Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 26th November 2009

Liked 43 Times in 34 Posts
Jessops?

Yesterday I went to my local Jessops branch Halifax, I was looking for a pan and tilt head (Giottos). The assistant was not very helpful and didn't seem able to even find out if they sold them. So I left, but later, looking on the internet I found what I thought would ok for me. I looked at quite a few sites, and with trepidation approached the "Jessops" site. Their price was as low as anyone else, so I ordered the item at around 1130 hrs.

It was delivered this morning at 0945 by dhl with no charge for postage. by any standards, thats pretty good.
Old 26th November 2009
Administrator

Thanked 3,165 Times in 2,473 Posts
Liked 4,474 Times in 2,125 Posts
Re: Jessops?

I think Jessops is a Jekyll and Hyde company. They're either very good or very bad and often it all depends on who you get to speak to.

Not long ago I bought a set of Giottos legs in my local Jessops at a very reasonable price. Without prompting, the assistant produced three different giottos heads as potential matches. As it happened I already had a suitable spare B&S at home and therefore didn't need one, but the initiative was nevertheless appreciated.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 26th November 2009

Liked 66 Times in 31 Posts

I agree with you John. Sometimes its as though they cant be bothered with you. I went in the other week to try an E620 for size, and I was told to look on the internet... not much help when you want to know how something "feels"

I'm half tempted to go in and look at the nikon or canon displays to see how much interest I get from the staff then, and then when I have the staff falling over themselves to help, ask for Olympus help

Its a shame that humans dont come with autofocus, like cameras do!
Old 26th November 2009
EH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesy View Post
I agree with you John. Sometimes its as though they cant be bothered with you. I went in the other week to try an E620 for size, and I was told to look on the internet... not much help when you want to know how something "feels"

I'm half tempted to go in and look at the nikon or canon displays to see how much interest I get from the staff then, and then when I have the staff falling over themselves to help, ask for Olympus help
I like that idea Tracey!
Old 26th November 2009

Liked 180 Times in 120 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EH1 View Post
I like that idea Tracey!
Been there, done exactly that, only to be told that Oly probably wouldn't suit my needs, and that I should really consider a Canon body.
The assistant seemed a bit nonplussed when I suggested it might not work with any of my current Olympus lenses.
Odd really as I'd never got round to discussing what my needs actually were.

The nearest I have to a home page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
They're Watching You!
Old 26th November 2009
bazza2764

i called into the jessops at the metrocentre in gateshead, just to see what kind of olympus gear they had, and couldnt find any on display, plenty of "koff" nikon, canon stuff, but no oly, i waited for the sales guy to ask " interested in canon?. i said no i use olympus, he just shrugged his shoulders and went back to looking at the book he had on the checkout desk haha.... i aint been back since lol
Old 26th November 2009
Administrator

If you really want to see a Jessop's sales assistant struggle out of their depth, ask them what they actually know about photography!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 26th November 2009

Liked 76 Times in 23 Posts

I found the Jessops in Cardiff to be quite pro Olympus, but any other photo store, point you straight to the Nikon and Canon stuff, but I suppose its down to the person serving and their tastes not so much the store.

Wedding Photography Wales | Commercial Photography | Party Photographer Cardiff | Cheap Business Cards | Photoshop Training Cardiff
Old 27th November 2009
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

The Jessops World Camera Centre in Edinburgh has at least three assistants who own Oly kit and are very enthusiastic photographers. One of the Jessops salespeople in Fort Kinnaird is a very keen 'tog and definitely neutral - he won't say what he owns/uses.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 27th November 2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
The Jessops World Camera Centre in Edinburgh has at least three assistants who own Oly kit and are very enthusiastic photographers. One of the Jessops salespeople in Fort Kinnaird is a very keen 'tog and definitely neutral - he won't say what he owns/uses.
It always amazes me what a wild variation in policy, attitude and knowledge can be found between one Jessops store and another. You wouldn't expect that degree of variation in a frachise let alone a corporate plc!

What is going on with the Jessops senior management? Could this be fundemental to why they're in the present predicament? Sometimes bean counters are so busy re-counting their beans that they lose half of them under the table!

Old 27th November 2009

Liked 43 Times in 34 Posts

I think possibly it is too much expantion too quickly is the main problem and employing youngsters who only really know the internet. when they first started everyone knew their way round a camera. Judging from my recent experiance its probably better to use their website.
Old 27th November 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Theres one guy that used to work in Jessops is now in Jacobs next door he was knowledgeable on the Olympus kit.
Old 27th November 2009
EH1

I wonder if most the staff simply dont care as they know there is no future working for Jessops!