Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 14th May 2015

Liked 3,242 Times in 1,748 Posts
Idle Estate Agents

It used to be that you would make an appointment to view a property for sale which you wanted to view. You might be taken round by the estate agent or by the owner. The appointment would be more or less when it suited you.

Now such flexibility is rare. Viewings are only on opens days, when up to dozens of potential buyers take a look round, having been allocated a shared time slot on that day.

Open days are becoming Saturday or Sunday only, no weekdays. I have a relative who wants to buy but works every weekend...

Harold
Old 14th May 2015

Liked 2,313 Times in 1,524 Posts
Re: Idle Estate Agents

Thankfully it has been about fourteen years since we last had dealings with estate agents, and it wasn't good even then.

We were trying to sell my mother's bungalow, and had several estate agents all vying for the business.

They were doing this by claiming that they had clients desperate to buy, but none of them ever turned up.

On one occasion I am sure the estate agent's wife posed as the buyer as she seemed far more interested in him than the house!

I wouldn't have minded so much but it was a 650 mile round trip for me every time!

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 14th May 2015

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

YUK ! Estate Agents have always been the bug bear in the Property Market. They value up the price to get the business on their books, then persuade you down to accept an offer from a client they introduce to you

All I can say "Thanks" for the on-line Estate Agency Services

You book a viewing on line with the Vendor, by selecting the Vendors available date/time options open to you

The Vendor can either "shwo their own property during the viewing, or pay a bit extra for the Appointed Representative to show their property to Viewers

Currently, there is a "WAR on in Estate Agency" Many high Street Estate Agents have got the "hump" over on-line agencies, and the prices Zoople charge for entries on their web portals they set up "OnTheMarket.Com" and now only list their properties for NOW (from January 2015) on Right Move and OnTheMarket.Com or is that

Depends where you live down South 60% of people use Right Move to search for a home and 30% Zoopla ...

Up North its the reverse 60% Zoopla and 30% Right Move ...

How many people look on OnTheMarket.Com ? no stats available yet but OnTheMarket.Com "boast a £2m launch budget ..." Zoopla spend £8m per year minimum

Right now there are more buyers than sellers and many potential buyers who have not yet sold ; many people cannot see an future home and are not putting their home on the market BUT it all depends where you live

Some prices are going down and in other areas people are taking their home off the market to put it back on in a month ... as the new govt. takes hold (Labour had announced they would "scrap Stamp Duty on under £300,000 homes so lots of people were holding back until after the election - it could have applied to the first £300,000 thus people wanting a home over £300,000 may also have saved on the Stamp Duty - there was no full definition of the Labour "offer" being limited to homes of £300,000 and under, or over

I did not realise 2014 saw a recession in property markets

Now it seems prices are about to go up, and up ... as Councils have been slow to approve New Builds and stock is at an all time low (for most people, if you was a £1m home I think there are quite a few on the market

ps Estate Agents are livid at the upsurge of properties on the market with Tepilo and Purplebricks etc (on line only agencies) and the "reports they offer vendors on sale via these agencies defies belief of the "Secret Buyers" they have EXCLUSIVELY. Funny how competing high street agents will tell you Noob and Co (also in the high street) have no Secret Buyers, as all buyers look on the internet sites !
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 14th May 2015

Liked 115 Times in 69 Posts

I've been through a farse with them. On the market at the agent's suggested price, no interest. Their compulsory time was coming close, I explained clearly I was unhappy and all of a sudden lots of viewings!

So first sensible offer is in, and fingers crossed... Then it will be the beauty of buying again! Hopefully somewhere a little more leafy than London though.

I feel your pain everyone, its a headache dealing with them.
Old 14th May 2015

Thanked 1,326 Times in 1,033 Posts
Liked 2,134 Times in 1,140 Posts

Real estate agents & used car sellers can quite often come under the same umbrella or tarred with the same brush, if you get my drift.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 15th May 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
Real estate agents & used car sellers can quite often come under the same umbrella or tarred with the same brush, if you get my drift.
I agree.

There are certain types of business that seem to attract cowboys and 'get rich quick' merchants.

It used to be double glazing and used car salesmen, but I suspect it is any business where there is a mass market created by retail customers who don't really know what they are buying, and for whom, buying a car or double glazing is one of the biggest investments they will ever make.

Some of these salesmen will lie through their teeth to get a sale, but can never be found when the truth comes out.

We had double glazing fitted to our house about ten years ago. We went through the usual process of getting quotes, but decided on one particular brand because we liked the quality and style.

It was going to cost about £14,000 for cash, or £10,000 if we took out finance - even if it was for the minimum loan amount of £4,000. I didn't want finance but the figures we had been given made it a clear winner, so we went ahead.

The windows were duly fitted, and a form came through the post from the finance company showing one amount for the finance, and an additional amount of about £50 per month for compulsory payment protection insurance, which we did not want and had not been told about!

I called the finance company and was told that the PPI was compulsory, and that they wouldn't allow finance without it; even though we didn't want or need the finance in the first place. However, she did said that if we paid the outstanding amount off in full within fourteen days the agreement would be cancelled, so that is what we did.

HOWEVER, I then received a telephone call from a man claiming to be the window company's Finance Director, advising that we owed them £2,500 for the cancelled finance agreement, and that they would take us to court if payment was not received in full within seven days.

I pointed out that we were not informed about the PPI, but was told that the salesman had since left the company. (Strange how that always happens isn't it?)

I told him to get lost and said that I looked forward to meeting him at Court. I didn't hear another word after that!

But how many people would have simply paid up, scared witless of the 'C' word?

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 15th May 2015

As you say "Difficult is worth doing" sometimes

the ONE photo album
Old 15th May 2015

I would add that by changing from High Street Estate agent and fees of £17,000 + VAT @ 20%

we are now with Purplebricks and Fees of £699.00 + VAT 20%

so planning a few returns to the Seychelles with the "would have been" Estate Agents share and I will send them a postcard ...

the ONE photo album
Old 15th May 2015

Liked 3,242 Times in 1,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
They are the same. The used car seller/estate agent parks difficult-to-sell bangers on the drives of empty houses on their for sale list. This deters squatters, etc.

Harold
Old 15th May 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
They are the same. The used car seller/estate agent parks difficult-to-sell bangers on the drives of empty houses on their for sale list. This deters squatters, etc.

Harold
No Harold; they park difficult-to-sell bangers on the drives of empty houses and tell gullible Americans that there is an oil well under the property.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Liked This Post:
Ross the fiddler (16th May 2015)
Old 15th May 2015

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
I agree.

There are certain types of business that seem to attract cowboys and 'get rich quick' merchants.

It used to be double glazing and used car salesmen, but I suspect it is any business where there is a mass market created by retail customers who don't really know what they are buying, and for whom, buying a car or double glazing is one of the biggest investments they will ever make.

Some of these salesmen will lie through their teeth to get a sale, but can never be found when the truth comes out.

We had double glazing fitted to our house about ten years ago. We went through the usual process of getting quotes, but decided on one particular brand because we liked the quality and style.

It was going to cost about 14,000 for cash, or 10,000 if we took out finance - even if it was for the minimum loan amount of 4,000. I didn't want finance but the figures we had been given made it a clear winner, so we went ahead.

The windows were duly fitted, and a form came through the post from the finance company showing one amount for the finance, and an additional amount of about 50 per month for compulsory payment protection insurance, which we did not want and had not been told about!

I called the finance company and was told that the PPI was compulsory, and that they wouldn't allow finance without it; even though we didn't want or need the finance in the first place. However, she did said that if we paid the outstanding amount off in full within fourteen days the agreement would be cancelled, so that is what we did.

HOWEVER, I then received a telephone call from a man claiming to be the window company's Finance Director, advising that we owed them 2,500 for the cancelled finance agreement, and that they would take us to court if payment was not received in full within seven days.

I pointed out that we were not informed about the PPI, but was told that the salesman had since left the company. (Strange how that always happens isn't it?)

I told him to get lost and said that I looked forward to meeting him at Court. I didn't hear another word after that!

But how many people would have simply paid up, scared witless of the 'C' word?
Have you reclaimed the PPI that was mis-sold? Even a small amount is worth chasing with the punitive interest rates applied. All it takes is two letters...

Nick
Old 16th May 2015

Liked 1,382 Times in 810 Posts

None of you has mentioned that estate agents are the least likely people to have washed their hands after using the loo! Obviously they want to share their mucky methods with everyone else.....

We tried selling through a high st estate agent three years ago. The woman who came to do the advert couldn't take decent photos, wrote up a lousy advert, and I insisted she use my photos of the house plus she sorted the description. The description was still poor, but we had signed up with them, so couldn't do much about other than me writing a suitable letter to the boss man. As soon as we could, we changed. Next one wasn't a lot better - constantly urging us to reduce the price. We went back to second one late last year and asked for a re-valuation. He gave us the same figure as the much reduced one of 2 1/2 years before, despite the upsurge in prices!

We've given up.
Old 16th May 2015

Keith, I think the Estate Agent who comes out to value a home, sticks his finger in his mouth, licks it and feels the wind then says a "Price to get you on their books" ... months later, when they urge you to reduce the price, it is because they grossly overpriced it to start ... after all how many sell for the advertised price ?

BTW ... do they have any Professional Qualifications for their job ?

the ONE photo album
Old 16th May 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who's_E View Post
Have you reclaimed the PPI that was mis-sold? Even a small amount is worth chasing with the punitive interest rates applied. All it takes is two letters...

Nick
I just paid off the loan amount. They didn't get a penny out of me in interest or PPI.

As for estate agents, there is no need to have any qualifications whatsoever.

Even house surveyors don't need qualifications, although they would find it very difficult to get PI Insurance without qualifications unless they have proven experience as a builder I would imagine.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 16th May 2015

The chap who took our photos, also did the "Green Certificate" for the latter he did a BTEC Course I don't think there is even a BTEC Course for Estate Agents

the ONE photo album