Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 3rd March 2011
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,504 Times in 2,141 Posts
Angry RANT Canon are C**P

NOT their Cameras (although that is open to debate) but their PRINTERS. Specifically, my iP4500. Don't get me wrong, the print quality is excellent, I can't fault it. But why, oh why can't I print A6 borderless cards? The paper size selection has a custom setting where you can enter the correct size you need to the millimeter but the problem comes when you select borderless printing - the size reverts to a listed option. Try selecting borderless first and you find that custom is missing from the available paper sizes. Thinking I must be missing something I've visited an inkjet forum, where it is acknowledged as a common problem with Canon, with no solution except trimming the card

As I say, A6 (148 x 105mm) is not a recognized size in Canon World, the nearest is that well known size "Hagaki" (148 x 100mm). 5mm may not sound a lot but, as I keep telling my wife, it makes a big difference!

If only Olympus made inkjet printers.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 4th March 2011

Liked 36 Times in 18 Posts
Re: RANT Canon are C**P

Thanks for the post - I am in the process of chosing a new inkjet printer and was haveging between Epson and canon so this has come at a good time to add into the mix of plusses and minusses

Roger
Old 4th March 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

John,
I know that the Xerox MFD printers we use at work have an issue with no margin printing. According to the Xerox rep A4 isn't 297 X 210 universally so the printers are set to discard a 2mm area around each edge -so it is really 293 X 206. We have some historical documents that were created with no margins and these produce a variety of responses from the printers - none of which are acceptable.
Old 4th March 2011

Thanked 1,339 Times in 1,044 Posts
Liked 2,177 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
NOT their Cameras (although that is open to debate) but their PRINTERS. Specifically, my iP4500. Don't get me wrong, the print quality is excellent, I can't fault it. But why, oh why can't I print A6 borderless cards? The paper size selection has a custom setting where you can enter the correct size you need to the millimeter but the problem comes when you select borderless printing - the size reverts to a listed option. Try selecting borderless first and you find that custom is missing from the available paper sizes. Thinking I must be missing something I've visited an inkjet forum, where it is acknowledged as a common problem with Canon, with no solution except trimming the card

As I say, A6 (148 x 105mm) is not a recognized size in Canon World, the nearest is that well known size "Hagaki" (148 x 100mm). 5mm may not sound a lot but, as I keep telling my wife, it makes a big difference!

If only Olympus made inkjet printers.
There is a saying (at least in our part of the world) that there are 3 ways of doing things: "The right way, the wrong way & the American way." Maybe there is a 4th way too.

I only have a Canon MP810 3 in 1 printer with slide scanner & it's print quality leaves bands through my photos. Deep cleans & taking the head out & cleaning with metho helps but is still not perfect. I'd like to get a better photo quality A3 printer. Any suggestions for something affordable?
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 4th March 2011
Administrator

I've just had a play with my daughter's Kodak printer and that has similar issues. Why should it be possible to print borderless on some sizes and not others? I can't see why it cannot be a custom function.

When it's time to get another printer I'll definitely check some of the more detailed functions rather than just the headline dpi figures, I can think of some great questions to ask the sales person in PC World!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 4th March 2011

Quote:
I've just had a play with my daughter's Kodak printer and that has similar issues. Why should it be possible to print borderless on some sizes and not others? I can't see why it cannot be a custom function.

When it's time to get another printer I'll definitely check some of the more detailed functions rather than just the headline dpi figures, I can think of some great questions to ask the sales person in PC World!
And the answer will be: "Er, umm, I'll have to check with my supervisor."
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Old 5th March 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
And the answer will be: "Er, umm, I'll have to check with my supervisor."
And the supervisor's reply will be something along the lines of, "This model accepts a wide range of multi aspect print media with highly customizable options, Sir."

Very helpful.

Old 5th March 2011

Quote:
And the supervisor's reply will be something along the lines of, "This model accepts a wide range of multi aspect print media with highly customizable options, Sir."

Very helpful.
Yep, you've got it in one!
Old 5th March 2011

Liked 68 Times in 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerMac View Post
Thanks for the post - I am in the process of chosing a new inkjet printer and was haveging between Epson and canon so this has come at a good time to add into the mix of plusses and minusses

Roger
Roger - if you decide on Canon take a look at the Canon Outlet on ebay there are often bargains to be had. I bought a iP4600 for 34 with Canon 12 month warranty. They currently have iP4700 going for 46 in half an hour.

Flickr