Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk

Accessory talk Those important extra system components.

Old 7th March 2010
Dave_T

Which cam bag for an E600/620?

Well now I've got my kit I need something unobtrusive to carry it in, I like the look of the Crumpler bags because they don't look like obvious camera bags, but before I spend my hard earned cash would like some real life input and opinions from you guys!

Following is the kit I normally carry

E600 + 14-42mm kit lens + HLD-5 battery grip
40 -150mm lens
Couple of filters
Reading glasses
Lens cloth
Couple of spare batteries

I currently use a bag I bought on holiday a couple of years ago, measures 28cm x 22cm x 12cm and is JUST big enough to get the camera and the 40-150 in.

As I said I like to the look of the Crumplers (although would consider other makes), was thinking of the Muffin Top 4000 or one of the Messenger bags, but am a bit worried about fitting the E600 in with the lens and the battery grip attached, does anyone out there manage this? Also any other suggestions greatly received, as at the moment anything that can't fit in my bag goes in my pockets, and I'm a bit fed up with walking around with my coat bulging!

Cheers, Dave
Old 7th March 2010
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts
Re: Which cam bag for an E600/620?

If you're willing to invest a little more money than average for a top-quality bag, can I suggest the Billingham range? A small Hadley should fit the bill and will last forever.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 7th March 2010

Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts

Hadleys are great. I would try before you buy as the one I have only really allows me three compartments - E-3, and lenses in the other two plus the two pockets at the front. Mind you they arn't cheap but they are really well made, are British and should last a lifetime.!

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 8th March 2010

Liked 142 Times in 89 Posts

I use both a Billingham Hadley Pro and one of those Lowepros which twist around (Slingshot?). Both have their pros and cons. I use the Lowepro if I am going to be walking aroud all day it's more comfortable but diificult to acces anything other than the camera. The Hadley is comfortable and it easy to use anything in the bag but it is a little less secure (as in easy to open).
Jim
Old 8th March 2010

Liked 47 Times in 16 Posts

I too was looking at a Crumpler for carrying stuff other than out walking. The fact that it doesn't look like a camera bag is the best thing about it.

I'd be interested in knowing if people have them, and what they think.

I have got a fairly big handbag which takes a few spare lenses at a pinch, but really want a hybrid handbag/camera bag.

Cindy

Cameras: EM1 MK2 and Mk1, E-620, E-410, Om4Ti
Lenses: 12-60, 50-200, Panny 100-400, 9-18, ZD 50mm, 14-54 Mk1, 70-300, 40-150, 14-42, OM 50mm F3.5 macro
Also: EC14, EX25, FS35, Vanguard tripod, and far too many bags!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The air of heaven is that which flows between a horse's ears...."
Old 8th March 2010

Liked 129 Times in 42 Posts

I've had a couple of Crumplers and really liked them - very inconspicuous (unless you go for the bright colours) and well made. Not suited for carrying a lot of kit or hillwalking, but I guess you know that already... if I can find an E-600 anywhere that's what I'll be getting again.
Old 8th March 2010
beardedwombat

Only problem with crumpler shoulder bags is that the strap slips off your shoulder cos the pad thingy isn't grippy. I use a Domke shoulder bag which has rubber threads woven into the strap, it grips beautifully and the soft bag is very comfortable to carry.
Cheers
Chris
Old 8th March 2010
Dave_T

@ StephenL, benvendetta, and maccabeej: thanks for the suggestions, had a look at the Billinghams and they're nice products but a bit beyond my budget and not as 'stealthy' as I would like, think I've used up my budget and more just buying my kit!

So I've just put an order into SRS Microsystems for a Crumpler Muffin Top 5500 (where do they get the names from!) in a nice bland Espresso colour. I'm off to Barcelona next week and I'm a bit desperate for a bag to carry the kit, hopefully it'll be delivered tomorrow.

@cinders: I'll let you know how I get on with it although hopefully people won't see it as a handbag...although my wife does call my other bag the 'manbag'. Hmmm...maybe it's just my inner feminine side that really likes the Crumplers...

Thanks again, Dave
Old 8th March 2010
Jake

Get the olympus esystem bag for 4.97 delivered from PC world before it sells out!
Old 8th March 2010
Dave_T

Ordered one of these as well, at 4.97 (delivered!) you just can't go wrong! Not exactly the stealth bag I wanted, but at that price....
Old 8th March 2010

Liked 583 Times in 259 Posts

Have you looked at the Vanguard range? Have just bought a Pampas 37 at the Focus show yesterday, really stylish, well made and great value. I've been looking for a smart camera bag that also can be a handbag, and this is a slingshot type with very good easy access to the camera (plus other items can easily be accessed. I'm using it for the EP-1 so you might want the next size up for the E600.

Amanda
Old 8th March 2010

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Dave,
I've a Hama slingshot type - no model description which cost me all of 12.95 from 7dayshop.com. It holds the e600 with 14-42 plus grip as well as my 70-300 and 40-150 in the base compartment. It also holds my FL-36, spare batteries, CF card holder, 300mm reflector(scrunched up) and cleaning kit. I added a bit of extra foam padding to the inside of the base and an extra divider but that all and it works great. You can still get it from Snappy Snaps.

I also ordered and paid for the Olympus bag from PCWorld today but have now received the following email:

'Dear James,

Thank you for your recent PC World order.

Unfortunately we may have a problem with progressing your order within the timescale indicated on our website. We will contact you shortly to discuss the matter with you, but in the meantime please accept our apologies for the potential delay.

Your order number: PCW10000XXXXX

What happens next?

We will contact you to discuss your order.'

I'm not holding my breath
Jamie
Old 9th March 2010
Rod Souter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie allan View Post

'

Thank you for your recent PC World order.

Unfortunately we may have a problem with progressing your order within the timescale indicated on our website. We will contact you shortly to discuss the matter with you, but in the meantime please accept our apologies for the potential delay.

Your order number: PCW10000XXXXX

What happens next?

We will contact you to discuss your order.'

I'm not holding my breath
Jamie

Ditto

Rod
Old 9th March 2010
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

I note that this bag is no longer available, having tried to order one this morning.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 9th March 2010

Liked 129 Times in 42 Posts

I ordered one yesterday afternoon and haven't received any 'problem' email as yet - could I have got one of the last available? Doesn't sound like the kind of luck I normally have!