Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk

Accessory talk Those important extra system components.

Old 23rd May 2016

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wacom tablet adventures!

Hi Folks,

This adventure started at the Photography Show when I bought a Wacom Intuos photo tablet.

I loaded in the software as per the instructions and all seemed to be OK. However I found that having plugged the tablet into one of the front USB sockets it would not work it the computer was restarted for any reason. Going into the OS and looking up the Device Manager I found a yellow warning triangle over one of the USB drivers. It said "unable to start". I got round the problem by unplugging the tablet when shutting down the computer and plugging it in once it had been restarted.

As I have more devices with USB connections than there are sockets I have a USB hub with has more sockets that I currently need. I tried plugging it in to the hub and all is well and the tablet stays plugged in all of the time. The hub seems to act as some sort of buffer to the USB drivers.

I am still getting used to using the pen, and I advise anyone to look to see what they are picking up as it does not respond to a ball point!!

How does it react with software? Interestingly not very well with Photoshop or Lightroom CC. Older versions of PS such as PS Elements 11, CS5, or Lightroom 5 all work perfectly.

Corel Paintshop Pro X8 Ultimate and "After the Shot" also work very well. So much so that I am using Paintshop nearly all the time now. Using the pen is so much better than using a clunky mouse, and I wish that I had bought the tablet ages ago.

One thing that started to bother me was that where my hand rested on the tablet it began to feel sore. I looked at the area on my hand but could not see any obvious sore places. Then I looked at the tablet and could not see any sharp edges. So, it was all a bit of a puzzle.

I "Googled" "How does a Wacom pen work?". The answer is that operating area generates an electomagnetic field which is picked up by the pen and supplies it with power. I figured that might have been the cause of the problem. In the searches I found that there are special gloves for use on a tablet. The gloves have two fingers and can be worn on either hand.

I found that Amazon, amongst others, sell them and got one. I am very happy to report that my sore hand problem has been solved.

Without experiencing this problem myself I might have not quite believed it. So, if any of you have suffered sore hands when using one of these tablets try one of these gloves.

I hope my observations may be of use.

PS I went for a fairly cheap version!

Keep Smiling

John.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johnzsv For This Useful Post:
GRAHAMJ (24th May 2016), OM USer (23rd May 2016)
Old 23rd May 2016

Liked 1,632 Times in 1,044 Posts
Re: Wacom tablet adventures!

I gave up using my A5 Wacom Intuos tablet years ago. I just couldn't get used to the disconnect between the image on the screen and the pen in my hand a couple of feet away.

Jim
Old 23rd May 2016
Administrator

Liked 1,581 Times in 911 Posts

I've had a Wacom Tablet for years and never experienced any such problem.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 23rd May 2016

Liked 142 Times in 89 Posts

Which version of windows. If win10 see the tutorial on YouTube Art-Tips Wacom Pen and Tablet fixes for Windows 10. Might be relevant to win 8 also
(My Travels in Aus & NZ)
The Following User Says Thank You to maccabeej For This Useful Post:
Bikie John (25th May 2016)
Old 24th May 2016

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Jim

Thanks for the tip. The computer is running on Windows 10 and has 16GB RAM and the processor is running at about 3 GHz, so it should have the capacity.

Photoshop CC has not been behaving that well lately, so it might be some quirk in my computer. Still not to worry Paintshop Pro X8 Ultimate works with no problems, and I have just loaded in the free Google/Nik plugins and they work a treat as well!

I have to say that I really like using the pen

Keep smiling!
John.
Old 24th May 2016

Liked 729 Times in 487 Posts

I've been using Wacom tablets for many years and would struggle without one now. However:

1. I found it hard to get used to at first. I practised by paying idiot simple games like Minesweeper and Solitaire, and gradually the co-ordination became automatic, including using the lever switch for double-clink and right-click.

2. There appears to be a long-standing problem with Wacom and Windows where from time to time it just "loses" the tablet. Everything in Device Manager etc. looks fine but the tablet simply doesn't function. It is less common than it used to be but still happens occasionally on my Win 10 system (built new from scratch) and the most up to date drivers from Wacom. From looking on the web ages ago it looked like a classic problem where both M$ and Wacom claimed to be doing it right and it was the other one's fault

3. I had an irritating problem with Lightroom CC on Win 10 when it was new. The slider controls appeared to be sticky - so with an exposure adjustment for example I would start to drag and nothing would happen until I got to 0.5 of a stop when it would suddenly jump and then I could drag it around as normal. The way to stop it doing this is to turn off an option called "Windows Ink" - it is under the "mapping" tab in "Wacom tablet properties". Having done that, the sliders behave normally but is disables the pressure sensitivity in Photoshop. Which is also a pain. But now that we have three vendors - Adobe, M$ and Wacom - all claiming that it is the others at fault, the chances of it being fixed are pretty much zilch. If you search the web for windows ink wacom you should find stuff about it.

Despite all these irritations I very much prefer using a tablet and pen to a mouse for almost all applications. Hope this helps a bit.

John
Old 24th May 2016

John. If you find the video from my earlier posts it shows how to change pen and touch which makes it work properly. It still drops out occasionally but is more reliable
(My Travels in Aus & NZ)
Old 24th May 2016

Liked 556 Times in 269 Posts

Wacom tablet; I want one!
Daughter has a new Mac with a inbuilt pen and she said its like using pencil or pen on paper

wacom V mouse is like a charcoal brick V charcoal pencil so I have been told
I should have bought that instead the breeding macro lens
Old 25th May 2016

Liked 1,632 Times in 1,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanB View Post
Wacom tablet; I want one!
Daughter has a new Mac with a inbuilt pen and she said its like using pencil or pen on paper
It's very different drawing directly onto the screen to drawing onto a tablet a couple of feet away from the screen. As I said earlier, I couldn't get used to this disconnection (but maybe I should had tried for longer).

Jim
Old 25th May 2016

Liked 729 Times in 487 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccabeej View Post
John. If you find the video from my earlier posts it shows how to change pen and touch which makes it work properly. It still drops out occasionally but is more reliable
Thanks Jim. This is the video that I found:

Unfortunately it doesn't work! Regardless of the settings in the Windows "Pen and touch" panels, with Windows Ink set to on in the Wacom settings I still get sticky sliders (bad) and pressure sensitivity (good). With it switched off the sliders behave nicely (good) but I lose pressure sensitivity (bad - but not as bad as sticky sliders so this is what I stick with).

John
Old 25th May 2016

My son's partner, who incidentally has just produced our first grandchild, uses a Wacom Cintiq for her graphics. Basically a screen you draw on, but at about £1500 out of my reach especially after most recent lens acquisitions.
(My Travels in Aus & NZ)
Old 25th May 2016

Liked 443 Times in 218 Posts

I've used Wacom tablets for years but very intermittently as I tend to get out of the habit of picking up the pen and it takes time to get your hand in again. Wacom do recommend you spend a couple of days trying as it takes a while to unlearn the mouse.
In my heart I've always wanted the Cintuq but it's simply too expensive for my hobbiest needs. Interestingly the v2 Microsoft Surface has a pressure sensitive touch screen with pen built into a full PC which tempted me too - used they're cheaper than Cintiq
At the moment I only have a basic Bamboo Pen+touch - even Wacom's entry level devices are very, very good.
Old 25th May 2016

Liked 412 Times in 254 Posts

Hi there Everyone!

I've just treated myself to a Bamboo tablet and they are surprisingly good - for such a budget version I found that I saved a fair bit of time over using a mouse even the first time I used it. I think with a bit of practice I will get even faster. The only issue I have with it is I spend most of my time using my laptop on my lap and there is nowhere to put the tablet! I also spotted the Wacom combined screen / tablet and they looked very good, especially the 28" version, but I certainly wouldn't get that past the management as it was several thousand pounds!

Cheers,

Ralph.
Old 25th May 2016

Liked 556 Times in 269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
It's very different drawing directly onto the screen to drawing onto a tablet a couple of feet away from the screen. As I said earlier, I couldn't get used to this disconnection (but maybe I should had tried for longer).

Jim
yep; the older we are the longer it takes
the 'distance' thing wasn't a drama as much as the plastic on plastic feel was when I did have a wabcam years ago; "but maybe I should had tried for longer.

sort of used to my Jenkins brick now and it doesn't shake about as much a pen does these days

Tags
software, tablet, wacom