Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 15th May 2011
heyjoe

CS5 Raw levels/exposure query

Hello all

I have a 18% gray/white/black card to use when taking photos. In regular CS5 I go onto levels and use the 3 pippettes for the corresponding colours to ensure that not only is the photograph correctly exposed, but any other photos taken at the same time/ place are also correctly exposed-I'd guess you'd call it batch processing.

After starting to use Raw recently, I cant find the levels pippettes anywhere in raw. So, am I missing something, or is there a different way to set the levels and do batch processing? Or do I do the raw processing first, and then do the pippettes in levels after?

Thanks

Joe
Old 15th May 2011

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts
Re: CS5 Raw levels/exposure query

Hi Joe, in ACR (Raw) there are no pippets as in levels in fact there is no levels in ACR (you will find Levels in Capture One Raw).

The way to do it in ACR is to hold the Alt key down ( the screen goes black) and move the exposure slider to the right, as soon as you see any light parts appear you have passed the white point so bring it back a little untill it goes.

To set the black point, again hold the Alt key down and move the Black slider to set the Black point the same way. The lightness slider controls the midtones but ther is no accurate way to measure this.

If you wish to do it on the card only I would suggest setting the highlight and shadow warning to active ( click on the triangles on each side of the graph) and do the same without the Alt key until the warning appear on the areas of the test card then back of a little till they go away.

You can then copy the exposure and black settings only and batch apply them to any other images with the same exposure.

Feel free to ask further questions if needed.

Red is Highlight (white point exceeded) Blue is Shadow( Black point exceeded)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/