Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Events

Events Find out about and discuss events relating to the Olympus E-System.

Old 24th May 2011

Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Thames Barge Race, Maldon, Essex - 9th July 2011

This is just a feeler to see if anyone might be interested and if it is worth me investigating further.

In previous years I have watched the sail barges and yachts return from the race making their way back down the Blackwater Estuary to Maldon and there has been a significant amount of action "on the water" to capture, along with the other sights in and around the Maldon area.

The following link will give you some idea about Thames barges, these are magnificant sailing barges which use to transport goods and are now been converted for pleasure trips.

Thames Sailing Barge

My initial thought is to capture the barges on their return to Maldon which will be sometime in the late afternoon. If anyone wishes to we could convene earlier and have a stroll along the navigation to the weir and back along the river. I would intend viewing the barges from the Heybridge side the estuary near the Basin locks where there is a couple of pubs if we need to "wet our whistles". While we watch some of the boats entering the lock.

After the barges have passed we could hop in our cars if desired and get around to the Hythe where the barges moor. There is likely to be quite a lot of activity on the Hythe that evening as this significant event on the Maldon calendar (there are a few more pubs on the Hythe and a good fish and chip shop on the high street).

I'll try and post a few images from my previous visits to give you a feeling for the event in the next couple of days.

Simon

Last edited by Zuiko; 27th June 2011 at 10:05 AM.
Old 24th May 2011

Liked 348 Times in 144 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka
Re: Potential Event - Thames Barge Race, Maldon, Essex - 9th July 2011

Sadly I'm already booked for something else otherwise I'd be there like a shot. My family, who lived in Tollesbury, owned several barges but none have survived. Strongly recommended to anyone who likes taking marine photos.

EM1ii, EM10ii
Old 24th May 2011

Liked 82 Times in 47 Posts

I have a real soft spot for old sailing boats so I would be interested in such an event.
Old 24th May 2011

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 798 Times in 467 Posts

A good idea Simon.
These barges are fantastic and beautifuly preserved. I'm very fortunate and get to make one or two trips on one each year as a guide on birdwatching trips run by Topsail Charters of Maldon and Essex Wildlife Trust. The Topsail website www.top-sail.co.uk has some interesting information on the barges and some 360 degree interactive panos.

Regards.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
Old 24th May 2011

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts

I'd be interested (other commitments permitting!).

Andrew
Old 24th May 2011
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,504 Times in 2,141 Posts

I'm up for it, Simon, count me in.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 24th May 2011

Peter

I wondered who did the talk on the barge for the Essex Wildlife Trust. I've been tempted to book one of the trips for a long time, but never got around to it.

Simon
Old 24th May 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
Peter

I wondered who did the talk on the barge for the Essex Wildlife Trust. I've been tempted to book one of the trips for a long time, but never got around to it.

Simon
Well I guess you've been put off the idea now you know I'm involved.

Seriously, the trips are good fun. There is a small team from Abberton who do this and we have three of us on each trip to point out and identify birds and other wildlife. Weather can have big effect on what we see but the sail is always interesting. Having said that I did one of the trips from Maldon which combines a short sail with a guided walk along the sea wall when we had snow showers and a gale and couldn't get off the quay. Even that worked out as Paul, the owner, gave a fascinating off the cuff talk about the barges and we still had the excellent hot meal that is provided. Then unfortunately one of my colleagues asked if anyone still wanted to go for the walk and six people said yes! Not the best conditions for birding.

Regards

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Old 25th May 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterBirder View Post
Well I guess you've been put off the idea now you know I'm involved.

Seriously, the trips are good fun. There is a small team from Abberton who do this and we have three of us on each trip to point out and identify birds and other wildlife. Weather can have big effect on what we see but the sail is always interesting. Having said that I did one of the trips from Maldon which combines a short sail with a guided walk along the sea wall when we had snow showers and a gale and couldn't get off the quay. Even that worked out as Paul, the owner, gave a fascinating off the cuff talk about the barges and we still had the excellent hot meal that is provided. Then unfortunately one of my colleagues asked if anyone still wanted to go for the walk and six people said yes! Not the best conditions for birding.

Regards
Hi Peter,

I went on one of these trips a couple of years ago and fortunately we had better weather than the trip you describe! It was a great day out, I wonder if you was one of our guides?

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 25th May 2011
gwpics

I am very tempted by this but it is quite a long drive. Maybe I could make a weekend of it. Any idea what time would be best to get to Maldon?

Thanks!

Gerry
Old 25th May 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Hi Peter,

I went on one of these trips a couple of years ago and fortunately we had better weather than the trip you describe! It was a great day out, I wonder if you was one of our guides?
Possibly, especialy if the experience put you off birding.

I hope to be OK for 9 July. My op went fine on Friday but as often happens I've developed a slight infection in the wound which will delay recovery a bit.

Regards

OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Old 25th May 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterBirder View Post
Possibly, especialy if the experience put you off birding.

I hope to be OK for 9 July. My op went fine on Friday but as often happens I've developed a slight infection in the wound which will delay recovery a bit.

Regards
Hi Peter,

Glad the op went well, but sorry to hear about the infection. Hope it clears up soon, but I expect you'll feel sore for a while anyway. Here's wishing you a speedy recovery.

The Following User Says Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
PeterBirder (25th May 2011)
Old 25th May 2011

Thanked 1,155 Times in 1,030 Posts
Liked 1,234 Times in 804 Posts

Glad all went well take care of yourself.

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
The Following User Says Thank You to Wee man For This Useful Post:
PeterBirder (25th May 2011)
Old 29th May 2011
gwpics

I have asked here what time during the day it would be good to get there, and also sent a personal email to Simon, and so far both questions have remain unanswered. I am beginning to feel unwanted there.

Gerry
Old 29th May 2011

Gerry

I haven't been ignoring you, I was hoping to get a response to confirm the likely time, but I've not yet received anything yet.

From what I can find out on various websites the race vary rarely finishes on time as it is dependant on the final course that is set and the weather conditions. My best guess is they'll pass around 3-5pm, but I'll try and get some further clarity on this.

If it is a nice day, a walk along the sea wall or a bit of bird spotting on old quarry lake can easily kill an hour or two and there is always the pub if things get really bad.

Sorry for not being able to provide any more certainty.

Simon