Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus Pen-F

Olympus Pen-F The first Pen to integrate an electronic viewfinder

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 28th December 2017

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 6,006 Times in 1,955 Posts
Happiness is.. a Pen F and a few small primes

I spent a few hours today walking about Lille with my Pen F (black model ) and a few primes in a small Think Tank bag (12, 17, 25 and 45). Not only was the experience of taking the shots hugely enjoyable, but viewing the results later on the PC screen brings a great deal of satisfaction too.

The optical quality of these little lenses really is great and they pair so well with the Pen. I'm so impressed with the resulting images - many taken in very challenging light (bright winter sunshine, so deep shadows and bright highlights). The 20Mp sensor definitely does better at DR (shot raw) and together with some multi shot HDR (rapidly taken with high speed electronic shutter) it's amazing what can be done.

Anyhow here are a few shots which I think show my point:

Alley Cat - massive DR. Single shot and a bit overexposed. I managed to drag back the highlights a lot in LR though so whilst there are still some burnt-out areas around the cat's snout, it's still a useable image. 17mm f1.8 at f2.5:

Alley Cat by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

Cathedral Ceiling - again massive DR, but this time I shot 3 frames one stop apart and then merged them in LR. I'm very pleased with the final image and the colours and tones in it. 45mm at f4:

Ceiling at Notre Dame de la Treille by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

Street in Lille - massive DR again and another 3 shot sequence. 17mm at f4 and sharp corner to corner:

A Street in Lille by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

Girl Gang - taken in fading light at ISO 800. Face detect with the 17mm at f1.8 and very much grabbed so I'm amazed it's as sharp as it is. Electronic shutter with the camera at waist height also meant no one even realised I'd taken a shot:

Girl Gang by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

Paradise in Lille - single shot with high DR. I exposed for the highlights which meant the shot OOC was nearly black over all the foreground. I have used all the tricks I know in LR to get it to look "natural". The noise levels are excellent considering what I've done to it. It's also hand held at 1/10s and is completely free of camera shake. I used such a long exposure to stop visible streaks from water dripping from the edge of the cave roof above. 12mm at f11 (small aperture so I could drag the shutter. It's also shot at ISO 80):

Petit coin de paradis a Lille by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

When I see people complaining that the m43 sensor is too small to deliver top rate IQ I think it's because they've never tried.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following Users Liked This Post:
999RAR (29th December 2017), AMc (4th January 2018), cliff (30th December 2017), drmarkf (29th December 2017), Greytop (1st January 2018), Gromit (16th January 2018), IainMacD (28th December 2017), Internaut (29th December 2017), Jim Ford (29th December 2017), OM USer (29th December 2017), Otto (29th December 2017), pault (4th January 2018), RobEW (29th December 2017), Ross the fiddler (29th December 2017), shenstone (29th December 2017), Simon Bee (29th December 2017), steverh (8th February 2018), Yorkie (6th January 2018)