Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 4th February 2015

Liked 305 Times in 193 Posts
Re: Oh dear - I had a play with the Fuji XT1 today...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Here is an official response from the webmaster (that's me, by the way).

This site is operated by my company, the Write Technology Ltd, and it has backing from Olympus UK, both technical and financial, although the funding does not cover all our costs. The site was established jointly by myself at the suggestion of Mark Thackara at Olympus UK. It is not an official Olympus owned and operated site but it was created to support Olympus users and their relationship with Olympus UK.

We operate this site with respect to its raison-d'etre that is to provide an online community for the discussion of Olympus system camera and related topics and in relation to the site's one and only commercial patron, Olympus UK. Therefore, we do need to operate the site with a level of respect and sensibility towards Olympus UK.

So what does that mean?

It does not mean that we ban any mention of other brands in discussions. It does not mean that we ban any reasoned criticism or complaint about Olympus. But at the same time we need to be balanced and respect the core nature of this site.

This site is not really editorially independent. It is designed to satisfy the needs of people who are either thinking of buying or already using Olympus gear, sourced from Olympus UK. If you wish to have a full-blown (but reasoned) debate about the advantages of a rival system, this site may not be the best place to do that. Our sibling site, Four Thirds User, is completely independent so that may be a better place to conduct such a debate, although we would reject malicious promotion of non FT/MFT gear there, too.

What all this boils down to is that if you have something to say about an alternative brand, make it brief and to the point and where possible balance your comments carefully. Be aware of the fact that content you post like this may be interpreted as being unreasonable on this site.

I am currently reviewing our terms and conditions to reflect the above so that myself and the forum moderators can have a better benchmark to work to when having to deal with contentious discussions here.

So what about the origination of this particular thread? I would have though twice about posting it. While Fuji sensors have undeniably attractive features, they have also been criticised by testers I have a great deal of respect for. There is no such thing as a perfect sensor or a perfect camera. That point needs to be underscored whenever we have a discussion like this.

So, please exercise a level of diplomacy, thank you.

Ian
I have followed this post from the start and have thought of adding my own 'two penneth worth' however perhaps unusually for me I have failed to find the appropriate wording to convey my feelings on the subject, however Ian's response is perfect and what I personally believe to be the correct one.

Of course there are many other very good cameras and brands 'out there' and it is only natural that from time to time one may look at or even consider buying such kit which in turn often leads to one wanting to 'share' their experiences of such kit (and possibly comparisons too) with fellow members of the forum, however I do believe without advocating full blown censorship one should just be 'mindful' of the only financial patron this forum has and the benefits 'we' members gain from that support.

As Ian has also said, possibly the fairest and most mindful way to have a 'long' or 'in-depth' discussion about non Olympus related brands would be to convey your thoughts on a 'non-brand specific' forum and provide a link to those 'thoughts' via a 'short' post of perhaps one or two lines along the lines of ......."Anyone interested in my comparison of the Olympus Exxx to the XXX Brand feel free to click on this this link" ......for example.

Kindest regards, Simon
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Simon Bee For This Useful Post:
pandora (4th February 2015), pault (4th February 2015), Wee man (4th February 2015)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Ralph Harwood (4th February 2015), Ricoh (4th February 2015)