Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk > General accessories

General accessories Batteries, eye cups, power grips, straps, eyepiece magnifiers, cables, remotes and much more.

Old 30th July 2019

Liked 325 Times in 134 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka
Third party batteries for the EM1ii (and EM1X)

Iíve recently acquired an EM1ii and HLD9 and wanted a BLH1 lookalike battery. There have been other posts on this subject, mainly relating to the compatibility or otherwise of third party batteries with the Oly charger and camera battery display. Things seem to have changed so Iíve started another thread. This is what I found. When comparing capacities itís worth remembering the Oly version is 1720 which is less than most of the third party offerings.

On eBay (in the order I found them)
Vhbw. Capacity 1600 and it is stated it can be used with the standard charger. There is no mention of what is displayed on the camera.
Intensilo. Capacity 2000 and it is stated it can be used with the standard charger. There is no mention of what is displayed on the camera. Appears to come from the same vendor as vhbw.
DOT.FOTO. Capacities of 1720 and 2450. It claims to be guaranteed to operate in exactly the same way as the manufacturerís original battery but there are no specific details in relation to charger or camera display.
Cameron Sino. Capacities of 1050, 1900 and 2250. No mention of the precise compatibility with either charger or camera.

On Amazon (in the order I found them)
Enegon. Capacity 1750. Stated to be 100% compatible but no specific details.
Patona Premium series. Capacity 2040. Stated to be fully decoded and 100% compatible with original battery. Can be charged in original charger. Two recent reviews say it works with the original charger and displays the battery life correctly. Available since 29th March 2019. The photo may be of an older version of the battery. Given the availability date this may be the same as the last battery below.
Fugasin. Capacity 1720. No specific claims of compatibility but one review says it works with the battery life indicator. Another review says it doesnít hold its charge like the original. Thatís disappointing as the original is also rated 1720.
Patona Premium series. Capacity 2040. This appears to be a different battery from the one above as it is stated not to be decoded; the camera battery life display does not work; and only the Patona charger can be used. Available since 10th October 2017.
DOT.PHOTO. Capacity 2450. As under eBay above. No customer reviews.
Batterytec. Capacity 1600. No specific claims about compatibility.
Patona Platinum. Capacity 2250. Claimed to be the first time, a third-party manufacturer can now offer BLH-1 batteries, which can also be charged in the original charger and the remaining life indicator works. No warning message in the camera display. No reviews. Available since 14th June 2019. This is the one I ordered.
Patona Premium series. Capacity 2040. Same claim as Patona Platinum. Available since 29th March 2019. The photo shows a slightly different looking battery to the two premium series mentioned above.

I needed an in-car charger so bought an ExPro for £7.95. It is stated to be compatible with Oly and (on further enquiry) other third party batteries. Iíve used ExPro BLN1 batteries but they donít appear to do a BLH1.

EM1i, EM1ii, EM10ii
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Melaka For This Useful Post:
drmarkf (6th August 2019), Keith-369 (30th July 2019), raichea (17th August 2019)
The Following User Liked This Post:
raichea (17th August 2019)
Old 30th July 2019

Liked 522 Times in 267 Posts
Re: Third party batteries for the EM1ii (and EM1X)

I've been using 2 x DTSE batteries (from Amazon) since I got my camera. I rotate the batteries so they all get a fair use and, so far, have had no problems. The only downfall is that they cannot be charged in the OEM charger so I had to buy a DSTE charger which is much slower than the OEM one.

The Patonas look good as and when my DSTE's fail.
Old 30th July 2019

Liked 546 Times in 187 Posts

Buy an EM1X and you'll get 2 Olympus batteries with it ...
Old 30th July 2019

Liked 725 Times in 492 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengeo View Post
Buy an EM1X and you'll get 2 Olympus batteries with it ...
Wow! A cheap way to get some batteries..... oh....
Old 30th July 2019

Liked 180 Times in 120 Posts

I can't speak about capacities yet, as both the camera and the extra batteries are fairly new additions to the household.

Intelsilo, My one claimed it was charging in the genuine charger, but gave pretty much zero life when inserted in the camera or grip.

Hence I bought an ExPro twin battery mains/12v charger direct from ExPro, which was only a couple of quid dearer than ebay/Amazon.
This charges up the Inselsilo OK, and when the battery is used in camera or grip, you do get the warning about using a non-Olympus battery on the camera's screen.
Seems to work OK though and appears to have reasonable life, but too soon to tell properly yet.

DotFoto, I haven't tried to charge from flat in the genuine charger as I wanted to be sure to have a fully charged battery when I went out for the day.
Charges OK on the ExPro charger and doesn't generate the non-Olympus warning in camera.
No idea of the life yet as I failed to flatten the Intelsilo when I went out yesterday,
About 500+ photos round a local pond (well I was playing with settings) using 300mm F4 with lens IS enabled. back screen in use all the time.
Power showed about 30% remaining when I got home.

The nearest I have to a home page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
They're Watching You!
Old 31st July 2019

Liked 3,249 Times in 1,753 Posts

I use only ExPro with EM-1 original and EP-2. However, I found that their standard (black) ones developed an expanding midriff, making the fit increasingly tighter after many rechargings.

I have been using their white ones with no problems for several years now.

Harold
Old 1st August 2019
Administrator

Thanked 2,534 Times in 1,274 Posts
Liked 1,715 Times in 774 Posts

I only have two batteries for my E-M1 Mark II - I've never needed more - and one is the original Olympus BLH-1 and the other is an ExPro. I find the latter to be an excellent alternative and very good value. I use their USB charger, which is compact and reasonably fast and I can charge it from my power bank away from an AC mains supply.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 1st August 2019

Liked 725 Times in 492 Posts

I bought a genuine spare and an ExPro along with a ExPro usb charger. Can’t say I’ve much experience of the ExPro as I’ve only ever needed the Olympus ones. Frustrating that the ExPro need their own dedicated charger although in its defence it weighs next to nothing so not a problem to haul on trips and as Ian mentioned, at least you can charge it on the go with a power bank.
Old 1st August 2019
Administrator

Thanked 2,534 Times in 1,274 Posts
Liked 1,715 Times in 774 Posts

Sounds like they did a better job with the E-M1 Mark II battery.

Ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ224 View Post
My only experience with Xpro was poor alas. With the EM1 1, the company failed to deliver the one ordered, but quickly sent another when interogatedÖ

Alas that battery was fairly useless. But having said that, many punters say they are OK...Ö..Takes yer pick and makes yer choice I guess...ÖÖÖ..
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 1st August 2019

Personally, I've found the ExPro batteries fine for the Mk1, but when I contacted them recently, they were unable to say when, or if, they were likely to be re-stocking BLH-1 equivalents for the Mk2.

They're Watching You!
Old 2nd August 2019

The problem appears to be with the decoding. I'm away at the moment and won't get to see the battery I've ordered until next week.

EM1i, EM1ii, EM10ii
Old 8th August 2019

Since my original post I have received the ExPro charger and two Patona Platinum batteries. Here is what I found.

ExPro charger. This is about half the thickness of the charger I have for the BLN1 battery and lighter. Thatís because it runs off USB only and doesnít have a direct mains option. In practice this is probably an advantage as nowadays you can often plug USB into a mains plug or socket. Most modern cars have USB or you can get an adapter for older cigarette lighter type fittings. It charges my Olympus and Patona Platinum batteries without a problem. My main use for it will be in the motor caravan and in the car when on safari.

Patona Platinum batteries
. These arrived about 40% charged according to the camera and there is no warning message. They charge in the original Olympus charger and the ExPro. I havenít been able to assess how long they last before needing to be recharged but in theory it should be about one third longer than the Olympus battery because of the greater capacity. The instructions say to discharge the battery to 5-7% for the first three occasions of use and then to charge fully.

Verdict. The ExPro charger and Patona Platinum batteries seem a cost effective alternative to the Olympus battery.

EM1i, EM1ii, EM10ii
The Following User Says Thank You to Melaka For This Useful Post:
peak4 (8th August 2019)
The Following User Liked This Post:
peak4 (8th August 2019)
Old 10th August 2019

To follow on from my Dot.Foto battery comments;
I spent an afternoon wandering round a local reserve with a 2450mAH Dot.Foto battery in the grip.
I didn't fully discharge it, but it seems to compare favourably with a genuine battery's capacity.
As regards compatibility and the claimed in-built chip.
Both grip and camera registered the partly discharged battery as 63%. the ExPro Charger claimed 70%, but I immediately took it out and dropped it in a genuine Olympus charger.
Unlike the Intelsilo one, the charger seemed to behave and charged it up correctly, as far as I can tell.
The camera claimed 100% when I popped the Dot.Foto battery back in the grip.

The Intelsilo battery, in the genuine charger, claimed to be charging OK, but immediately showed up flat in camera, though it charges fine in the ExPro charger.

They're Watching You!
Old 10th August 2019

Liked 1,634 Times in 1,046 Posts

I only use ExPro batteries and charger in my E-P5, and they work fine.Being able to charge with USB is a boon and as the charger is less than the size of a matchbox I carry it in my bag.

Jim
Old 10th August 2019

Liked 3,687 Times in 1,707 Posts

Must admit I have never yet had any problems with batteries that I bought with the EM1 2 two years ago at the Photo show. They last very well, and as I carry a spare battery life is just not a problem.

Have to say I have never had a day + on batteries, ie on a long trek.

My limited experience of Xpro with the EM1 1 was poor...Ö.

My Flickr