Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 2nd January 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New Laptop Help

Hi All
Happy New Year

I would like some help in choosing a new laptop for my
photo developing, most of my photos are in raw.

What is everyone using Windows or Mac?

Any recommendations on processors, graphic card Etc.

I have around 800 - 1000 (an inheritance) to spend but less would be better!

Cheers
Andy
Old 2nd January 2012

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts
Re: New Laptop Help

If Windows PC go for Win 7 (its so much neater and faster) and 8Gb RAM - Argos have a nice Toshiba Laptop at 400 ? in their sale now !

Mac I LURVE ... but I got a laptop and desktop for the price of one Apple
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 2nd January 2012
Topsyrm

Dunno myself, I use a PC but use it for allsorts of other computing. The Pro's all seem to use Macs and Mac-books? for travelling. If I mostly wanted the image processing I think I would follow the Pro lead and go Mac.
Old 2nd January 2012

Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts

I'd get desktop with a big screen unless the portability was an absolute must.
Old 2nd January 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Get a Laptop running Windows 7 (84bit preferably ) with 8Gb Ram.
You can get a MAC but whatever you get will be fairly obselete within 3/4 years - so you have to think of the cost over the period,unless your work specifically requires that you need a MAC.

I purchased a HP Laptoop with 4Gb/500Gb memory and it does everything I want running CS5 and the laptop cost just over 450 ; and the price within 5 months has alraedy gone sub 400 - so unless you really want to splash out go for the Windows Laptop

People may not remember exactly what you did, or what you said, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
Old 2nd January 2012

Apple has a most amazing User Interface :@) which appeals to no IT/non Techie Peeps ... Apple design FOR GRAPHICS ... but as the software now works for PC's too I stick with Toshiba Laptop and anything desktop from Novatech and can rebuild in my "box" each year with Barebones or single components

the ONE photo album
Old 2nd January 2012

Liked 542 Times in 380 Posts

I would have stayed out of this discussion while the 'dozers tell each other how there is no other way than the Gates way however there has been quite a few erroneous statements made re Macs.

Regardless of any other issue the Mac has one key application that I would not want to do without and that is Aperture which is a Mac only application - it does all my image processing from Raw to final offering be it Web site, photo albums, slideshows. The only reason I take images from Aperture to Photoshop and back is to carry out keystone corrections.

As for Macs being for non IT types - a bit misleading I have spent most of my time with and of computers - however I want a computer to work for me not me for it. Hence I changed to using a Mac nearly 8 years ago. OSX the operating system uses a Unix base which is quite a techy base but very well hidden away if you do not want to get deep and dirty at the Command Line level.

Cost - yes more expensive at the start but after three years you can sell the machine for a significant amount of money - a few years back I sold a Powermac that was 5 years old for over 600 - you try that with a 5 year old Windows machine.

Applications are very reasonably priced and obtainable via the Apple App store and by online directories of applications.
Macs are not only for graphics apps they can be made to do all things.

So back to your 'doze love in. <g>
Old 2nd January 2012
davidsa

Smile Re: New Laptop Help

I don't know your circumstances so forgive me if I am way off beam.

But do you HAVE to have a laptop? You get more computer/ with a desktop, and you can choose the monitor want rather than whatever comes on the laptop - perhaps a really good one suitable for working with digital images. You can also upgrade your hard drive, or add another one to hold your increasing collection of pictures. In fact you can chop and change most of the components to your heart's content.

If you do this I would suggest finding a local assembler and having a machine built for you rather than going for a branded box at PC-World or whatever - more flexible, easier upgrades, and you will get to know the technician who makes it.

If you MUST have a laptop - maybe you need to travel around with it, or you have very limited space, then:

- I have been impressed with the ACER range recently

- Beware of top-end laptops with seperate video cards (that is not built into the motherboard). I have had a bad experience and know others who have too. Some of these are too complicated for their own good - and expensive to repair.

As to Windows vs Mac, I go along with what has been said. Macs look good, and usually works well, but they are very expensive for what they are and in general you are limited in the software you can use (and their philosophy of life!) They are expensive to upgrade and you can't do much/anything to them yourself. Of course if you crave MAC stability you can always go Linux, but that's another ballgame (except that Mac software is closely related to Linux)

Hope that helps!
Old 2nd January 2012

Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts

i agree whoeheartedly with davidsa.

I recently splashed out on a quality 27" monitor for my desktop. The difference it makes to viewing and editing pics is well worth the expense. (B grade stock 300)

I also bought a dell base unit form the dell outlet (unfortunatley for the lad not me) which as a super-dooper i7 processor, 8gb ram etc etc etc. (Saved about 300 getting ot from the outlet)

The total cost of these two was about 900 but together they would make a SERIOUSLEY good comp for photography for years to come, way better than anything a laptop could offer.
Old 2nd January 2012

Liked 57 Times in 36 Posts

What ever you buy, January is the best month. The companies sell off stuff that didn't shift at Christmas before the new ones come in in February. Also allow for anti virus software (another nightmare as to what works and what clogs up the computer) and any photo processing software you want to buy.
My last purchase was a 17" Dell laptop. I wanted a slightly larger screen to make it easier to work on photos. I also boughta cordless mouse as I can't be bothered fiddling with a small pad at the base of the keyboard. And I lug it around a lot. For Christmas this year I was given a Wacom pad which should (I haven't used it enough yet) make it easier to work on my pictures.

Lots of toys.
Old 3rd January 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benedict View Post
Get a Laptop running Windows 7 (84bit preferably ) with 8Gb Ram.
You can get a MAC but whatever you get will be fairly obselete within 3/4 years - so you have to think of the cost over the period,unless your work specifically requires that you need a MAC.
I'd hate to think my 4.5 yr old Macbook Pro is obsolete... considering I have a 200 GB 7200 RPM HD, and 6GB of Ram, running OSX Lion. I can always upgrade that hardrive as well. At the end of the day, most people don't use their computers to their full potential anyway, particularly the processor and graphics card, which really are the only things you won't upgrade (before upgrading to a new laptop all together). I'll also note, concerning limitations to the software you can use... I'm running Windows 7 on my Mac as well, haven't run into any software I can't use
Old 3rd January 2012

Liked 1,322 Times in 795 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ean View Post
I'd hate to think my 4.5 yr old Macbook Pro is obsolete..
Plenty of life left in it, I'm running a 7 year old desktop, one of the last PowerPC's.

David M's Photoblog
Old 3rd January 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekW View Post
I would have stayed out of this discussion while the 'dozers tell each other how there is no other way than the Gates way however there has been quite a few erroneous statements made re Macs.

So back to your 'doze love in. <g>

It would appear from the the tone of your posting that you have a real beef about replies given to the original questioner - Everybody has an opinion on their experiences with Laptops and or Desktops. Quite wwhy you should word your reply in the way you have I am not sure,it contributes little or nothing to the debate.

You obviously like MACS while others prefer Windows based Laptops - then we are all HAPPY .

People may not remember exactly what you did, or what you said, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
Old 3rd January 2012

Well I LURVE Mac's ! but they are VERY VERY EXPENSIVE ! However, their system architecture is quite simply the best ! You will not find anything else in Ad Agency Creative Depts - which is who helped with the Original Specs !

... its just that 1) some esoteric s/ware I run is not Mac compat ! and 2) I wanted a laptop & Desktop with 8Gb RAM for photo editing for my 1,000 budget !

the ONE photo album
Old 3rd January 2012

Liked 542 Times in 380 Posts

I refer you to the discussions in this forum about comments in other photo or camera forums about the deficiencies of Olympus DSLRs the opinions expressed are mainly made by users with no experience of Oly cameras.

Ditto for computers - I object to opinions being expressed as facts and facts being misinterpreted. I attempt to correct the incorrect statements.