Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 7th July 2015

Liked 68 Times in 37 Posts
Re: Business Economics

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
As you say, a judge might well not see it that way; but who amongst us has the dosh to indulge in an expensive court case for the sake of a £300 DVD/HDD recorder?
County Court claim for <£300 fees £25. Send letter before action. The cost of defending the claim would be such as to make it unlikely the supplier would do so. Be clear that your contract is with the Seller although if you have guarantee from the manufacturer you may have additional rights.

A free guarantee for goods, including goods supplied with a service, is legally binding on the person offering the guarantee if the goods were bought on or after 31 March 2003. Guarantees for goods are usually provided by the manufacturer and give you extra rights in addition to the rights you already have against the seller.

I would not shrug my shoulders and walk away.

Flickr
The Following User Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (7th July 2015)
Old 7th July 2015

Liked 2,407 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adagio View Post
County Court claim for <300 fees 25. Send letter before action. The cost of defending the claim would be such as to make it unlikely the supplier would do so. Be clear that your contract is with the Seller although if you have guarantee from the manufacturer you may have additional rights.

A free guarantee for goods, including goods supplied with a service, is legally binding on the person offering the guarantee if the goods were bought on or after 31 March 2003. Guarantees for goods are usually provided by the manufacturer and give you extra rights in addition to the rights you already have against the seller.

I would not shrug my shoulders and walk away.
Hear hear. Added to which I doubt that any manufacturer would want the publicity associated with a Cointy Court trial.

I had a longstanding dispute with Evans Halshaw over a juddering clutch on a Vauxhall Astra that we had bought from them, and which the salesman promised had been resolved.

Vauxhall refused to honour their 'unlimited mileage warranty' as clutches are classed as wear and tear items, so they will only consider warranty claims up to 18,500 miles. (We had reported it at 13,000 miles but the car had now done 22,000 miles.)

It is also interesting that Vauxhall should set the limit at 18,500 miles when the service interval is 20,000 miles!

To add insult to injury, EH also refused to honour their own extended warranty as the failure was gradual, and not sudden.

Anyhow, I got fed up with arguing with EH and issued proceedings. I received a phone call the same day offering to replace the clutch without charge, with a courtesy car thrown in!

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Jim Ford (7th July 2015)
Old 7th July 2015

Rule Number One: Never ever believe that any business is "on your side". None of them are.

Ultimately they are only interested in your money and many of them will gladly lie, cheat and shaft you to get what they want.

The more mainstream the product the worse they are.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 7th July 2015
Administrator

Liked 1,606 Times in 928 Posts

Buy TWO get ONE free

If you feel like having fun at the checkout

SO:

If I buy two for 2, is one 2 and the other one free...
In which case I'll keep the free one - thank you...

or

If I buy two for 2 and get a third one free, can I return the two and get a 2 credit note (can't get a refund as they would see I got another free)

Interesting thought came to mind, having read about a person stealing items from the trolley of a person at the till (after it had been "scanned")

The shop tried to say that having been scanned it was now a purchased item, so they were not responsible for its loss. In which case, if scanning is deemed to transfer ownership, then you can simply walk away with the items...

As someone has said: the "every little helps" is entirely in their favor

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
KeithL (8th July 2015)
Old 8th July 2015

Liked 542 Times in 380 Posts

We visited a Sculpture Park, we are both members of a the Art Fund which gave each member the ability to take a guest into the park for free. The ticket seller interpreted it as each of us had the ability to invite the other into the park without charge, so we got in free.
Graham_of_Rainham (8th July 2015), Jim Ford (8th July 2015)
Old 8th July 2015

Liked 1,382 Times in 810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekW View Post
We visited a Sculpture Park, we are both members of a the Art Fund which gave each member the ability to take a guest into the park for free. The ticket seller interpreted it as each of us had the ability to invite the other into the park without charge, so we got in free.
Now that sounds like good business practice.
Old 8th July 2015

Liked 115 Times in 69 Posts

Tesco: 12 Corrs Light £11.50, 15 Corrs Light £12

I'm so glad that business and economics degree has come in useful!
Old 8th July 2015

Liked 1,688 Times in 1,087 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_kaholik View Post
Tesco: 12 Corrs Light 11.50, 15 Corrs Light 12
I wouldn't drink the stuff at any price!

Jim
Old 8th July 2015

Liked 115 Times in 69 Posts

Has content, I'm on a budget
Old 9th July 2015

Liked 936 Times in 593 Posts

I have a Panasonic DVD/HDD recorder which is around 6 or 7 years old. I can't recall it ever updating its firmware, and apart from the odd hiccup when it decides it won't play NTSC DVDs (easily fixed by a reset) it's worked perfectly - up until a few weeks back when the TV tuner died. A quick Google revealed this is a common fault and provided the instructions to fix it. A visit to Maplin and an hour or so's work replacing a couple of capacitors (cost 1.10!) and it's all fine again. I cannot see how a manufacturer could wriggle out of a warranty claim on the basis the firmware is only licensed. If the product as a whole does not work, it's irrelevant which part is causing the problem. If a car's steering rack fails during the warranty period it's the car manufacturer who's liable, not the manufacturer of the part, surely? The same would apply to the engine management computer even though most of its function is in firmware.

As for "offers", I did notice in Morrison's recently that it was cheaper to buy three 1kg bags of cat food than one 3kg bag. Which? ran an article on these dodgy practices a month or two back and it seems they're everywhere.
The Following User Says Thank You to Otto For This Useful Post:
KeithL (10th July 2015)
Old 9th July 2015

Smaller coffee jars often work out cheaper per 100 grams than the bigger jars.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 10th July 2015

Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
I wouldn't drink the stuff at any price!

Jim
I thought you, or someone else, already had before it was canned/bottled.

Photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/42941818@N07/
KeithL (10th July 2015)
Old 10th July 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by byegad View Post
I thought you, or someone else, already had before it was canned/bottled.
Wasn't that Watney's Jim?

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
KeithL (10th July 2015)
Old 10th July 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
I have a Panasonic DVD/HDD recorder which is around 6 or 7 years old. I can't recall it ever updating its firmware, and apart from the odd hiccup when it decides it won't play NTSC DVDs (easily fixed by a reset) it's worked perfectly - up until a few weeks back when the TV tuner died. A quick Google revealed this is a common fault and provided the instructions to fix it. A visit to Maplin and an hour or so's work replacing a couple of capacitors (cost £1.10!) and it's all fine again. I cannot see how a manufacturer could wriggle out of a warranty claim on the basis the firmware is only licensed. If the product as a whole does not work, it's irrelevant which part is causing the problem. If a car's steering rack fails during the warranty period it's the car manufacturer who's liable, not the manufacturer of the part, surely? The same would apply to the engine management computer even though most of its function is in firmware.

As for "offers", I did notice in Morrison's recently that it was cheaper to buy three 1kg bags of cat food than one 3kg bag. Which? ran an article on these dodgy practices a month or two back and it seems they're everywhere.
Now that's really interesting, Otto; my old Panasonic behaves as though the TV tuner has died. I'll look it up.

There's another point here, too: If you talk to the shop you bought it from, they tell you it can't be fixed, or quote a silly price, to get you to buy another new one. As an electronics engineer, I could fix many things, but did I want to after a day's work? No. Having worked in automotive companies for almost four decades, do I want to repair my own car? No. But, to be honest, you should be able to rely on what the shop/garage/vendor tells you. All too often, you can't. A classic is tyres. When I took my Focus for service to the Ford main dealer last November, the service manager rang my mobile and told me the front tyres needed replacing. I said, leave them, I'll have a look. The trick? The b----rs measure them at the 2mm markers, so they can claim they are worn. "Ford recommend they are changed at 3mm." 3mm plus 2mm marker depth = almost brand new tyres. Good gag, that. 7 or 8,000 miles on, they STILL don't need changing, nor are they anywhere near it.

I hear what you say about engine management software; the big difference in cars is that so much is covered by legislation, and that legislation gives the consumer teeth when things go wrong (although some manufacturers try to scare the consumer off when they demand action or a refund/buy back.) I had a Citroen C3 a while back; a front spring failed at 27,000 miles, and wrecked the tyre. The main dealer insisted I would have to pay over £400 to get it sorted - it was about a month out of warranty. I rang Citroen in Reading (IIRC) and complained. I said to the lady who answered, that should have been a category A recall - it shouldn't be possible for a broken spring to destroy a tyre. She agreed with me, and told the garage to refund about 2/3 of the price. If you know what you are talking about, you can get action.

The main thing is, cars are covered by Type Approval; that does not apply to consumer goods like DVDs and so on. Just have a look at the small print in the warranty. As I said, when I hit the screwed-up firmware problem in the past, I rang TSO and had quite a long discussion about it; TSO's guy said, basically, with the software / firmware, you don't have a leg to stand on in most cases.

We previously had a Philips unit, and that had issues after updates too. So far as I'm aware, some makers use updates, others don't. You don't know when the update is being done on most modern ones - it's during the night. The Philips one actually told you!

The other issue, as I said, is EMI. All consumer electronics should survive noisy mains, but many aren't well protected. And there is no legislation forcing them to comply with ENs. As a consumer, you can't prove whether or not you have a problem due to noisy mains. In villages such as ours, noisy mains is often a problem - but consumer electronics should cope with it.
Old 10th July 2015

Panasonic HDD/DVDs - read the reviews, folks!
Panasonic DMR-EX86EB-K DVD Recorder: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics Panasonic DMR-EX86EB-K DVD Recorder: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Both of ours were of this genus. (EX86)