Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Telephoto

Telephoto Lenses with focal lengths longer than 60mm.

Old 1st December 2007
Yorkie

Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Yorkie
70-300 problem?

Hi All,

Just been out with the 70-300 lens. As you can see it was dusk and I was using the on camera flash for fill. Notice the reflection in the lens of the reflective strip on Harrys jacket?

I have never had this on any other lens. Do you think it is normal and my error or a possible lens issue?

Thanks

OMD EM-1 MkII, 40-150mm Pro, 12-40mm Pro, 75-300mm, Oly 60mm f2.8 Macro, Oly 45mm, FL-50R, Manfrotto 190XPro/Mag Head

Gallery and web site at: http://harphoto.smugmug.com/
Old 1st December 2007
Administrator

Thanked 2,546 Times in 1,280 Posts
Liked 1,758 Times in 793 Posts
Re: 70-300 problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie View Post
Hi All,

Just been out with the 70-300 lens. As you can see it was dusk and I was using the on camera flash for fill. Notice the reflection in the lens of the reflective strip on Harrys jacket?

I have never had this on any other lens. Do you think it is normal and my error or a possible lens issue?

Thanks
Not sure what you mean, Yorkie? It looks like the jacket has a high-reflectivity strip that has been picked up by your flash - seems quite normal to me?

The shots are under exposed, possibly because the strip brightness is biasing the metering.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 1st December 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is quite common with highly reflective materials. It isn't a fault in the lens.
Ian C.
Old 1st December 2007
Yorkie

Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Yorkie

Hi

Sorry I should have explained myself a bit better.

These are shots I would normally bin as they are under exposed and the flash reflection does them no good; however I noticed that the flash reflection is mirrored on the photos.

On the landscape one the reflection is accross his waist while on the portrait it is over his head.

This I do not think is normal.

Chears,

OMD EM-1 MkII, 40-150mm Pro, 12-40mm Pro, 75-300mm, Oly 60mm f2.8 Macro, Oly 45mm, FL-50R, Manfrotto 190XPro/Mag Head

Gallery and web site at: http://harphoto.smugmug.com/
Old 1st December 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I see what you mean, you realy need to view it full size to see it, I didn't notice at first. No idea what it is or why it happened though. Possibly caused by the in-built flash not being powerful enough to use with a lens of that focal length, effectively 140mm -600mm, not normally a focal length you'd use with in-built flash I would have thought. I could be totally wrong though.
Old 1st December 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Now I see it. My guess and it is just a guess is it is some kind of internal reflection caused because of the huge difference in light between the reflective strip and the rest of the picture. The reflective strip is almost acting as a light source would do. I doubt in normal situations if you would ever get this type of effect and doubt if it is a fault in the lens but obviously the thing to do is try the lens in more normal situations.

Ian C.
Old 2nd December 2007

Liked 83 Times in 48 Posts

Did you have a filter on the lens e.g. a UV filter? Wonder if it some reflection bouncing between the filter and the lens front element.
Old 2nd December 2007
dlinney

Ghosting of very bright highlights is quite common but doesn't typically show up so obviously unless there are dark areas where the ghost image then stands out. Most lenses have it to some extent BUT it is definitely made worse by use of filters. I always shoot without a filter when taking night scenes for this very reason.