Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > For sale or wanted small ads

For sale or wanted small ads Advertise items you no longer need, as well as interest in items you are looking for. Non-commercial small-ads only. Buyers please take maximum precautions as we can offer no protection from fraudsters.

Old 13th August 2011

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts
Lensmaster Gimbal RH1

Came across this on my Bird Club Forum. I have not been a fan of tripods for nature work as most heads require too much effort to use with a moving subject. A few birders I know use a gimbal head with some success but I felt that these are too large and heavy for active use. This one is simpler and much lighter, only slightly heavier than my Manfrotto 322RC, and are a lot less expensive than the normal Wimberley type. Really only useful for lenses with a rotating tripod mount but would suit me for use with my 300mm f2.8. I shall be purchasing one soon so will keep you posted on the usability.

http://www.lensmaster.co.uk/rh1.htm

David
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David Morison For This Useful Post:
Tordan58 (14th August 2011)
Old 13th August 2011

Liked 959 Times in 371 Posts
Re: Lensmaster Gimbal RH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Morison View Post
Came across this on my Bird Club Forum. I have not been a fan of tripods for nature work as most heads require too much effort to use with a moving subject. A few birders I know use a gimbal head with some success but I felt that these are too large and heavy for active use. This one is simpler and much lighter, only slightly heavier than my Manfrotto 322RC, and are a lot less expensive than the normal Wimberley type. Really only useful for lenses with a rotating tripod mount but would suit me for use with my 300mm f2.8. I shall be purchasing one soon so will keep you posted on the usability.

http://www.lensmaster.co.uk/rh1.htm

David
I have one of these David. It is good to some degree, from a hide, or static shots but I tend to hand hold my 300mm 2.8 for moving birds, the head just does not cut it for that.
Mine goes under the name of Jobo but the one on your link looks identical.
Old 13th August 2011

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnheatingman View Post
Surely, this post would have been more suited to the Accessory Talk Board. rather than the For Sale or Wanted small ads.
Yes, you are right, perhaps some kind moderator could move it for me?

Thanks

David
Old 13th August 2011

Liked 348 Times in 144 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka

I've never been convinced of the need for tripods or monopods for the sort of nature photography I do. Like Sapper I find them too restrictive and they add to an already bulky handful of kit. Most of my shooting with the 300 and 90-250 is from a hide but I use handheld when needed. In the UK hides are usually well suited to photography and you can use a bean bag or just rest your elbows. Sadly this is not so when abroad and I find hides on many reserves in France very unfriendly, especially for the big lenses. Indeed I sometimes leave the big lens in the motor caravan and take the 50-200 and EC14 simply because the slits aren't big enough or there's nowhere to get a steady position.

I'd be interested to hear your experience.

EM1ii, EM10ii
Old 15th August 2011

Liked 1,423 Times in 366 Posts

Thanks for sharing the pointer. I have been looking around and this is one that looks interesting. There are virtually no hides or shelters where I live, I often bring a rucksack with tripod and scope and a gimbal head would be a nice companion.

Which one would you pick - the GH1 or GH2? I suppose it has to do with if the lens tripod collar can be rotated or not.

/Tord
Old 15th August 2011

Liked 959 Times in 371 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tordan58 View Post
Thanks for sharing the pointer. I have been looking around and this is one that looks interesting. There are virtually no hides or shelters where I live, I often bring a rucksack with tripod and scope and a gimbal head would be a nice companion.

Which one would you pick - the GH1 or GH2? I suppose it has to do with if the lens tripod collar can be rotated or not.

/Tord
I use the equivalent of the G1 with my E 5 +300mm 2.8, it holds the combo very well.
Old 15th August 2011

Liked 1,323 Times in 796 Posts

If you're handy working metal it's possible to build your own gimbal head. I built my own 20 odd years ago when I was using a 600mm.

I used 2 Benbo ball head panning bases (available separately in those days) for the pivot points, some angle iron and some 1/4" aluminium plate for the frame. It wasn't pretty but it worked well.

David M's Photoblog