Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Events

Events Find out about and discuss events relating to the Olympus E-System.

Old 28th July 2012

Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Re: Mersea Island Evening Meet - 1st August

I'm easy, where and when we meet.

Simon
Old 28th July 2012

Liked 959 Times in 371 Posts

Same here John. Don't know the area so cannot suggest a meeting place.
Old 28th July 2012
Grumpy Member

Liked 539 Times in 249 Posts

Hi Guys

Sorry but I've been offline most of the week as it was Cadet week and I've been afloat all week. That's all done and dusted now so time to look at the coming Wednesday.

In terms of the meet point I suggest the main car park in the village next to the library. I'll post directions before the day. From there we can walk to the beach which is only 5 mins.

Depending on final numbers and weather we can park one or more cars at the likely end point.

Perhaps we can have a final roll call with car numbers so we can work this out.

For those who want it we can have swift one in WMYC afterwards as I am a member and can sign you in.

cheers

Hec
Old 28th July 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,504 Times in 2,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Hec View Post
Hi Guys

Sorry but I've been offline most of the week as it was Cadet week and I've been afloat all week. That's all done and dusted now so time to look at the coming Wednesday.

In terms of the meet point I suggest the main car park in the village next to the library. I'll post directions before the day. From there we can walk to the beach which is only 5 mins.

Depending on final numbers and weather we can park one or more cars at the likely end point.

Perhaps we can have a final roll call with car numbers so we can work this out.

For those who want it we can have swift one in WMYC afterwards as I am a member and can sign you in.

cheers

Hec
Thanks Hec. Roughly how far is the proposed walk?

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 28th July 2012

I'll be there with my motor. Tracey's off to see her sister for the day, so I can turn up anytime, although I can't be out too late (no midnight walks for me) as I have an early start the next day.

Simon
Old 29th July 2012
Grumpy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Thanks Hec. Roughly how far is the proposed walk?
We can do as little or as much as people prefer. If we start at the western end of the beach and range from there along Coast Road and the waterfront area around the Hammerhead that gives a large scope for all sorts of images in a relatively short distance. If we did that cars would be easy. All within less than a mile.

Equally we could venture onto the sea wall beyond this area which is open marsh looking into the sunset. Less detail interest; more wide open spaces. In this case a car or two at the end of the sea wall would be good but not essential if we doubled back rather than do a long walk as that would not bring a great many additional image variations to be honest. Add a mile or two if people wanted to venture further onto the sea wall.

If we did the waterfront area I could put my car in the WMYC car park and I can ferry people back to their cars in the village. No problem. It's a 15 - 20 min walk from WMYC back to where I suggest people leave their cars.

I suggest we see what the weather is like on the day but stick to our starting point to keep things simple.

As to start time I have a lot on at work and even though I will work from home I will not be able to meet before about 18:00. I'll publish the start location details on Monday if that's OK.

cheers

Hec
Old 29th July 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Hec View Post
We can do as little or as much as people prefer. If we start at the western end of the beach and range from there along Coast Road and the waterfront area around the Hammerhead that gives a large scope for all sorts of images in a relatively short distance. If we did that cars would be easy. All within less than a mile.

Equally we could venture onto the sea wall beyond this area which is open marsh looking into the sunset. Less detail interest; more wide open spaces. In this case a car or two at the end of the sea wall would be good but not essential if we doubled back rather than do a long walk as that would not bring a great many additional image variations to be honest. Add a mile or two if people wanted to venture further onto the sea wall.

If we did the waterfront area I could put my car in the WMYC car park and I can ferry people back to their cars in the village. No problem. It's a 15 - 20 min walk from WMYC back to where I suggest people leave their cars.

I suggest we see what the weather is like on the day but stick to our starting point to keep things simple.

As to start time I have a lot on at work and even though I will work from home I will not be able to meet before about 18:00. I'll publish the start location details on Monday if that's OK.

cheers

Hec
That's great Hec, thank you.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 29th July 2012
Administrator

Guys, I'll aim to be in the suggested car park by 4.30 at the latest, if anyone wishes to join me. We can either take advantage of the good weather for photos (the forcast at this stage is good) or find somewhere for a chat and a coffee. Either way, we'll return to the car park about 6.00 pm to meet Hec and whoever else wants to meet at that time (exact time to be confirmed by Hec next week - he has a lot of work on). Can everybody make either of these two times? Let me know which one you are up for.

The walking distances mentioned by Hec seem quite reasonable (even for me in my current dilapidated state ) - are they OK for everyone else?

I'm really looking forward to this meet.

Old 29th July 2012

Liked 959 Times in 371 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Guys, I'll aim to be in the suggested car park by 4.30 at the latest, if anyone wishes to join me. We can either take advantage of the good weather for photos (the forcast at this stage is good) or find somewhere for a chat and a coffee. Either way, we'll return to the car park about 6.00 pm to meet Hec and whoever else wants to meet at that time (exact time to be confirmed by Hec next week - he has a lot of work on). Can everybody make either of these two times? Let me know which one you are up for.

The walking distances mentioned by Hec seem quite reasonable (even for me in my current dilapidated state ) - are they OK for everyone else?

I'm really looking forward to this meet.
Sounds fine to me John & Hec. I will be at the car park at 4.30, see you all then. (Unless the weather is like it is now, chucking it down and hailstones!) (And lightening)
Old 29th July 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper View Post
Sounds fine to me John & Hec. I will be at the car park at 4.30, see you all then. (Unless the weather is like it is now, chucking it down and hailstones!) (And lightening)
It's fine and sunny here, but it is starting to cloud over.

Old 29th July 2012

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 798 Times in 467 Posts

Hi Hec and John.
18:00 at the Library works best for me.

John.
There's a nice Art Cafe just down the road from the Library I can recommend. Good food and lots of local photographs on display. It's just opposite the Church.

Looking forward to seeing you all.

Regards.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
Old 29th July 2012

John / Hec

I'm good for the 4:30 start, could i suggest we have an hour stroll and then get a light snack before our 6:00 start?

Looking forward to meeting up. Does anyone have either the lumix 100-300 or the Olympus 75-300. Tempted to get a long telephoto for the OMD and the Lumix is tempting for the price compared to the Oly, but would nice to have a try of one.

Simon
Old 29th July 2012

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 798 Times in 467 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
John / Hec

Does anyone have either the lumix 100-300 or the Olympus 75-300. Tempted to get a long telephoto for the OMD and the Lumix is tempting for the price compared to the Oly, but would nice to have a try of one.

Simon
Hi Simon.
I've recently acquired the Lumix 100-300 and you're most welcome to try it out.I like it a lot and have just posted some sunset shots using it.
Look forward to seeing you on Wednesday.

Regards.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
Old 29th July 2012

Thanks Peter see you on Wednesday.

Simon
The Following User Says Thank You to The Saint For This Useful Post:
PeterBirder (29th July 2012)
Old 30th July 2012
Grumpy Member

Re: Mersea Island Evening Meet - 1st August - Directions

For those coming to the centre of the worth while universe

Directions :-

In Google maps search for CO5 8QB. This is the Post Office. The car park is opposite. If you go into street view you will see the Post office and if you do a 180 using the directions jobby you will see the entrance to the car park alongside the library.

I will get there for 18:00. Look for the grumpy old $% .

I'll get my car to WMYC to provide ferry capablity and we can agree at the start what we want to do.

cheers

Hec
PeterBirder (30th July 2012), Zuiko (30th July 2012)