold it.Ē In my twenties I was just a skosh wild and when Friday night came round I ran five counties in the moonlight and was home when the last hootowl shift whistle blew. Life was hunkydory and, if you didnít cotton to it you could just leave Ďer lay where Jesus flang her, you miserable little piece of peckerwood. These days Iím not only a mossback but a silverback and tell tales of things that happened clear back when jesus christ was ordínary seaman on the ark to kids who donít have the least understanding of good, plain oldfashioned american english.

John
Haha...... we could'nt afford bikes back then, we used to take our cows to school, and meet behind the cow sheds.
Old 12th September 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
European Robins

Common Kingfishers

Common Blackbirds

Mountain Bluebirds

Wilson's Phalaropes
Miss seeing wild barn owls, but then I don't have a barn now.