Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 5th September 2012
Floribunda

Bluebird of Happiness

Well - sort of.
This bird did make me very happy indeed.
We were walking in a garden and I was photographing flowers, when this bird jumped onto the birdbath very close to us and I snatched a shot. Had the 14-42mm lens on, so this was the best I could do, but I am hoping Ross will confirm that it is a Satin Bowerbird.
A real treat for us southerners if so.

Old 5th September 2012

Thanked 1,544 Times in 1,495 Posts
Liked 4,383 Times in 1,981 Posts
Re: Bluebird of Happiness

I'd be worried if I were the fish, I'd say it's in shallow trouble, Lyn.

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill
Old 5th September 2012

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Great capture - especially the detail of face/beak and a catchlight inthe eye woweee BiF next
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 5th September 2012

Thanked 1,341 Times in 1,046 Posts
Liked 2,196 Times in 1,167 Posts

That is a lovely capture of the male Satin Bowerbird (Ptilonorhynchus violaceus).

We had a male in our yard eating the chook's pellets but he took off when he saw me & not to steal your thunder, but to show the female (assuming it's not a juvenile male) for others seeing this thread, here is the female that came shortly afterwards (as posted in this thread).

Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 5th September 2012
Floribunda

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandora View Post
I'd be worried if I were the fish, I'd say it's in shallow trouble, Lyn.
Hi Mark - you always say you don't notice detail, but I am gob-smacked!
Neither Neil or I noticed the fish - at the time - or when I processed the photo! other shots confirm it is a fish!
The bird had a great bath with much splashing - showed no interest in the fish at all.
Who on earth would put a goldfish in a birdbath!
I wish I had noticed at the time!
Old 5th September 2012
Floribunda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
That is a lovely capture of the male Satin Bowerbird (Ptilonorhynchus violaceus).

We had a male in our yard eating the chook's pellets but he took off when he saw me & not to steal your thunder, but to show the female (assuming it's not a juvenile male) for others seeing this thread, here is the female that came shortly afterwards (as posted in this thread).

Thanks Chevvy - it was a really quick snap, I was scared we would spook him. I was so surprised when he appeared I am amazed the photo came out at all!

Ross - thanks for the confirmation. I looked him up and thought he was the male bowerbird. The book told me bowerbirds are dimorphic (I had to look that up too! ) we didn't see the female at all, but I am thrilled to have captured this one.
Is this the bowerbird that collects blue objects? My book says there are several types.
Old 5th September 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floribunda View Post
Ross - thanks for the confirmation. I looked him up and thought he was the male bowerbird. The book told me bowerbirds are dimorphic (I had to look that up too! ) we didn't see the female at all, but I am thrilled to have captured this one.
Is this the bowerbird that collects blue objects? My book says there are several types.
Yes (I think so) & we find blue pegs dropped here & there around our place on the odd occasion, but I've never found the bower (might be in the part of backyard of the neighbours place that doesn't get disturbed). We get lots of female & juvenile birds here (it's a bit hard to tell them apart) & it is only occasional that we see the male. They love the fruit from the Lilly Pilly (as well as our chook pellets) & some insects, but I doubt they'd be interested in fish. Leave that to the Kookaburras.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Old 6th September 2012
Floribunda

Quote:
Yes (I think so) & we find blue pegs dropped here & there around our place on the odd occasion, but I've never found the bower (might be in the part of backyard of the neighbours place that doesn't get disturbed). We get lots of female & juvenile birds here (it's a bit hard to tell them apart) & it is only occasional that we see the male. They love the fruit from the Lilly Pilly (as well as our chook pellets) & some insects, but I doubt they'd be interested in fish. Leave that to the Kookaburras.
On reflection (and much enlarging of photos) I don't think it is a fish at all. Probably one of the orange leaves fallen into the bath. No fish could survive in that shallow water. Hope it was a leaf as he had a very vigorous bath and fish would have been flicked out.
Someone told me Ross, that the males don't get that gorgeous blue/black colour until they are 7 years old and the plumage is really dark black and looks blue due to the way the light hits the feathers. You are so lucky to have them around.
Old 8th September 2012

Quote:
On reflection (and much enlarging of photos) I don't think it is a fish at all. Probably one of the orange leaves fallen into the bath. No fish could survive in that shallow water. Hope it was a leaf as he had a very vigorous bath and fish would have been flicked out.
Someone told me Ross, that the males don't get that gorgeous blue/black colour until they are 7 years old and the plumage is really dark black and looks blue due to the way the light hits the feathers. You are so lucky to have them around.
I didn't think a fish would survive long unprotected & in that shallow water either. I could believe that for the males. I don't know (or haven't found out yet) how long it takes for the black to take over with the males.
Old 8th September 2012
Floribunda

Quote:
I didn't think a fish would survive long unprotected & in that shallow water either. I could believe that for the males. I don't know (or haven't found out yet) how long it takes for the black to take over with the males.
Hi Ross - you may have already read this, but it mentions the colour and the longevity of the bird. They really are fascinating.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satin_B...aders_digest-0
Old 8th September 2012

Quote:
Hi Ross - you may have already read this, but it mentions the colour and the longevity of the bird. They really are fascinating.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satin_B...aders_digest-0
Thanks Lyn. I might be good at providing links but not so good at reading it all. They are long livers then & the males take a long time to grow up, unlike us.
Old 8th September 2012

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 798 Times in 467 Posts

Quote:
What a shame. I thought you'd captured the rare Australian "leaping goldfish" Carassius australis leapii

Regards.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.