Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 12th September 2012

Liked 35 Times in 27 Posts
Re: What do you or do not miss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
I miss leaving work at 5.00pm prompt on a Friday afternoon, getting straight in the car which was already packed with weekend camping gear, collecting my mates, filling up with petrol at 38p per litre, stopping at a long-gone greasy spoon near Grantham for a fry-up of toxic proportions and arriving at the Brotherwater Inn in time for last orders, which was neccesary preparation for pitching the tent in the dark, in the rain on a muddy excuse for a campsite.

I miss the freeze-dried "Raven" backpacking meals we had in those days. We used to joke that the cardboard packaginng tasted better and was probably more nutritious! I remember a friend once getting clever and bringing what he thought was a boil in the bag meal, only to discover when he read the instructions that it was "Heat in the oven for 20 minutes at gas mark 6." There wasn't an oven within miles!

I miss my friend on a Saturday evening, taking the cap off a new bottle of whisky and throwing it over his shoulder, saying "We won't be needing that again."

I miss the long drive home on a Sunday evening, eyes propped open with matchsticks, tired but happy and smelling like a wet dog. I miss struggling into work on Monday morning and coasting the day like a zombie, as you could back then. I miss sitting down with a map and a malt on Monday evening to plan the next weekend.

I miss the solo trips when I didn't bother to pitch a tent on arrival, as the planned dawn start was only a few hours away. I miss dropping the back seats in my Vauxhall Cavalier to make almost enough space to lay out diagonally or simply wriggling into my bivi bag on some comfortable rocks beside the car.

I miss lingering on the hills at the end of the day, long after most others have returned to the valley, before pitching my tent at a secluded tarn. I miss being on the summits before dawn simply to watch the sunrise, or gain a head start on a long day. I miss tentatively descending to the valley by the light of my head torch or a full moon.

I miss sunbathing on the summit for an hour on a hot, lazy day or screaming in defiance at the wind as it lacerates my face with horizontally driven ice particles. I miss the solitude of the hills, the feeling of belonging to them, becoming attuned to my environment and spiritual home. I simply miss the hills in every sense that is possible.

I would gladly trade my remaining days, however many that might be, for just one more perfect day in the hills. It would be the middle of May, before the midges were out, a warm but not hot day with a gentle, cooling breeze. The sky would be that fresh blue, which often follows overnight rain and there would be plenty of clouds to cast dappled shadows across the land. I would chose to traverse An Teallach and would gain the first summit almost effortlessly, as I once could. Then I would follow the crest of the ridge, moving as confidently and sure-footed as I once did, exhilerated by the exposure and scrambling. What a day that would be, a day to end all days on what, had everything gone to plan, would have eventually been my last two Munros.

Just Beautiful, and very moving Zuiko.
Old 12th September 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

and in no particular order :

My youth ( now that I have the experience to go with it )
Medium format photography ( I know it is still around,but who shoots in it any more )
Side burns
Winkle picker shoes ( just like Noel Edmonds on Deal or no Deal )
Chelsea boots
Mini skirts
Hot pants
My old MGB + the blond in Hot Pants or better still Mini skirt
My older Triumph Vitesse ( a coffin on wheels if ever there was one )
Driving gloves ( do they actually make them any more )
The Rolling Stones ( the Beatles were too refined for me )

memory starting to fade now ..........

People may not remember exactly what you did, or what you said, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
The Following User Says Thank You to Benedict For This Useful Post:
kidslateinlife (12th September 2012)
Old 12th September 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,504 Times in 2,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benedict View Post

Medium format photography ( I know it is still around,but who shoots in it any more )
Side burns
Chelsea boots
Mini skirts
Hot pants

A fair amount of this list I don't miss at all, but only because I never had it in the first place. I wish I did have a memory of a mini-skirted blond sitting next to me in an MBG, so long as her name wasn't Lola - better add the Kinks to the list along with the Stones!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following User Says Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
kidslateinlife (12th September 2012)
Old 12th September 2012

Liked 35 Times in 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benedict View Post

Here here.
Just starting to get into film, medium format next on list
Side burns

Actually wearing mine now, have two pairs in fact

Chelsea boots
Got some at home.

Mini skirts.... Hmmmm, can't admit to that
Hot pants...... Or those
Had one of those MGB GT, and the blonde

Had a Triumph Dolly, my first car with velour and overdrive and adjustable steering.

Have been guilty of that, but it's a stoning offence now.

So the memories live on
Old 12th September 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The Kinks ..... yep good as well
AND
The Beach Boys
AND
Black Sabbath

better stop now .... my memory is coming back - I am beginning to remember the girl(s) in hotpants

People may not remember exactly what you did, or what you said, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
Old 12th September 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidslateinlife View Post
Best fish and chips are in RYE... east sussex
Nope, Black Country Museum.
--------------------------
Old 12th September 2012

Liked 57 Times in 36 Posts

John
Now you're cooking with gas.
I remember the joy, after a wet day on the hill, of putting the damp tweed breeches that had started to dry out in the pub under the sleeping bag but on top of the Karrimat in the vain hope it would dry overnight in the tent. And the exquisite agony of putting them back on in the morning damp and congealed.

And then there is the pleasure on a cold, frosty morning halfway up the hill, when you need to get rid of the last of yesterday evening's beer, of discovering that your long johns are on back to front.

But..... listening to the reassuring roar of the Primus warming up the tent and that first glorious cuppa before you put on the bacon, black pudding and eggs and then get out of the sleeping bag. The second cuppa was never as good.

As for on the hills; romping over the Rhum Cuillin solo without seeing a soul but having the West Coast set out before you from Mull to Torridon and Nevis to Lewis.
or turning down a friendly helicopter lift from Corrour to my car at Loch an Eilean for the mind blowing silence of the Lairig Ghru to round of a circuit of Braeriach, Cairn Toul and its satellites. 26 miles, 3 Munros and 11 hours. I was lean and mean then. And there is photographic evidence, shot on an OM-1.

Lots of toys.
Old 12th September 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,504 Times in 2,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer View Post
John
Now you're cooking with gas.
I remember the joy, after a wet day on the hill, of putting the damp tweed breeches that had started to dry out in the pub under the sleeping bag but on top of the Karrimat in the vain hope it would dry overnight in the tent. And the exquisite agony of putting them back on in the morning damp and congealed.

And then there is the pleasure on a cold, frosty morning halfway up the hill, when you need to get rid of the last of yesterday evening's beer, of discovering that your long johns are on back to front.

But..... listening to the reassuring roar of the Primus warming up the tent and that first glorious cuppa before you put on the bacon, black pudding and eggs and then get out of the sleeping bag. The second cuppa was never as good.

As for on the hills; romping over the Rhum Cuillin solo without seeing a soul but having the West Coast set out before you from Mull to Torridon and Nevis to Lewis.
or turning down a friendly helicopter lift from Corrour to my car at Loch an Eilean for the mind blowing silence of the Lairig Ghru to round of a circuit of Braeriach, Cairn Toul and its satellites. 26 miles, 3 Munros and 11 hours. I was lean and mean then. And there is photographic evidence, shot on an OM-1.
Memories such as these are precious. I reckon we could each fill a book, Duncan!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau